16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  browning citori too heavy?
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

been shooting my 16 ga browning citori lightning at trap at a friends house and seem to not be able to get on the bird. So switched over my Ithaca 37 and no problems. I am 66 and am wondering if the heavy double barrel is too heavy for me, any ideas? the Ithaca also has a lighter trigger pull, can a citoris trigger be made to be lighter?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

K
I am of similar vintage as you and your concerns are familiar to me and my Citori. First, try raising your hold point another foot or two above your current hold. That’s all it took for me. And send the trigger to Skeets Gun Shop in OK, he is great for that.

Second, definitely keep using that M37, they are awesome, maybe the quintessential 16 ga. I am stalking one particular specimen myself and am itching to get my hands on it, as HQ has granted tentative approval for the acquisition and I need to act lest it be rescinded.

Cheers
B.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

I’ll second that on Skeets. His name is Dean Harris and he’s a great guy with tons of experience. He does excellent work at very reasonable prices.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

going to check out skeets monday, also I was thinking about changing my hold so I did not have to swing as much, going to try it. problem with the Ithaca is it from 1946 and a little fragile trying to hold up to the shot count with trap, already had to deal with peening a burr on the firing pin causing a slam fire.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

At 7 lbs. it isn't the weight that is the problem. If you are used to a lighter gun, like the M37 I would imagine that is the issue.

Bill K
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:29 am  Reply with quote

I just turned 70, and this will be my 56th hunting season.

I noticed guns seeming heavier as I got older over the past 10 to 15 years, looking at my cotemporaries that seems to be a common occurrence when getting older.

Not being one to readily accept the advancement of age, I realized decreased muscle tone to be a part of the problem and began doing arm exercises - 2lb & 5lb horizontal holds, 10lb vertical thrusts, 15lb curls, plus mounting and holding my shotguns to my shoulder for extended counts. Also, since I damaged my rotator cuff, I also do 20 or so 'half' push ups (on my knees) daily.

I also use an Orvis shotgun holster, it minimizes arm fatigue plus points your gun in a safe direction (straight up).

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
707PS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Turned 81 last June, was having the same problem with my Citori, switched to my
Model 12 16 ga Win. and there was a world of difference. Another gun I am having fun with is a 28 ga. Viper Tristar.
Bill K
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

To: 707PS -

Tell me about your Tri Star Viper in 28 GA ?, I’m thinking about one in .410.

Darne R10 1962
707PS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

I really like the viper 28 ga. I purchase the standard model with the walnut stock. I’m a bit smaller in stature, so I had to shorten the stock a 1/4”. I also took one of the extra shims, filed it down so it would give a bit more cast on, and a bit more drop. It turn out to be a great quail gun. It has been easy to clean and have not had any problems. The triggers are heavy and I replaced mine. Now it’s about 3 lbs. Also removed the glossy finish and replaced it with teak oil. You probably wouldn’t have to do all that, but I really like messing with them.
rjlance
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Since the topic is Browning Citoris I just had to comment. Let me first say that I currently own 5 of them. Down from 7 which I owned up until a couple of years ago. Obviously I am partial to the gun.

I will admit that they are not a light gun. However I prefer a shotgun with a little weight as they feel much smoother when swinging on crossing shots for pheasants or clay targets. Too light feels "whippy" in my hands. A whippy gun doesn't instill confidence in me. This is especially true if you a shooting a 410. My Citori 410 Skeet Model feels like a much bigger gun in your hands and most people who shoot it do much better with it than with lighter 410 shotguns. I always have to say ......."It's not for sale"
For the record I am closer to 72 than 71.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

If one has to have a gun weight problem, is it better to be slow onto a bird or clay, better to have the weight to remain on track thru the bird or clay or, is the dreaded weight better to be able to deal with any immediate or cumulative felt recoil?

I would say that speed getting onto a bird or clay is, by far, the least important.
I'm probably wrong.
Bill K
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with rjlance, particularly with his comment regarding his Citori .410 skeet - as I have shot his gun.

I owned a Stevens 555 O/U in.410 - I loved its weight, but it was way too whippy and I couldn’t hit with it. I shot Bob’s Citori .410 skeet - which has the heft of 20 GA, and instantly I could consistently hit clay pigeons.

As a matter of note I have vintage Savage ‘Four Teener’ inserts which work well in my 16 GA Citori Upland.

Normally I have a penchant for light weight guns - but, after shooting Bob’s Citori .410 skeet, I’m a believer and want one.

Darne R10 1962
707PS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Enjoy all your comments. My best clay target gun was a citori Xs 12 ga. with 30” barrels. I had a 28 ga Xs to match. One day a friend of mine with a 20 ga xs changed barrels. ( not recommended but we did it anyway) we both shot 2 rounds of clays and the guns preformed flawlessly. Is the 410 on the same frame as the 20 and the 28?
Wonder how the 16 compares? At my age I’m only good for about 21/2 to 3 hours, that said a lighter gun helps me get out and carry more comfortably. It’s alabout having fun.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Kennedy, which gun are you most accustomed to shooting? That determines a lot. Those two guns have completely different handling characteristics. I would be thinking along those lines more than trigger pull. I obsess over triggers on good rifles, but have never really even noticed on shotguns, nor has it had any real impact on my shooting with scatterguns, unlike with precision rifle work.

The other culprit could be gun fit. Those two guns likely fit you differently. If it is a fitment issue, that can be solved. I prefer lightweight guns, but for prolonged target shooting, a heavy gun sure makes things more comfortable.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

the

the Ithaca fits me like an extension of my body, started out shooting it at trap a few years ago, but due to its age it can`t hold up to that many rounds, then went to a marlin 90, but it was older and wore it out. so figured if I can get comfortable with the browning, it will out last me. soooo making some changes to the browning, first, found a IM choke that measures the same as the Ithaca, next going to adjust the comb down a little, and raising my hold point. I have been shooting the browning for 2 years now, but don`t have anywhere near the round count as the Ithaca.

i

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939