16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Back in the woods again
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

We finally made it out for a hunt again ,this was our first hunt of the season due to covid .
One of our hunting partners had covid and has recovered well now but it kept us from meeting up for a while so it was good to meet up on a socially distanced hunt. Six of us turned up and we went off in twos . We had a good time even though I missed a straight shot at a Woodcock with my 20 ga Beretta , my team mate for the day missed one just after me but made up for it a wee bit later when I saw something move down below under the fir trees , I thought it was his dog then I saw his dog back a bit and a Woodcock just came out straight at me and took a sharp right out past my mate who nailed it with one shot . We put up I think six Woodcock and got shots at three . The other teams came back and one team had bagged a Woodcock and missed one and the other team had bagged a snipe and missed one Woodcock. My son bagged the Snipe with his 16ga Brun Latrige French double barrel box lock . Hes Shooting well with that wee gun. It was a good run out in woods and just great to be out again and I keep telling myself if I had been Shooting my 16 Jeffery I wouldn't have missed that Woodcock, but sure if you hit everything you shot at it would be boring . Thanks for listening guys hope your season is going well
All the best WJ.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Great report
and
Good you see you out and hunting

Well done !

Today was a range day for me, I shot the Krieghoff Drilling 8x57IR and a Remington 700 223 and a 1911 in 9mm, fun day as no one else was shooting.

32 degrees, cloudy and windy.

Mike

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,

Great to see you out hunting, sounds like you had a great time with your hunting partners. The old WJ is kind of like magic with you, no doubt you would have taken that Woodcock if you had the gun in your hands.

Grouse season here in Pa was fantastic this year, before Thanksgiving we had above 4 birds an hour contact, very few Woodcock this particular year. I was out in the UP when I should have been home. Early snow moved the Woodcock off the mountains here. The Grouse hunting was just fantastic however, and the new Gordon pup has been doing super Grouse pointing for us.

Grouse season is over now, Pheasant coming up!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

One of the Grouse Shadow our new Gordon pup set up for my gunning, took it with my recently acquired L.C. Smith 20 gauge 00 double gun. The 16 gauge Westley Richards Drop Lock is my buddy Gahlen's, wish it was mine!

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:53 am  Reply with quote

Skeetx that sounds like a lot of fun with a nice selection of guns , definitely a good way to pass a few hours .
Dave we had mainly young dogs with us that day the guy I was hunting with his Labrador had put up a few Woodcock before but never had the chance to retrieve one it didn't look at it at first but he set it out and then sent the dog off to get it and it picked the bird up no bother and retrieved it to him so we were happy to see that it's all a learning curve for a young dog . We also had a young GSP and a Clumber Spaniel on there first seasons and both dogs performed well for there owners . Must give a mention to the wee black Cocker we had along it's now our most experienced dog and always does well for its master .
Just thought you would like to hear about four legged friends Dave .
Good to hear from you two guys take care out there WJ.
IDcut
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:21 am  Reply with quote

WJ,

Good for you and your hunting partners to finally be able to get out and get some hunting in behind the dogs! It does wonders for a person to finally get out and do what one enjoys doing!

Between the bird and big game hunting, it was a great season for me! Early chukar, quail and huns in September, then on to pheasants locally and in South Dakota in October/November with some deer and elk hunting in between and afterwards!

I always enjoy reading about others folk's hunting expeditions and experiences from other areas of the country and particularly about those experiences from other countries.

Thanks for sharing!
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,
Really happy you got back out hunting and that your group had some luck. I got out for pheasant today with my 9 month old setter and the birds were running. He managed to pin one and I will take that from a pup.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice outing WJ. Any place with woodcock is a special place. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have an incredible array of fish and game in great abundance to challenge any sportsman...but no woodcock.

They won't be pen raised or transplanted. They come and go as they will, like woodland sprites. Strange delightful creatures. Always felt a twinge of sadness whenever I bagged one, such odd harmless little things. But wonderful to hunt.

Cheers
B
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Brewester11,

You bet they are incredible birds, legend has it God used all the left over parts from other game birds to create the Woodcock. I hunt them each and every year with our Grouse. Great wild training birds, they are more spooky now than when I was a young boy. I was lucky enough when I was youngster to shoot a true mixed Woodcock/Grouse double.

My Grandfather had been trying to accomplish this gunning feat for over 40 years and when I did it by accident behind his prize Ryman Setter dog while I was learning to shoot birds, he picked me off the ground and hugged me. I remember it happening like it was just yesterday, and I have now been hunting Grouse and Woodcock for over 50 years. I spend massive time in the Potter County woods each year with my Grouse dogs, and I have never been able to do it again.

Hunting Woodcock and Grouse at the same time is incredible, 2 of Gods beautiful wild birds together in our mountain woods. Neither can be planted, only God can give man or boy the chance to take both birds at the same time. Every time I see a Woodcock I remember my Grandfather introducing me to a way of life, I will be ever grateful for.

Woodcock the court jester of Game birds, 2nd only to King Grouse himself. Because of the difference in flight speed and agility, a bird hunter seldom shoots a true mixed double Woodcock & Grouse, let alone with a Parker 28 gauge double gun.

You are so right Woodcock are incredible game birds.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers