16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT: For the price of a Benelli: William Cashmore 12 ga.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Wyochukar,

In my 20 and 28 gauge L.C. Smith guns the SpredR's actually shoot pretty tight patterns, most shots are around 28 yards and some out to about 38 yards. The shells pattern more like the old Nitro AA's than SpredR's in my guns, especially the M/F pre 13, 20 gauge gun. For some reason the modern Zabala made 28 L.C. has always shot real tight patterns also, so maybe not quite 40 yards but close to it, say between 35 - 38 yards. When the birds get real spooky after breaking the main covey, I actually go to the L.C. Smith 16 gauge with the RST 1 Oz SpredR's. Initially we use to get some close up shooting from the birds holding tight, hunting pressure seems to have change that however, and the bird count is lower now also, so the birds seem to be a lot more spooky, almost like Grouse.

Unfortunately with the death of my buddy Don Moody I will probably never get back to AZ to hunt Mearns Quail or TX to hunt wild Bob White Quail ever again. The memories of Dons TX Quail lease, and hunting with our identical 1913 L.C. Smith 16 gauge Hammer Guns, will need to last me, for the rest of my life. His 15 to 18 wild Quail Coveys a day, was like heaven on earth.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers