16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  PR Bis Manuals?
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 am  Reply with quote

For those that have Precision Reloading' Bismuth manuals (their in house and Rosters) are they useful? Been looking for published 10ga bis data for new to me SxS and not a lot available. PR advertises they have tested data for the 10 in both the manuals.

Thought I'd ask if useful before investing, any info appreciated. Thanks,

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:33 am  Reply with quote

That data dates back to the Blanks to Supersonics manual.

There are quite a few buffered bismuth loads because at that time Bismuth shot was more brittle than it is today and would fracture. 17 loads in all.

8 loads of unbuffered Bismuth.

All the loads will fit.

I still use the buffered Bismuth loads, they will pattern very well.

megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have both the buffered lead & bismuth manuals, as well as the bismuth specific manual. They are best described as pamphlets. I don't have them in front of me, but lots of the loads were not very useful to me. I'd guess 1/3rd or so use an obsolete component like sr4756 powder. Many seemed to have the most odd wad choices, like an obscure Remington wad in a Federal plastic base hull. I load 10 gauge, but only 3 1/2" hulls. There were no useful loads for me in either manual, and I want to say the bismuth specific one was so pathetic I wrote PR asking for my money back.

Long story short, I do not like any Precision Reloading data. It is generally very weak compared to other sources. Their steel shot data is a prime example. Why would they even put their name on that stuff? There are a couple good loads in the buffered lead & bismuth, but the bismuth specific one is a waste of money. My best bismuth loads have come from the Lyman shotshell manual. I've got a great 10 gauge load, and a couple great 12 gauge loads. I have yet to find a 16 gauge load I really like. The Remington and Claybuster wads just don't work that great. I'm thinking of wildcatting my own from card wads.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:08 am  Reply with quote

Good stuff, appreciate the real world reply's. Am leery of buying into antiquated/OB info. Might still get the buffered manual. Agree that PR's 10ga steel load data seems conservative overall, but, FWIW, I use it similar to metallic loading data as my safe "min" charge baseline and build from there. Just yesterday purchased a bag of their 10ga wads, nitro cards and gas seals since RSI's wads are giving me fits regarding consistent patterns and test (PR test facility) results, quoting The Accountant movie...not happy....

"I have yet to find a 16 gauge load I really like." MSM2019 shared a sweetheart of a "wildcat" 16ga bis load w/me that if you don't mind a relatively complicated recipe works very well, out my Marlin90 it helped me christen the gun mid/late season with a true double of Hen & Drake Woodies, a Hooded Merg & a Bluebill. Thank you MSM2019!

I'd wager if you'd ask nicely he'd oblige sharing it again.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:50 am  Reply with quote

putz463,

Glad you liked the load. They aren't for everyone, but they do work very well.

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:10 am  Reply with quote

Follow up, purchased the PR Bis and Roster Manuals, I agree with mega's summary/opinion and to me; PR is somewhat useful with some recipes I will be giving a go, Rosters isn't so much...again, to me. Shame they both call out some OB powders (4756, sorely missed) and wads/hulls/powder combos that are suspicious by today's standards. But at least it's more fodder/reference for my reloading hobby/brain.

Aside; also picked up Rosters Shotgun Barrel Mod booklet; interesting read for the shotgun enthusiast's library...IMO.