16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading/ sizing striaght hulls? Heat them first?
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:38 am  Reply with quote

My hull of choice is rst. cheddite, remington, rio, federal. shoot all of them and never had a problem. Lately I have found some rio's that seem to be pretty damn good, on the 3rd reload and ok. If I get 3 reloads out of free hulls, then I'm happy. If you get one then bonus, that's one less you gotta buy. If you have to go through all this extra stuff, it's not worth it. There are to many hulls out there. Trip to local range has lots of choices. If my mec does not resize them, they go in the trash, that simple, then when I see the same hull for free I bypass. If one of my guns don't like a certain hull, then I feed it what it likes. If there is a problem with the gun, then I figure it out or it goes in the trash. Not gonna have a shotgun that is useless, which in very few cases its the gun. If its your reloading, then figure out what your doing wrong. The only hull that I won't waste my time on is fiocchi. I think they are junk from the get go. Yes there are people that like them and I'm sure with a little time I could like them, but why? So many other choices. When I have to put hulls in the sun or water to resize, its time to move on or correct what ever I'm doing wrong.
You have gotten some pretty good advise, from reloaders on here, no one is doing the things your doing.If it was a problem with the hull, then I doubt you would be the first to mention poo bag or pickle jar on the dash.
casebro
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
You have gotten some pretty good advise, from reloaders on here, no one is doing the things your doing.....

Bazillions here suffer from sticking hulls. Nobody is doing what I have done- I am the first to think of heating the cheap hulls to cure the sticking problem. Go ahead, prove me wrong about those facts.

Another fact is that we do not have any compression formed quality hulls available in 16ga. (Even you rank the Rem game loads below Cheds.) And I wish I lived near your gun club, where 16's are laying there for the picking up. I was thinking of buying a case of Rem Clay & Field. $18/bo, for the hulls. But not an option for now- or next year either I think. I'll pickle jar my Cheds and Fios until then.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

There are three one piece hulls made in the world that I know of. They are all 12 gauge hulls. Remington GC/STS/Nitro, Federal Gold Medal/Grand and the Federal w/.090" basewad. All most none have a brass metal head. Steel metal heads on Reifenhauser style hulls have been around since the 1970's.

casebro
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
There are three one piece hulls made in the world that I know of. They are all 12 gauge hulls. Remington GC/STS/Nitro, Federal Gold Medal/Grand and the Federal w/.090" basewad. All most none have a brass metal head. Steel metal heads on Reifenhauser style hulls have been around since the 1970's.

And people have been calling those Reifenhausers non-reloadable ever since. But we are stuck with them in 16, w/ steel heads,

Two probs w/ RHs: Mouths cracking due to cheap plastic, and sticking. Which I blame also on cheap plastic. Rem Gun Clubs in 12ga are definitely reloadable, even with the steel heads. Better plastic.

Rem Game Loads in 16 are 1 piece, but the mouths are sooo bad they crack on the virgin firing. Crap plastic.

Perhaps who ever is Rem Ammo nowadays will bring back 16ga reloadables. Someday.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

I will further complicate things (like this thread needs any of that) based on the comments about Rem 16's (RGL's) being junk. I cut all of mine down to 2 1/2" and so far have not experienced issues with case mouths/ cracking. Why? It may be due to the fact that I cut them and then use them. No skiving/ tapering/ chamfering of the case mouth as many folks do. Perhaps the increased wall thickness has something to do with it. None of these hulls are past their 3rd loading yet, but it will be interesting to see how long they last. So far, I like the way they load and crimp better than other hulls I cut down to 2 1/2". Wish I had another 500 of them.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

Casebro: that list of hulls was not in order. I see no problems with Remington gun clubs. I think they load quite nice. I wouldn’t put them below cheddite. I’m a hull whore, so I pick up from 410-12 gauge. I shoot all about the same amount. It does help that most of the people I shoot with don’t reload, so I get lots of hulls that way. If you do a little searching you can find hulls for sale. I have a couple guys that call when they have 500. I’ve built a friendship with them and often a box of 500 will show up on my door. I gotta look and find out who sent them, so I can send them money. I shoot a bunch of skeet and I’m a firm believer that if you load really hot shells, it’s harder on the plastic and there fore cuts down on the number of reloads. For skeet you don’t need more then 1200 fps.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

Casebro: what’s the height of the brass on the shells your doing?
3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:30 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar, I was going to cut down some RGL's to 2 1/2" and load some 7/8 oz loads using the old R16 wad. I load almost exclusively 2 1/2" shells now. The RGL plastic is certainly tougher than the cheddite hulls as found out when trying to cut open some old loads with bad crimps.
I also tried your trick of flaring the Claybuster 16 wads--seems to work very good, and wads that have been sitting there for over a week have not reverted back to old shape.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I bought some new RGL's about 2 years ago. The hull mouths have not cracked like some of the older ones I had. The newer RGL's are on the 3rd firing. Not wonderful but no cracks.

The only hulls I have had problems with the crimp folds cracking on the first firing lately are some Winchester hulls (Australian) that I was given. Some were cracked on the first firing, all were junk after I reloaded and shot them once.

I have a bunch of RIO's, high metal head, red that were factory loaded with 1 oz. of #7.5's @ 1300 FPS. I have a box or two left that I need to use up. These look like good hulls. I have loaded some other RIO's but it was one box and it was a one and done situation...I never got to look at them once I fired them. They loaded nice.

I have cut some hulls down to 2 1/2" to roll crimp....but I don't see that as a way I want to go. I like the looks of a roll crimp, but I don't like having to apply the roll crimp.....just too slow.

I also don't fall in love with hulls.....for me they are a means to an end. Once they start cracking out they go.

I really like Federals best, even though they only last 4 reloads or so. The current hulls that last the longest for me are Cheddites, which seem to be on most folks 's' list.

The absolute champs of longevity, are the Italian made Winchester hulls. They are on reload #7, fired 8 times. I am using them for 5 Stand right now. I never had Winchester CF's last that long.

YMMV

casebro
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:44 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Casebro: what’s the height of the brass on the shells your doing?

Any height. Low Cheds, high Fio and some old SuperX.

Sooo many times I've seen stuck Win POromos,especially in Rem 870 and 1100. People blame the steel. It's the plastic.

casebro
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:08 am  Reply with quote

No ammo avaialable now anyhow, but Ital Winnys? in 16? Sounds like better plastic.

I have been saving all the RGLs hulls that people give me. And I can pick open a couple boxes of virgin #5s. Cutting them to 2 1/2 sounds like an idea. I've got a couple thou Rem SP16 that work in 7/8 x 2 1/2. And my 366 Hornady is pretty easy to switch lengths. Next puttering for the agenda.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:21 am  Reply with quote

casebro,

Ever think we are just beating a dead horse.

You have your opinion. I have my opinion.

Let's agree to disagree

Have a nice weekend. Cool Cool

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Why did I just have a flashback to Pop (Burgess Meredith) asking "Do I have to separate you two again?" in Grumpy Old Men?

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Why did I just have a flashback to Pop (Burgess Meredith) asking "Do I have to separate you two again?" in Grumpy Old Men?

We got a lot of grumpy middle-aged men in the room. Prostates are making it so they can't even have whizzing contests, so they argue and beat dead horses.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

You guys have me laughing. Thanks!!