16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Wards Western Field model 30-SB562A 16 ga
silverbowff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Picked up an oldie but clean and smooth shucking 16 ga 28” * bbl model 30. Heavy 7 lb 9 oz gun. Probably built in 1948. It appears to be original except for an ivory mounted bead. Interesting take down system, the Mag tube is rotated to move a retainer allowing the barrel and magazine assembly to move down and free from the receiver. J M Browning design is unique to this family of Savage/Stevens pump guns. I doubt if I’ll be packing this in the bird fields but it will spend some time on the trap range.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
fourtown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to be a caretaker of a #30 for a few years while the owner was travelling. I loved the straight grain walnut with cut checkering and the high quality bluing on these "working man's guns". That one a smooth operator too. Yea its stout, but you won't need a fancy tool to pound any dents out the barrel.

With bismuth now more affordable and available, I'm sure it would love to get back in a duck marsh or a barley field.
waggo71
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Great guns, you won't find that kind of machining these days. I've got a couple of the Western Fields and a Sears / JC Higgins, all are Stevens 520A that were made for them and rebranded for their retail customers. As noted they are not svelte and trim but they get the job done and you don't have to baby them.

silverbowff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

It is a well built and the only thing I am having an issue with is the long reach to the forearm wood. I am searching for a replacement beavertail type, like the one the 620A model.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16