16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester Steel Shotshells
justchris
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:18 am  Reply with quote

I was on Winchesters website this morning looking at the new products for 2021 and they are coming out with a 16ga. Super X # 6 steel shotshell.
(Scroll down to the second page.)

https://primedfor21.winchester.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2021-WIN-New-Products-Sheet.pdf
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Says for clay target and upland. Anyone using steel for clay targets? Not allowed on my clay fields.
justchris
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:52 am  Reply with quote

It's mandatory at some ranges now and I'm sure with pressure more will be going that way.
4setters
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Justchris,

Thanks for the heads up! Coupled with the new stock options for A-5 Sweet 16s that have shown up on Browning's website lately, that's good news for the gauge.
What next--a 3 inch A-5 Sweet with a camo plastic stock and 3 inch 16 gauge shells?

Twenty years ago, I started hunting wild quail on federal lands that required non-toxic shot, but there was no suitable sized steel shot (#6 or#7) available for 16 gauge shooters (only #2 and #4). So, when Lyman's 5th came out with steel 16 gauge recipes, I started reloading it in BPs 1680 wad in cheddite-type hulls, and have used it ever since, with no major complaints. . . . . Other than wondering why a major manufacturer didn't load suitable steel for small upland birds. . . . . .a complaint that I've seen on this site at times (the bismuth #6 loads that became available helped "offset" this issue, but cost more than steel).

So the Winchester offerings will be appreciated.

It is interesting to me that Winchester does not offer 16 gauge "waterfowl" steel shot in 16 gauge anymore, and hasn't for years, but has now made this offering. A little history here, Winchester was the first major shell manufacturer to come out with steel 16 gauge "waterfowl" loads around 1990, soon followed by Remington and Federal. Winchester dropped their 16 gauge offerings not too many years afterward, say around 1995, and to my knowledge have not offered 16 gauge steel loads since. Will they do that again for waterfowl loads? Or stick with the upland bird/clay games steel sizes?

The original steel 16 gauge offerings are an interesting lot. They were offered in size 2 and 4, and loaded in Compression Formed hulls. I shot a bunch of them hunting mallards in flooded timber, and retain about 3/4th of a flat from when I quit duck hunting around 2005. I use the hulls to reload a specific lead load that is easily identifiable. They are pictured below:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ksaYAn] [/url]WinCFsteel by Michael Widner, on Flickr

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Range I was at made steel mandatory. I have shotguns that aren’t rated for steel.
So I left.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:26 am  Reply with quote

You live close to AUSTIN?

What range please?

justchris
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

I live 10 min. from a range that requires steel shot. (Backs up to a wildlife area in the city.)
I choose to go to another range 45 - 60 min. away depending on traffic.
(It's a nicer one too.)
Emtymag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

It’s another loading which is always good. I’d love those in #3 shot.

MatthewWyatt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

4setters wrote:
Justchris,

Thanks for the heads up! Coupled with the new stock options for A-5 Sweet 16s that have shown up on Browning's website lately, that's good news for the gauge.
What next--a 3 inch A-5 Sweet with a camo plastic stock and 3 inch 16 gauge shells?

Twenty years ago, I started hunting wild quail on federal lands that required non-toxic shot, but there was no suitable sized steel shot (#6 or#7) available for 16 gauge shooters (only #2 and #4). So, when Lyman's 5th came out with steel 16 gauge recipes, I started reloading it in BPs 1680 wad in cheddite-type hulls, and have used it ever since, with no major complaints. . . . . Other than wondering why a major manufacturer didn't load suitable steel for small upland birds. . . . . .a complaint that I've seen on this site at times (the bismuth #6 loads that became available helped "offset" this issue, but cost more than steel).

So the Winchester offerings will be appreciated.

It is interesting to me that Winchester does not offer 16 gauge "waterfowl" steel shot in 16 gauge anymore, and hasn't for years, but has now made this offering. A little history here, Winchester was the first major shell manufacturer to come out with steel 16 gauge "waterfowl" loads around 1990, soon followed by Remington and Federal. Winchester dropped their 16 gauge offerings not too many years afterward, say around 1995, and to my knowledge have not offered 16 gauge steel loads since. Will they do that again for waterfowl loads? Or stick with the upland bird/clay games steel sizes?

The original steel 16 gauge offerings are an interesting lot. They were offered in size 2 and 4, and loaded in Compression Formed hulls. I shot a bunch of them hunting mallards in flooded timber, and retain about 3/4th of a flat from when I quit duck hunting around 2005. I use the hulls to reload a specific lead load that is easily identifiable. They are pictured below:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ksaYAn] [/url]WinCFsteel by Michael Widner, on Flickr

Those are a prize for a 16 gauge enthusiast. I hope to find a box one day.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,...
MatthewWyatt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Browning was bringing out a Steel shot load in 16 gauge but I haven’t found it anywhere.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,...
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Best of the West just outside Austin in Liberty Hill. I asked why because they are out in the middle of nowhere. I was told they were concerned animals were eating the lead. Rolling Eyes I asked they were also going to ban lead bullets. At one time they hosted quite a few of the 3 gun competitions. I’m not sure if they are still operating that range now with Covid.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
culot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:57 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Says for clay target and upland. Anyone using steel for clay targets? Not allowed on my clay fields.

I do, but im living in Scandinavia Sweden and lead is banned for clay target sports for many years ago ( but we can use lead for waterfowl in some areas)

For my 12g guns there is plenty of options i clay target steel , but for my 16g
auto 5:s include 3 sweet sixteen i for now only find one brand Gamebore a 16/67mm
26gram : 7 steel in 1350-1380fps i have shoot approx 4500-5000 of them in all my Auto 5:s and i have open the choke in them two of them 0,40mm ( LM )
one 0,50mm ( mod) and if i would found it in steel 6 it would be terrific for clays doves , crows and why not for smalll upland game? ofcourse i prefer lead but we have to get the green loons of our back, and actually it work pretty well. and BTW: that shell is loaded with Alliant STEEL.