16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Christmas Greetings From The Hunter Arms Co.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:31 am  Reply with quote

January 13, 1906 Sporting Life
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll2/id/36335

The Hunter Arms Co., Fulton, N. Y., has issued the following announcement:
The Lewis and Clark Exposition has recently honored our product by awarding a gold medal on both the Smith gun and the Hunter One-Trigger. This medal is the highest award given and we feel particularly proud of the achievement, as the committee conferring the honor was composed of gun experts and the decision was given in our favor in the face of the keenest possible competition. Our entire product during the year just past has attained successes of far-reaching importance.
At this Christmastide we would extend to you our message of “Peace and Good Will.” May 1906 find you brimming with vigorous health and strength, and assuring you of our kindest best wishes, we remain,
Yours very truly, The Hunter Arms Co., John Hunter, Secretary.

December 1, 1922 National Sportsman
Courtesy of http://library.centerofthewest.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/MS111/id/38/rec/142

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew,

From our family to yours, Merry Christmas and thanks much for the incredible memories of my Greatgrandfather and Hunter Arms at Christmas time. My Grandfather told me many stories of what transpired between the John Hunter Sr family and ours. Especially at Christmas time.

No doubt about it L.C. Smith Guns made great Christmas gifts, that have lasted many life times.

Thanks for an incredible Christmas memory.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Christmas Presents from Hunter Arms in 1900 & 1901 would have looked like this under our family Christmas tree. I own both guns even today.

1900 L.C. Smith Pigeon Gun

The 1901 #5 gun, I just acquired for my 2020 Christmas present, along with the Thomas Ferney 1821 style leather gun case, and Jeff's leather shotgun shell box. Hunter Arms still making Christmas memories, even today.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hayseed
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, very unique grain on the butt stock. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like that.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed,

I have never seen another one like it either, Mr Kraus had a way of making his guns very unique. From the engraving of his Ryman Gun Dogs to the wood he picked out for his gun stocks, it is definitely a made to order L.C. Smith #5 Gun.

Thank you sir for the nice comment and noticing how unique the #5 gun real is.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Hamish
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed wrote:
Dave, very unique grain on the butt stock. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like that.

Don’t look now Dave, but I think he said you’ve got a funny looking butt,,,,,, Laughing

Joking aside, it most certainly is a beautiful double!

Merry Christmas to all!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hamish,

Merry Christmas buddy, the butt stock is very unique no doubt about it. Been around sense 1901 and still in perfect shape. Had a new leather recoil pad installed on the old #5 gun, it will get used hunting Pheasants, Grouse & Woodcock may even shoot a few Wood Ducks also. All my pre 1913 L.C. Smith guns seem to have unique stocks, and have stood the test of time. I found a long time ago that unless the stocks of these pre 13 guns were abused in some manner, they have held up exceedingly well. I have no cracked stock L.C. Smith guns, except for one that I purchased from another hunter, who fell down a hill side with the 20 gauge gun, and severely damaged the stock at the join of breech work. I do need to have a new stock made for that particular 20 gauge gun. That 20 gauge Field Grade was made in 1926, and is not a pre 13 gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith Americas Best - Special Order 16 gauge 2 barrel set, with incredible French Walnut stocks and Kraus #1 gun engraving.

Original L.C. Smith 1926 Field Grade after Freddie Brunner repaired the broken stock, under the modern L.C. Smith 28 gauge made for Marlin by Zabala in Spain.
The original 1926 Hunter Arms L.C. Smith is a better made/engineered gun, lighter and better balanced and has the Brown Rotary Bolt, and selective Hunter One Trigger with BT fore-end.