16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington model 11 safety
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

For whatever reason I've come to absolutely love JMB designs as of late. I always liked the 1911, and recently discovered the model 8 rifle. I've been shooting a descendent of his, a 16 gauge Remington 11-48 which I fell in love with. What a simple and rugged design his long recoil system is. The only thing I can't warm up to is the Remington cross bolt safety. I'm left handed, and bought the left handed button. It sure beats the tiny little right hand button the gun came with, but is still not a good instinctive design. I love the Mossberg safety, which is the best of the best, but I also really like the Garand design. I wasn't sure about an inline trigger guard safety, but after buying a Springfield M1A (M14), I've come to really like it. Not quite as much as the Mossberg thumb safety, but I have no problems with the Garand style at all.

I've seen both Remington model 11's and Browning Auto-5's with inline safeties, AKA suicide safeties. I have not seen a 16 gauge with one though. My question is, are the trigger groups interchangeable between the frames, or even brands? Could I put a 12 gauge model 11 trigger group with inline safety into a model 11 16 gauge? Could I put an Auto-5 trigger group into a model 11 or vice versa?
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

From my old 65mm A-5 16 gauge 3 Shot

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

That’s not a simple answer. The old safety like pictured uses a spring inside the receiver and it has 2 pins that has to be there for the carrier to work. The cross bolt safety has the spring in the trigger assembly. You can go from the old safety to the cross bolt pretty easily. Not so much the other way unless your receiver has the pins in it. Swapping some parts from the auto 5 to model 11 can be done( fitting may be required). Remington added their own twist on some things that browning did not have. And swapping from 12 to 20 or 16 isn’t gonna get much better. You would be better off buying different gun.
The early 16’s had that kind of safety.
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

So some of the 16's did make it from the factory with that safety. I'll have to keep my eye out for one.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll have to keep my eye out for one.

If you do find one I suggest you test it VERY thoroughly. The fore-and-aft sliding safety on the A5 can be dysfunctional in the field, as they tend to jam (usually in the SAFE position fortunately) as they wear. No amount of cleaning or lube can make them useful for field use once they start to wear and bind. As a result, you may have to use your thumb to apply enough force to slide it forward, which of course is a huge impediment in the field, as the thumb belongs around the top of the action when the bird flushes, not inside the trigger guard. It's an antiquated design. The only other firearm with that style of safety that comes to mind is the Garand M-1, but there may be others.

V/R
B.
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Were the Remington versions prone to the same failure as the Brownings? Based on what I've seen, the Browning is definitely a sliding mechanism, while the Remington looks more like a Garand style lever.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure how much you guys jack with the safety on your guns, but I have a 1909 that is smooth as butter, no failure of any kind. Little maintenance goes a long way.
Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:05 am  Reply with quote

Remington never went to that through the front of the trigger guard safety that FN used. Remington stayed with the lever infront of the trigger until they changed to the cross-bolt circa 1929.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Looks simpler than the slider. Push forward to fire?
B.
IDcut
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

My brother has one of the FN Brownings in 16 ga that has the "suicide" safety, he likes it and it seems to work well for him.