16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  The Superlight has landed II
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Well boys, I had the little gun out for a round or two of low gun skeet at my club yesterday. I'm here to tell you, its everything I'd hoped for and more.

It swings very crisply, and is quick to shoulder and target. The balance is flawless. I'd have to guess its the trimmed down butt stock, but it seems to handle a little better than a 26" Lightning--at least this one does. It comes up nice and flat without a hint of imbalance to muzzle or butt. (Perhaps I can relieve some of the wood from the bolt hole of my old long tang 26" Lightning to get the same feeling in it.)

After I got used to its lighter weight, I just broke bird after bird. I can't wait to try it in the field, so I'm off to Rhode Island next week to try for some late season birds.

Anyway, to the inquiries I've alrready gotten about perhaps selling it-- sorry guys, this one is a keeper. It took me 7 years to find this one. You will have to find your own. Very Happy
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

16gg, congratulations on finding a winner. It has always amazed me how two guns of the same model and gauge can feel different - - one better than the other.

Hc

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Actually HC, the superlight does not have a Bird's head, Prince of wales style grip, but a traditional straight wrist. Why it does on a one trigger gun I do not know. However, the trimmer stock is lighter and the straight wrist adjusts to gloves and heavier clothing a bit easier. This lighter stock configuration helps keep the 26" barrels well balanced. I like a 28" set on a Lightning. However, I know some wood can usually be removed from the relief routing inside of most Citori stocks without any problem or danger of severely weakening the wood. This little trick might help move the balance point a bit more forward on a 26" Lightning model. Anyway, thats the idea.

I also have a .410 and 28 ga Superlight I use as field guns--and a 12 ga that hasn't been out of the rack in probably 10 years except for its semi-annual wipedown. Shame. It's just not a 16. Perhaps I should sell it, but I still like the old gun. If I ever go west to hunt pheasant, I'll probably haul it along for 1-1/2 ounce loads of #4 shot if I need them. Probably won't though. My 16 ga 1-1/4 oz., #4 loads have had that covered pretty well this past decade.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

1 1/2 oz 12 gauge loads? 1 1/4 oz 16 gauge loads? Number 4 shot?

Hey, they are PHEASANTS, not swans, or, F16s. Standard pheasant load for me and my 16 gauge buddies here in the midwest is 1 oz of English 5 or 6s at 1100 FPS or so-the Eley line has one well covered in that range. I use the Gamebore VIP loads at 2 1/2" and 700 BAR without complaint. Even in the 37 Ultra. A side bonus is your vision won't be blurred after the shot.

The heaviest 12 gauge load I ever use is the Eley Super Game 2 1/2" number 6 shot. 32 gram is almost 1 1/8th oz. Hits like lightning out to any range this side of 45 yards or so. Any range longer than that is a shot I wouldn't likely take. On wild pheasants, anyway.

1 1/4 is a nice, light hunting load in a 10 GAUGE upland gun.

I suspect some guys would buy depleted uranium ammunition for birdhunting, if it were available. Wow.
Best,
Ted
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

1-1/4oz seems a bit stout for a 16; mine'll never see one, anyway. Would kinda ruin the 16's sweet disposition, IMHO. I'll stretch it to 1-1/8 on occasion, but don't feel I really need to.

The 12ga shooters I hunt with shoot 'em as a matter of course, however, and 5's mostly on pheasants. That's pretty much the standard west-Kansas pheasant set-up. I don't really see them as over-powering a 12 too much.

Why would any upland hunter pack a 10ga anyway? Wink

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

Boys back off 16 GG---He just wants to make sure the bird is dead Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes at 80 plus yards Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Shocked Here in the midwest we first shoot the bird THEN clean them-----It would save time doing both at once though Embarassed Embarassed I won't pick at you no more tonight 16GG but many shooters arrive here with too much gun and ruin what birds they do manage to connect with.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

I've never shot more than a 1oz load in any of my 16's. Not needed. Usually 1oz (sometimes 1-1/8oz) in the 12 too, although I hardly shoot the 12 anymore. I took my 20 gauge Gran Lightning out yesterday with 1 oz. 7-1/2 loads and killed every Pheasant dead, dead, dead. Granted, they were preserve birds, but hard fliers and not a gimme. Those 26" barrels were quick!
budrichard
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:48 am  Reply with quote

"Hey, they are PHEASANTS, not swans, or, F16s."

Laughing -Dick
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Hey folks, you shoot your birds with what you want, and I'll shoot my birds with what I want. I use a 1 ounce load of #6 shot for probably 60% to 70% of the birds I do take. As the season progresses and conditions deteriorate, I go to a 1-1/8 ounce load of #5 shot in the top barrel or as second fiddle in the model 37's magazine. In the very worst conditions, I load a 1-1/8 or even a 1-1/4 ounce load of #5 shot followed up with 1 1-1/4 ounce of #4.

These stout loads aren't often used, but in the cases wwere I do use them, those roosters fall dead in the air at longer ranges and under conditions where a 1 ounce load of # 6 shot just ain't enough pumpkin. Its nice to have that kind of confidence in the load to do the job when I pull the trigger.

As for my Citori 16 ga. and all steel model 37, I doubt a small handful of 1-1/4 ounce loads per season are ever going to ruin my guns. I don't shoot dainty doubles or aluminum pump guns that require me to stick my pinkies out like a sissy to shoot them. Cool I don't need a 5 pound gun to keep me from getting all sweaty and smelly so as not to offend the socialites either.
Laughing Besideds that, I rarely chip any teeth on any shot left in a bird dumped with #4 shot either. Those big pellets usually blow right on through so cleaning the birds is easier to boot.

And Ted, I think I mentioned before that if you keep getting buzzed by F-16's, you might want to find another place to hunt. Tramping around an Air Force gunnery range is not a wise thing to do... that is if there really are F-16's buzzing you ???? Rolling Eyes Question
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I'll second the observation that 4's pass through......
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:55 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:

Well, Fin, what it you tend to get buzzed by an F-16 like Ted. I understand he has a French 10 gauge double worth 35K that weighs 4 lb. 9 ounces and comes with a box of heat seeking shot loads. Amazing those French folks. Very Happy
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

I thought I would throw my two cents worth in. When I am hunting pheasant with a 12 I use an 1-1/4oz of #6s. This season I have only used a Sixteen for pheasant - 1-1/8 oz of 6s shot through cylinder and 28/1000th. I run out of skill before I run out of killing range with either load.

Thanks!

Mike

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
fin2feather wrote:

Well, Fin, what it you tend to get buzzed by an F-16 like Ted. I understand he has a French 10 gauge double worth 35K that weighs 4 lb. 9 ounces and comes with a box of heat seeking shot loads. Amazing those French folks. Very Happy

I suppose you could bring down an F-16 with a 10ga. They're hard to clean, though, and a little tough for the table.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing ...and it drives the dogs bonkers trying to bring one to hand Fin.

Mike, I'm not certain you ain't pulling our legs a bit. I here tell everything in Texas is bigger and tougher. Last I heard, there are prehistoric pteradactyl pheasant in West Texas, that you either kill with the first shot or they pick you up and feed you to their young. You sure #6 shot is enough pumpkin for them critters? Wink
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Nope - that is what I use!

Mike