16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading/ sizing striaght hulls? Heat them first?
casebro
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 am  Reply with quote

I bet some of you have seen 12ga Rem Gun Clubs lose their heads on ejection. (Rem would send you a box of ammo if you complained) You could see a crimp mark on the plastic but they still came apart. Point is: The plastic shrunk back to small, but the steel did not so they fall apart. Resizing RGC is positive and easy since the plastic they use remembers it's original size.

Also, I mic'd and sized a couple GLs. They only mic'd .740, sizing would be optional. Better plastic than Cheds etc. But the Supersizer did get them down to .735 cold. Hmm, I'll try some heated- it might not make any difference with Rem plastic.

Oh, and why don't some of you start thread in General Discussion: "Casebro and MSM2019 are hard headed grumpy old men with bad prostates"? Leave this thread for discussion of variations in sizing between hull designs.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
casebro
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I've now fired the same hulls 3-4 times. They still resize properly to very small after only the one hot-sizing. Hmm, ... hot size once, cure sticking for the life of the hull?

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
case 1775
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I have one of those old Lee reloaders where you have to do everything by hand, and there is no resizer. I checked the the instructions, and they said to heat the hulls in the oven to resize them. But I think they were talking about paper hulls.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

I competed this weekend in a registered skeet event, using the old 16ga 2 1/2” A-5 in the 12 ga class, using Rio hull reloads. I haven’t seen the final scores, just hoping I wasn’t DFL. Function was flawless, no jams, FTEs, FTFs, or light strikes. How? I use a simple rule: If the shell doesn’t drop into the chamber all the way to the rim, it goes into the discard pocket. A few of my reloads flunked this rule and weren’t used. And it’s always the plastic that sticks, never the rim. If I were in a shootoff at the Grand National Championship Finals, I would probably use factory RSTs. Otherwise I’m staying with my reloads.
Cheers
B
casebro
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Little thinking on polyform hulls:

I think they assemble them by inserting the body sleeve into the metal head, then push an oversize base wad in to hold it all together.Base wad already has outward pressure. A pre-heat allows us to squash the base wad better, alleviating the excess pressure- for the life of the mouth?

Also, how do you people know which part sticks?

AND,my 366 has a final station that tapers the crimped end of the finished round.So no sticky mouth on loading.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

Casebro,

The separate plastic base wad is not oversize. It is the correct size to have a finished round at or very near SAAMI minimum cartridge, which is 0.735" for a 16 gauge.

I just resized some Cheddite hulls with either 5 or 6 reloads on them. They measure 0.747" fired which is 0.002" larger than minimum chamber which is 0.745". When resized they measure 0.737" to 0.737". I am measuring the metal head as close as possible to the radius on the rim, without actually being into the radius.

I also resized a Winchester CF hull. As fired the diameter was 0.747" and resized it was 0.738".

The loads fired in the Cheddites were 7/8 oz. 1,424 FPS @ 11,180 PSI and 1 oz. 1,232 @ 9,000 PSI. Both loads were used in these hulls.

The load fired in the Winchester CF was 1 oz 1,250 FPS @ 9,900 PSI.

What does your machine resize the metal head to without heating the plastic?

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Epilogue to my first Skeet tournament the other day: A-5 and Fio reloads performed flawlessly. I declared moral victory and headed home, just hoping I didn’t finish DFL (scores weren’t posted). Returned later in the week to chrono some loads. Staff said “Why did you leave early? You were in a shootoff!”
So it Goes
B.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Let me say this from experience over the past 50 years. Only two times have I ever seen hull stick in chambers. I've shot truck loads of resized ammo at trap, sheet, spclys, and backyard shooting over the past 50 years. 1st time years ago a problem came up with hulls sticking in chamber was due to a wore out sizing ring. And this was on all brass heads. Found out when the hull was resized that the ring created a slight buldge under the edge of the flat part of the rim. Small enough it could not be detected but could be measured. At that time I borrowed a friend's super-sized. I didn't change anything else. Super-sized took care of the problem. So I purchased one and still use it religiously. The second time I had the problem was within the last year. That was with steel hulls. After comparing dimensions with several factory loaded hulls I determined the steel hull were not shrinking after firing. So I adjusted the sizer down .002 and never had a problem.
Now I've shot with guys that have cramned in bulged, bent, split, screwed up crimps, slamming guns shut to force in chambers, overloaded hulls with so-called rainbow powder. Never one time have I seen one stick into a chamber. I've seen heades pop out of the chambers but only one time did I see the plastic hull part only stick. And the guy got it out by putting a new wad in the chamber and pushing through with a rod to pop out the hull.
So I'll say swelled hulls is not the problem.