16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ammo/components costs!!!
RLR390
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody that wants to pay $450 + shipping for 2000 primers, please contact me. Have mostly Winchester but will part with some Remington for a little extra.
RLR390
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody that wants to pay $450 + shipping for 2000 primers, please contact me. Have mostly Winchester but will part with some Remington for a little extra.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

RLR390 wrote:

At that price I have enough primers in my stash to pay off my house!

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Sadly, the ammo and reloading supply crunch has the exact opposite effect of what the suppliers and their advisors keep trying to discourage: It rewards hoarding. In fact, it almost makes hoarding necessary if you keep a regular shooting schedule.

This is the second severe crunch in the last couple decades, and it’s not just the primers. It’s almost everything. There’s really no excuse, the consumer numbers have been there in plain sight for everyone to see for some time, and it’s not COVID either. How disappointing. We’ve learned our lesson this time, and we won’t get caught short again.

B.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Sadly, the ammo and reloading supply crunch has the exact opposite effect of what the suppliers and their advisors keep trying to discourage: It rewards hoarding. In fact, it almost makes hoarding necessary if you keep a regular shooting schedule.

This is the second severe crunch in the last couple decades, and it’s not just the primers. It’s almost everything. There’s really no excuse, the consumer numbers have been there in plain sight for everyone to see for some time, and it’s not COVID either. How disappointing. We’ve learned our lesson this time, and we won’t get caught short again.

B.

Two and three years ago, the stores and manufacturers could barely give the stuff away. That's when I bought. I feel guilty going into stores and not buying something. So I bought. At gun shows, sellers would throw in a couple decks of primers for maybe a buck or 2 a deck. So I bought. No one else was buying and distributors and LGS were going out of business. One of my LGS had days where they never opened the cash register, before they finally pulled the plug last spring.
So, now, I'll pick up some things but only at regular retail and only if I happen to come across it. I am NOT feeding the frenzy. And, as I said in another thread here, I am grateful to the Red Gods and respect their generosity. I am not selling, even though I could make some nice coin doing so.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:49 am  Reply with quote

Dave If that happens again I'll but more primers! Should have stocked up before this happened I have 2k left for shotgun well stocked for pistol and rifle. Just got two 8 pounders of Red dot for $185.00 per jug. With the rate I shoot and other options available on hand it might outlast me! Not going to pay scalpers prices.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Soggy Socks,

When the RST and Poly SpredR's 1st hit the market, I loaded up a mess of 12 gauge shells with the soft shooting components I had, and then sold my MEC reloader. I do believe I made the right choice, the cost to build those 12 gauge shells has skyrocketed. Today it would cost me 3 times as much to make the same high grade shells. Real glad I decided to load a bunch of shells when the cost was reasonable to due so. I loaded 7 1/2, 6's and 8's in bulk and still have as many as I need for my Classic American 12 gauge guns. It also helps that we are no longer shooting every week at Nemacolin, so no need for loading the shells as I did every week.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My Great Grandfathers 12 gauge L.C. Smith Pigeon Gun, I have no idea how many thousand of shells were shot thru this incredible 1901 gun, and it still performs like new. When used, cleaned and stored properly they were truly made to last for ever.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers