16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Preserve Pheasants
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Took the dogs out yesterday for pheasants at a preserve in Vermont. My son brought my 4 year old grandson(busy) for an afternoon hunt. It was windy and blustery but a fun afternoon. The dogs were a little wild after a winter of being cooped up and bumped a couple birds. We ended up shooting 5 roosters, no misses couple warning shots.
On a side note they are doing driven hunts now, I have no interest in that but walking by one of the stations there were quite a bunch of purple RST shells on the ground. We were not done hunting so no scavenging.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

soggy socks,

Warning shots, please explain! Sounds like you had a nice outing, good to get the dogs out and let them point some Pheasants. I started hunting with my Grandfather behind his incredible Ryman female dog when I was 5 years old in the Potter County, Pa mountains in the early 50's. I was big for my age and have never forgotten what I was taught, maybe next year you can take your grandson out again, it's never to early to let the youngsters experience a bird hunt, especially if you have good gun dogs along to keep their interest high.

You are a lucky man to have a son and a grandson to share your life with, never take it for granted.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:06 am  Reply with quote

My 4 year old grandson that I nicknamed Dennis the Menace after he flooded our dryer vent with the garden hose last spring had a great fall with his dad. He was with him when he shot a fall turkey and again when he shot his buck in November. My kids were with me on a lot of similar hunts and still are, very grateful for that and that my son is doing he same with his. At this point he is very interested in hunting and fishing and I am doing all I can to encourage it. Very lucky man indeed!

The warning shots were first shot misses Dave one I tried not to center the close bird and missed second shot got it! The dogs had a lot of fun too which was kinda the major point in going we just tag along!
tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Soggy socks wrote:
...The warning shots were first shot misses Dave one I tried not to center the close bird and missed second shot got it!...

When Phil Harris was hunting with Bing Crosby and missed a first shot his comment to Bing's mention of "hearing his shotgun pop" was..."the first shot was just to let the dog know where the bird was".

"Tip & Drip" to past days.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:06 am  Reply with quote

tramroad28,

Man those were the days, great American Sportsman shows with Phil and Bing bird hunting, I missed the humor in soggy socks post, for some reason I was not looking for it from him. I wish they would put the shows with Bing and Phil back on, I would tape every one of them, the ones I really like are not available, have been trying to purchase them for many years.

Its hard for me to understand that young sportsman today will not even know who Bing and Phil really were, a sad commentary on life for sure, that we have lost a great deal of the American Sportsman to computers and I-phones.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

BWW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Phil and Bing used to hunt in Weiser, Idaho. My father in law was an officer at the Elks Club and used to host the crew while they were there for several days. In the evenings, Phil would snuggle up with a bottle brown liquid in a 1/5 bottle and play the piano and Bing would break into song!
I think there were some pretty wild nights for Weiser Elks!

My favorite line that I remember as a youngster was Gowdy saying as one episode was closing "he may be a performer in the spotlight but still likes to slip into something comfortable, it is called the great outdoors"

Love it!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

BWW,
Because of the way I grew up the American Sportsman was one of the only shows I truly enjoyed, today there are few if any shows on national TV that I believe are worth watching. Our young sportsman have no idea what has been stolen from them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

BWW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek / Dave

Agreed. The Outdoor Channel show just don't have the "right stuff".

I still watch them
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

I hear you there. I don't have broadcast or internet TV service, just a DVD player and what's left of a VCR. I don't think I have to tell you why. It's been 10 years since I "cut the cord" and I never regret it.

I see Outdoor Channel type stuff sometimes when I visit friends and they are watching the shows when I arrive. The problem with most of it? Beyond the fact that it so heavily oriented to deer and turkey at the expense of needed variety, is the fact that there is too much "buy this and you'll be a superstar", too many outfitter hunts, and too much B.S. filler material tailored to string the audience along. Disappointing.

Meanwhile, my VHS copies of Upland Gamebird Bonanza and Wild Ringneck Bonanza are just about worn out. I used to watch them for excitement, now it's more to reminisce about my beginings. I have been watching them since 1990. I need to contact Tom Miranda and see if he will burn me a disc copy. He does still have the original copy.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:11 am  Reply with quote

How bout Joe Foss and Robert Stack I remember them too. Remington even had a show on the local channel when I grew up used to watch it every week.
nwmac
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I don't get it. You guys would rather watch re-runs of awesome hunting and fishing rather than the music awards with scantily clothed young women dancing around like the practitioners of the oldest profession? Rolling Eyes
BWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 am  Reply with quote

mwmac,
Funny, but, these scantily clad girls are not what made me, me.

Bob
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

There are many different forms of entertainment, when they start with the agenda driven garbage, I automatically change the channel. Finding anything today with a positive bird hunting story is very difficult. Needless to say I due a lot of reading, GBE, Burt Spiller, are at the top of the list. I am currently enjoying Chris Batha's Instinctive shooting book. One of my big pet peeves is not being able to choose my own TV Channels, I hate paying for something I never use, just to get the few shows that I actually like. Having lived for a while in states where you could choose your own cable channels, I really liked watching my chosen outdoor sports channels, NCIS (Gibbs) and anything else I wanted to choose. Moving back to Pa where the cable companies play the expensive bundle package game, to support their liberal buddies businesses, that nobody actually wants to watch, was definitely a shocker.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dennis Walrod has a good Grouse book!

tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Two questions, to me, are required with hunting shows today...what sells to the Public and what pays the bills.
Which means that a viewer receives a healthy dose of imagined equations for success which all require extensive product to be purchased...rather than receiving any of the deeper reasons for being there, independent of success.
All the shows follow the same track...some do add kids or a young, pretty expert and a few may even lay a respectful paw on a harvested shoulder, while nearly sobbing with thanks.

It is difficult to say, "success ain't important", for that potential naturally enters our mind as we exit a vehicle.
But, what often separated Bing/Phil shows, for example, was not steps for success or hankies at a tailgate, as much as two friends simply taking steps together, yet again.
That show succeeded, I believe, for the production values and for the lack of competition in the market, it was prime time of a sort.
Different than hunting shows of today which compete for viewers and for ad dollars.

Truthfully, I suspect it is difficult to film bird hunting shows off of Preserves or with birds in early successional. Probably also difficult to find bird hunters who do not back bird dogs like limestone blocks or hosts who do not like to wear snazzy hats and chatter...endlessly.

It is good to have AS to remember, or some of it as later shows got a bit wonky. However, nothing like it will be again and the main reason lies not in the tv shows but in the change in hunters and in hunting, first. Competition, success(or fear of failure) and "look at me" killing hog-type stuff has replaced two fellas, or one, taking steps afield...behind a bird dog's tail or not.

As to books, how-to also sells there....odds on, just read the covers or the reviews.
BWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
Two questions, to me, are required with hunting shows today...what sells to the Public and what pays the bills.
Which means that a viewer receives a healthy dose of imagined equations for success which all require extensive product to be purchased...rather than receiving any of the deeper reasons for being there, independent of success.
All the shows follow the same track...some do add kids or a young, pretty expert and a few may even lay a respectful paw on a harvested shoulder, while nearly sobbing with thanks.

It is difficult to say, "success ain't important", for that potential naturally enters our mind as we exit a vehicle.
But, what often separated Bing/Phil shows, for example, was not steps for success or hankies at a tailgate, as much as two friends simply taking steps together, yet again.
That show succeeded, I believe, for the production values and for the lack of competition in the market, it was prime time of a sort.
Different than hunting shows of today which compete for viewers and for ad dollars.

Truthfully, I suspect it is difficult to film bird hunting shows off of Preserves or with birds in early successional. Probably also difficult to find bird hunters who do not back bird dogs like limestone blocks or hosts who do not like to wear snazzy hats and chatter...endlessly.

It is good to have AS to remember, or some of it as later shows got a bit wonky. However, nothing like it will be again and the main reason lies not in the tv shows but in the change in hunters and in hunting, first. Competition, success(or fear of failure) and "look at me" killing hog-type stuff has replaced two fellas, or one, taking steps afield...behind a bird dog's tail or not.

As to books, how-to also sells there....odds on, just read the covers or the reviews.

I think you got it mostly right! The shows today are usually filmed by the hosts and sold to the network. It helps if they have big name sponsors.
The host has to foot the Bill for the cost of filming and producing in hopes they can sell it to the Outdoor Channel. I am blown away, as earlier mention at the number of deer, elk, wild pig, bear and everything else. The self defense shows are getting a little over the top also. And to continue bitching, how come we all have to look like Seal team 6 when we go out?
Give me my 16 ga side by side, my lab, bush pants and blaze orange hat and vest.
I admit, I love a good elk steak or some back straps as much as the next guy, but, let's go hunting!

Bob