16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shooting Times Low Pressure Article
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:13 am  Reply with quote

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/blackpowder-shotshell-loading/361504

16ga data:

https://content.osgnetworks.tv/shootingtimes/content/photos/Blackpowder-for-Shotshells-4.jpg

This was previously discussed back when the article was published, but to my knowledge the data had not been published on-line. If this is repetitious, forgive me.
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:48 am  Reply with quote

I get "page cannot be displayed" on both links

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Here is the second link

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

I have loaded and shot some of the 572 loads. Does it’s job but I like universal a little better. With universal hard to find at a reasonable price, 572 hasn’t caught on in some places, as far as price, but sure it won’t be long. Good for 20 also
R J Talley
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

I would be very careful in assembling Longshot loads for low pressure. I find in 2.5" plastic cases, crimped or rolled, a 20.6 grain charge with a BP wad and 1 oz. of shot goes and easy 1180 to 1240 fps over my chrony. Honestly, it is an awful loud report and in dim light, flares badly. I can't imagine using more than 23 grains.
Reece

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Interesting. I use 18 gr. of Lonshot in 2 1/2" cases and experience no issues. Of course, the data chart shown above appears to be for 2 3/4" cases.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 am  Reply with quote

The following maybe off topic, if it is disregard.

When you are having large EV's with velocity/pressure, the simplest item to change is the primer. Considering the pressures involved with these loads, that is the way to go.
When you are developing a load the primer is the very first thing you change when the velocities and pressures leave something to be desired, Period!

For Longshot and W572, both being ball powders, at the pressures stated solid ballistics might be a challenge.

Just remember every load is different. Change one component and you are back to square one, especially with these slow burning powders and especially because they are ball powders(typically harder to ignite).

Another item thing that happens that makes us scratch our heads is.....how many loads do you put over a chronograph? We send in 5 loads to Tom Armbrust and Precision Reloading and we think we are all set......maybe, maybe not. Sometimes five loads look great and we rub our hands together and think we have it......well shoot 5 more and you might not think so anymore.

When you are chronographing your own loads, it is best to shoot 10 loads. Heck it only takes a few minutes extra to load 5 more rounds and chronograph them. The only loads I wouldn't get too concerned about only testing 5 loads with are 12 gauge 1 & 1 1/8 oz. target loads, using typical powders, Red Dot, 700-X, Green Dot, Clays etc.

The point to the above, is with 10 rounds you can be certain you have it right. With any load the issue isn't about being 'safe', that is a forgone conclusion, it is about having a consistent load. Any data can be safe, but how much of it is actually consistent?

This is what I was taught by someone you all have at least heard of. SD 14 FPS or less. EV 35 FPS or less. It seems tight but it really isn't all that difficult to manage. Even heavy lead loads, buffered, steel bismuth etc. loads can hit that mark.