16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ammo/components costs!!!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone really paying these insane prices????
df
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

Not me
BTW was in Scheels in Eden Prairie Mn today. They had lots af CCI small pistol primers at $4 per 100.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Yes and No. Depends on what you call insane anymore.

Wednesday have four 1 pound kegs of Clay Dot, four 1 pound kegs of Green Dot, and an eight pounder of 20/28 being delivered. From Brownells was able to get in while it was available. Total cost delivered is almost $500.

Have you priced shotshells lately?! Good luck with that. Still have ~14 flats of Herters 16 ga. and 4 flats of Federals the prices I paid on those look like a steal now. Not sure we will see decent prices on loaded shells for at least a year, or more.

Got a sleeve of 5K Cheddite primers from BPI and have another 5K on back order. Broke $200 for each with taxes, hazmat and shipping. For Cheddite for goodness sakes.

2 weekends ago cleaned out Scheels of lead shot here, West Coast Mag for $44.95 a bag. But with tax $49 almost broke $50 a bag. When most people use a reloading calculator they fail to add in all the fees. Same with a flat of shells. When a bag of shot gets to $20 I am going to quit shooting, well maybe not LOL.

Oh and got a flat tire on the way to get the shot. Picked up a nail. But I got the shot darn it!

Picked up a few bumpers for the puppy while I was there so it was worth it. At least he thinks so.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

No, totally out of control and sure looks like it continues to increase.

That said I'm not a high volume shooter/reloader and storage supply is good...at least for the near future.

If this craziness continues through 2021 I plan to adjust to shooting only 3/4 or 7/8oz payloads just to make sure my supply goes further. I guess years of shooting 3/4oz loads at clays has given me some comfort with a last ditch "conserve my shot supply" strategy by shooting that payload for upland game birds. Primers will be my greatest long term concern.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:17 am  Reply with quote

just in the last month , shot has gone from 37 to 39 to 41 for West Coast . i got the 4# of 800X for 73 , so the line isn't too bad here yet .... however , primers not due to end of april and powder has been coming 1# at a time !! Gas keeps going up , so things are gonna keep getting more expensive for sure ... been shooting those little loads for a long time , and that sure helps .

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:41 am  Reply with quote

16gadavis:
shot is and has been 49 a bag here in houston for a long time. sounds like you are getting over at 39-41. I was out last Sat. looking for powder and ran into one of the powder guys, he told me 18 months before anything changes.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

No not paying silly prices, because I have long stockpiled operational stocks.

This shortage will pass
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

This is simple.....I won't pay stupid prices and I remember which companies are charging unreasonable prices.

16'er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Sitting on my wallet for now. I can survive 2-3 preserve season of bird dog training between factory ammo and reloading supplies on hand. The current frenzy will pass..
nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

Winter trap league is just getting started, and I'm down to around 6 boxes of 12 gauge AA. I was able to pick up a couple of boxes of Federal Top Gun last weekend for $7 per box, my club has them for $7.50 per box, but word is we don't think we'll be able to get more when we run out. Only around 8 cases left.

I called my usual source for AA, usually go through 5-6 cases a year and at $80 for AA it never made sense to reload them.

I have more than enough reloading supplies to get me through the season. I picked up a MEC 9000GN today, because at the moment I have more money than time and the MEC 600's I have aren't fast enough.

I do have more than enough 16 gauge factory loads I don't need to worry about reloading full time yet, but I rarely shoot the 16 for league anyway.

I talked to a gun store owner that said his prices have gone up from the distributors, and he just passes it along. He said he only makes about $2 or less per box at best, his markup hasn't changed. Not everybody out there is gouging, many are just trying to keep the lights on and stay in business.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:16 am  Reply with quote

had a rifle job I had to pick up at the dealers yesterday . Got the rifle - the only powder was a couple 1#ers of Lil Gun and 410 and 8#er of 410 . The 8#er went while at the store , and I got one of the 410 jugs . While I was there , truck pulled in with 150 flats of Win 3dram trap loads . Didn't ask how much - too much recoil for my liking . guy said they'd be gone in 2 days once word got out ! (got another bag of shot as long i was there - still 41 bucks )

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:35 am  Reply with quote

The only thing I'd like to have more of is primers. 2000 Federal shotshell primers sold on GunBroker for $450.00. With shipping and Hazmat that's over $500.00. Shocked
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:48 am  Reply with quote

ohio: and that's the problem. To many dumbass buying things at that price. I get a little mark up but most of the prices that I have seen are 3x. like Mark stated I keep track of those places and they won't see any of my business.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:59 am  Reply with quote

So very true. Was in a local shop last week and bought 8lbs of Green Dot for $185.00 out the door. Their shot is still $39.00 a bag, but no primers. Sadly they don't know when either. Oh,and I dropped out of the bidding at $125.00 and even that was high IMO.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

I think someone should make a list of places that are doing this shit and post here and then we can see how long they stay in business. All my places(3) here in Houston have done slight mark ups, but I'm ok with that. They have to keep the lights on and I ask one of the shops Sat what they paid, owner had no problem showing me, he said he would go out of business before gouging fellow shooters. He is now my #1 place.