16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 1/4 oz. buffered lead
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I began experimenting 20 years ago with using gas seals, felt wads, mylar wrap, buffer and Steel powder for lead, steel & bismuth loads. The reason I started down the road was that we didn't (we do now) have a wad that would work with steel shot and we didn't have a 1 1/8 oz./ 1 1/4 oz. wad that sealed well and didn't allow migration in anything but Winchester CF and Remington RGL hulls.

The buffered Bismutb load that I have works really well and I had used it for ducks, until this year when I started using it for upland hunting. This load is published in the manual, Blanks to Supersonics.

I don't have a 16 ga. shotgun that I want to use steel shot in, so the load I developed sits and I have never used it to hunt with. It was never published because I wasn't comfortable with the fact that steel shot larger than #2 and would rub through the mylar.

Today, I finally got around to building an 1 1/4 oz. buffered lead load for turkey hunting.

I based it off the Bismuth load which I have good test data for. I backed off the powder 2 grains dropped the buffer 2 grains and a couple other small changes to get the wad column height correct and built 11 loads to be tested. I should be able to get them out next week sometime.

I loaded up an extra round and patterned the round using 5's. Very mediocre 40 yard pattern at 62%. So I tried 6's from a brand new bag of West Coast .......the load went 82% @ 40 yards.

I have no idea what the velocity is and I certainly don't know the other specifics of the load but it shows promise. BTW the choke I used was a full with .032" of constriction. It is a Briley Thin Wall choke system.

I am hoping I can get a velocity of 1150 FPS or so. I just need some solid P & V figures to know what I have.

If the load is good I will post the results. I also have a 7/8 oz. load using 700-X to be tested also.

Bill K
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:04 am  Reply with quote

A man after my own heart, thank you for your due diligence.

I wish you lived nearby as I have a chronograph.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
Bill K
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Please post all of your 16 GA loads as mentioned.

If this ammunition and reloading components shortage keeps up - I'll be down to homemade black powder, with toilet paper for wading, and finely graded pebbles for ejecta, and will need all the help I can find.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Bill K,

I have a chrono and the place to be able to use it. I just want data from a lab before I share the loads.