16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  need some loading help
skidoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

today I set up to load some federal 2 3/4 16 ga,1 oz field load, green dot 19.5 gr,fed 209 a primer, the data said use active g-28 but that's not made anymore ,so I was told to use a sg 16 but it is to short the shot would be above the wad ,can anyone tell me what would be the right wad ,what about a sp 16?I load a lot of 12 ga ,but this is first time for 16,i have hulls and green dot I want to use up so trying to get it to work ...
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Hello skidoo
Welcome to the site on your first posting

The old Remington R16 wad would do and These might just fill the need

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889267574

You reside anywhere near Amarillo, Texas??

Mike

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

skidoo,

You are right about the SG16 wads being a bit short and allow some bore scrub, but I think you will find that they work very well.

Just my 2 cents.

skidoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for replies, no I am from wi,,,is there any replacement hulls that are same as the active g-28 hull
skidoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for replies, no I am from wi,,,is there any replacement hulls that are same as the active g-28 hull,,
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

G-28 is the SG16. There is also an SG16S. You want the SG16 aka Gualandi BRG16/21.

Activ never made their own 16 gauge wads, at least not that I am aware of.

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Wisconsin?

I grew up in Whitewater, great place !!

df
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe I’m missing something, but lead shot scrubbing on a steel barrel does not concern me. I would use wads that have a deeper shot cup, if they were available, but if not, I don’t sweat it.
Will the barrel be damaged, I seriously doubt it. Will the shot have a small flat spot where it rubbed the barrel, I suppose.
I’ve used the wads you mention where the shot is not fully protected by being inside the wad. They worked just fine.
skidoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I just found a clay busters cb0100 16,wad they are blue and for a 1 oz load I may order a bag and try and see how the fit is .has anyone used these ?thanks for all the info,,
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

The Claybuster cb0100 16 wad is a clone of the Winchester WAA16 wad, which is the wad on the link above that Skeettx provided.

The Claybuster and Winchester wad above are longer overall than the SG16 wad, and the shot cup holds one oz. of lead shot. A unique feature is that the center "cushion" portion of the wad--unlike the SG16 (or the "post" and shotcup of a Federal load)--is "crushable." In other words, if the dropped shot height is too high, crimping pressure from the reloader will crush the wad down to the proper height for a good crimp.

The Winchester WAA16 was originally designed for the Win Compression Formed hulls and has a very small diameter when compared to other available wads (to match the taper on CF hulls). It is not a good wad to use with Cheddite-type hulls as they have thin tube walls and powder migrations may occur under some circumstances. A few remedies for this is discussed on another recent thread in this section of the site.

As for me, I wouldn't be concerned with shot scrubbing--until the advent of plastic wads in the 60s, all shotguns were subjected to shot scrubbing with available shotshells with little damage/problems other than they needed more frequent cleaning. The barrels on all my old 16s look just fine, even though they were shot a lot with pre-plastic wad loads without shotcups of any kind.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
DanLee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
G-28 is the SG16. There is also an SG16S. You want the SG16 aka Gualandi BRG16/21.

Activ never made their own 16 gauge wads, at least not that I am aware of.

The G-28 is the same as the SG16S.

Activ did make their own wads, but not in 16 gauge. They did make wads for the 12 and 20. I still have a bunch.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

What's the difference between the R 16 and the SP 16 wads? Are they a different colors,length ?
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:27 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/62208_600x400/] [/URL]

R16 left, SP16 right, as far as I know the R16 isn't available to us reloaders any longer but is loaded in the OEM 1oz RGL shell. I load bunches of the SP16 (designed for 1 1/8oz) in RGL hulls to 1oz with no extra fillers needed & crimps perfectly.

IMO unless you're looking for serious long range loads/shells the SG16 is a fine wad for Ched/Fed style hulls, read not Win CF or RGL's both w/smaller ID's than aforementioned, I load and shoot a bunch of them a year for skeet, 5 stand, SC's.

For comparison and FWIW; BP offers their "Trap Commander" wad for long range loads and I think someone on this forum confirmed his loads with that wad were better for long range work and as far as I know the cup doesn't encapsulate the shot completely.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:42 am  Reply with quote

DanLee,

I remember seeing both SG-16 & SG-16S as supposed G-28 wads but that was almost 25 years ago. Activ wasn't exactly the most consistent company especially towards the end. I no longer have any 16 gauge wads in Activ packaging to know for sure and if I have forgotten something or misspoke I am sorry.

However for the load the OP is asking about the SG16 (BRG12/21) is the correct wad for a better wad column height in the Federal hull.

If the lead pellets at the top of the column come in contact with the bore it is inconsequential, as the bore scrub is minimal and under acceleration (setback) much if not all of the shot column will be setback into the wad cup.

Lead pellets cannot hurt the bore of a steel barrel, nor will you see any lead in the bore using the Gualandi wads.

DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Yes, the SG16 works well in Federal hulls even if the shot column is not fully protected. I have some kits that Activ marketed consisting of 25 hulls and a like number of wads, plus a data booklet. Activ-made wads have very smooth plastic, with an almost sticky feel to them. The European wads are very dry and stiff by comparison. I'm not sure, but I think the Activ-made wads contributed to hull separation by locking into the rough interior of several-times fired hulls. It never seemed to happen unless I was using those wads.

It's unfortunate that Activ went out of business in the U.S. They still make ammunition down in Argentina for dove shooters, at least in 12 and 20 gauge.