16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Teague choke tubes
stevesavage
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Anyone used Teague choke tubes? I have two doubles that a previous owner modified the chokes in that I am thinking of repairing with Teague chokes. Any info on how well they work, cost, shipping to Ireland and back, and other info will be appreciated.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I have several guns with the Teague style chokes without the notches for the wrench. I keep everything clean and the chokes lubed with anti-seize grease and have never had a problem installing or removing those chokes. The tapered steel tools can get cranky when the choke tubes wear a little smooth ring into them, but running a little coarse emory cloth up and down the the surface gives it back it's bite to remove the chokes.

Fortycaliberglock
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 am  Reply with quote

A while back, I purchased a Perazzi with Teague chokes. Upon inspection, I was very upset to see the gun clearly had fixed chokes. I called Robin Hollow and the gentleman laughed. They were indeed Teague thin wall chokes. Sure enough, he was right. I could believe my eyes when the chokes came out. That’s how well fit they were. Very high quality and worked great.
stevesavage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks. While I am waiting to hear from from Teague, anyone know about shipping to Ireland and how safe the shotguns would be in shipping?
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Teague is the equivalent of Briley here in the US. I have had Briley install thinwall chokes in 3 fixed choke guns. They should not need the whole gun just the barrel unless you want POI correction.

No idea about shipping from Ireland to England, etc. But when I ship my barrels to Briley I use a rectangular box and cut strips of hard foam insulation to pack it well. When they come back Briley uses an expanding foam to REALLY secure it in the box. Some use round hard plastic tubes to ship barrels in.

Teague "style" chokes don't have notches for a wrench and like Riflemeister I also have several guns without notches. Always worry about them getting stuck. Dickinson guns are the most common and SKB sells them, I talked to the gunsmith there and he said stuck choke tubes is his most common issue with the Dickinson guns. Last week I sent another barrel out for thinwalls a 16 ga. CZ Sharptail fixed choke that is way too open at .001 and .011. I went with Colonial Choke to install thinwalls this time because they are a lot cheaper than Briley and the gun isn't a high end gun by any stretch of the imagination. I also sent 6 Teague style 20 ga. tubes along with it to have notches cut in them.

Teague is unique compared to most American chokes. Teague has no parallel section in them they are tapered the full length. But Gold Medalist shoot them in the Olympics just fine LOL. In actually testing parallel section, tube length, etc. doesn't mean anything. It is just a bunch of marketing.

Before he passed away Neil Winston did some testing comparing Teague against Briley chokes. There is no measurable difference in the patterns between them.

You should be fine with Teague doing the work for you. I assume given your location it would be cheaper than Briley but it may be worth looking into them also.

https://www.briley.com/c-1082-choke-installation.aspx