16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Irish Setter sale at midway usa
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2654116701

Anybody have a relatively new pair?Thoughts? Must be some quality there as they say the soles are replaceable/sewn on?

fourtown
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have a pair on right now. They are a very comfortable boot. The leather is pliable and the soles aren't too stiff. They are great for most of my hunting in the flat lands of MN. When I get into steeper rocky terrain out west, I would like some thing with a stiffer sole.

My original soles lasted 2.5 years, but I wore them for work a lot because they are so comfortable. And I am big guy that is hard on boots. I am wearing them in my woodshop today. I had them resoled at Georges Shoes in Mpls. I think the replacement soles are lasting longer than the originals.

I wouldn't say they are really waterproof, if you keep them oiled to prevent cracks, they are not bad.

I would probably buy another pair when this one wears out, mostly because they are comfortable and come in wide widths. I wore Red Wings at work for 20 years, so am partial to the brand.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

Always enjoyed Irish Setters during my Midwest years but agree with fourtown they don’t work out here in PNW rocky ground. The undergrowth also shreds them. So I wear cheap heavyduty ballistic weave clunkers and throw throw them away after a season or so.

Curiously the boys prefer flimsy lightweight low cut running shoes for big game hunting even in the worst terrain. I don’t get it, but that’s what they do, they say it’s better for hunting, don’t care if their feet get wet.

B.