16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lyman Handbook
Purple16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Are the Lyman Shotshell handbooks useful references for 16ga loads? Which is best between 1st to 6th editions?

Maybe 3rd?

Thanks

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:20 am  Reply with quote

Tough call at this point in history with regards to the fate of Rem wads. I have both 4th & 5th and if focused on 16ga loads I'd say the data is a decent benchmark/reference at best for building pet loads with other wads. Re; a vast majority of their 16 (and 10 lead) data employs the Rem wads.

Shame since I'm normally a huge Lyman proponent of these manuals as somewhat of a bible for folks looking to get into this hobby, but, everything changes.

Tough call....

Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:54 am  Reply with quote

I have the 5th edition and it’s not bad.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:24 am  Reply with quote

There is no 6th edition,and sadly never will be.
stevesavage
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Even the older ones are good references and to me well worth keeping. Many of the components are outdated.
AKDan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

It would depend on what you want. All five have data for lead shot, buckshot, and slugs. #4 added data for steel shot. #5 has data for steel and bismuth. # 4 has more loads at lower velocity than # 5. #5 has data for7/8th ounce loads.

So many reloading components have vanished from the market that they all have listings with obsolete components and the older the edition the more prevalent that becomes. # 3 has data for both 57 and 209 size Remington hulls. Going back to #1 there is data for couple of hull brands that do not exist any more. If that is what you are interested in it is not hard to pick up old manuals on line.
Purple16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

Good info. Thanks. Sounds like I really might need them since so out dated. I just hear people refering to them sometimes so Thought I'd check.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."