16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Beautiful American Classic with Krupp Barrels
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Old colonel2 wrote:
While the L. C. Can be a good gun. I have owned Parker’s, Foxes, and a high grade L.C. Guns and today I have none of the Parkers or L.C.s But still have a Fox.

My choice too .
ROMAC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have all of them too. I think Parkers and LC Smith's begin to shine in the smaller gauges, especially in the FW LC frames and smaller Parker Frames. Foxes on the other hand, at least the ones I have, feel perfectly balanced and are a joy to shoot in any gauge. I'll admit to being somewhat spoiled in that I own some very nice examples of all three makers.

Keep in mind that Foxes were made with 4 different barrel weights on the same frame with lengths available from 26 to 32 inches so a 3 or 4 weight set of barrels measuring 26 or 28 inches is going to be a lot more of an upland type of weight/balance than a 1 or 2 weight set which will be a lot heavier and more suitable for dove and ducks. I have a 16 gauge XE with 26 inch barrels that tips the scales at about 5lb. 14 ounces. It is pure grouse perfection.

In the end, they all can be great but I have to go with the Fox as my favorite.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

Romac, I concur with your evaluation.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

ROMAC,

Yours statement is why there is no one gauge of gun that fits all the different usages. Although my 16 gauge L.C. Smith covers just about all of them, they were not made for the old time Pigeon shoots. My #5 L.C. Smith 12 gauge gun was however. Further my 20 gauge L.C. Smith guns are fantastic Grouse, Woodcock and Quail guns, that are so well balanced, shooting and carrying these guns all day, up and down the mountains is no effort at all. The modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith is a Box Lock side plate gun, not a true L.C. Smith side Lock double gun, although similar to the Fox, Parker and Ithaca guns, it is in no way equal to the original L.C. Smith engineering.

Having owned many Fox, a few Parkers and some darn nice Ithaca guns sooner or later they were all traded to expand our family L.C. Smith gun collection. As I keep saying there is nothing wrong with the Fox, Parker or Ithaca guns, if you like Box Lock double guns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

There are some real nice Fox guns, I have owned a few 16's that I hated to give up.
The 16 gauge pictured below belongs to my buddy Ken Graft.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:29 pm; edited 3 times in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Well, if its sidelock guns you like--I much prefer Lefever small bores over LC Smiths, just feel better in my hands.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Well, if its sidelock guns you like--I much prefer Lefever small bores over LC Smiths, just feel better in my hands.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

3birddogs,

Most all LeFever guns are BoxLock, if you own an original side lock LeFever double gun please post some pictures of it, I would love to see it! They are very very nice guns in deed. Very few of them were actually made.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

True that Dave, the terms sideplate and sidelock often get used/confused incorrectly, my bad. Still, the 16 Lefever on the XX frame just feels better in my hands.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

3Birddogs,

No problem I have always liked them also, my Great grandfather had B Grade 16 gauge Lefever gun stolen from his home just after his death, that I would really like to recover. Having heard stories about this gun all of my life, spurred my interest in good LeFever double guns. The pictures of this B Grade LeFever gun are something special.
For him to have kept this LeFever B Grade gun along side his #5 L.C. Smith, the gun must have been something very very special to him.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Wow. That B Lefever 16 is stunning. I've seen Smiths that were equally beautiful, but I much prefer the simplicity in engineering of sideplated boxlock Lefevers. Putting a Smith back together is a nightmare, but I can put a Lefever back together in 3 minutes blindfolded.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:37 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

Yes the engineering of the two different double guns is very evident, the box lock guns are much much simpler to work on, no doubt about it. Uncle Dan made some great guns recovering my great Grandfather B grade 16 gauge gun would be something special. I have already recovered 4 of his good double guns, with help from other collectors and the internet. Would love to Grouse hunt with it, and place it once again in our family gun rack, beside my L.C. Smith #5 guns.

I continue to look every week, our Special Order #2 L.C. Smith gun, was recovered thanks to help from John Houchins and the Internet. I am still looking for a few other good guns that were stolen, at the same time.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Our Ithaca/LeFever Nitro Special on a 16 frame - 1926 up graded with fancy Walnut Wood and Silver Engraving. Probably the only gun ever made like it. One deadly bird gun, and a real conversation piece.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Notice the Grade 3 L.C. Smith 12 gauge with Krupp barrels has sold, real nice gun to own and hunt with for sure. If the gun was a 16 or a 20, it would be in my collection right now.

I had more than a few Fox guns, my favorites being the 16 gauge guns, however I traded them all, to acquire more L.C. Smith side lock double guns. Ken Graft has a Fox 16 gauge A Grade with up graded wood, that I would put in my collection however. One seriously beautiful Grouse gun.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Ken Graft's 16 gauge Fox gun. One serious Grouse gun.