16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Westley Richards - Hand-Detachable-Lock gun
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Back in 1897 Leslie Taylor and John Deeley Invented the hand-detachable-lock gun for the Westley Richards company. Here in the USA we call this engineering Drop Lock. Like the L.C. Smith Side Lock Engineering it has only 4 or 5 engineering parts and is incredibly strong, however this Westley Richards patented hand-detachable-locks are not attached to the side lock portion of the gun in any manner. The detachable - Locks are engineered to be inserted thru the cover plate in the bottom of the breech. A year later they engineered a hinged action on the cover plate, so the full detachable locks could be removed from the breech work, for cleaning, repairs or replacement in the field. One of the finest pieces of Best gun engineering in the world, Leslie Taylor and John Deeley were generations ahead of any other gun designers with this engineering patent. All the different gauges are now built to scale by Westley Richards, I have inspected this engineering on my good friend Galen W's 16 gauge Westley Richard Drop Lock double double gun, the highly polished damascened engineering is just incredible. This same engineering is used on certain Westley Richards Rifles also.

Read the fine article on this hand-detachable-lock Westley Richards gun in the 2021 Jan-Feb Shooting Sportsman magazine beginning on page 58. An article well worth reading by Vic Venters. The pictures in the article are definitely worth seeing. If you ever get to inspect the engineering 1st hand you will be more than impressed.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Westley Richards 16 gauge Drop Lock under the Grouse, L.C. Smith 20 gauge 00 over top.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have read about these, in the article you mention and in old issues of Double Gun Journal. Personally I find the "drop lock" to be the epitome of fine engineering and a huge asset to anyone who goes afield in wet conditions. The easy ability to access the internals after a day in the rain is a huge plus for proper maintenance. It was the one great advantage my Rem 870 and 1100 had over any double gun I have owned. Turn a cap, pop two pins and I was in. I hope to someday be in a position to own a Westley Richards (a 16 or maybe a 2Cool.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:07 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Garhart I hope to own a 16 gauge Westley Richards Drop lock gun myself some day, I agree the engineering is just at the very top of the Best gun design. Would love to own a hand-detachable-Lock 28 gauge gun for my Grouse hunting also. Built on the correct scale frame, these Westley Richard guns are just fantastic.

We better both save our money however, they are not inexpensive guns!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

While L.C. Smith was designing it's incredibly strong 5 piece Side Lock Engineering, Westley Richards went one step further and designed their 5 piece Drop Lock engineering.
It is just incredible that this engineering was designed back in 1897.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

Westley Richards had a larger impact on double guns with its 1875 invention of the Anson & Deeley Boxlock. William Anson was foreman of the action department and John Deeley was the managing director. Gil
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Start saving our money? That's no lie! But...I keep finding other distracting "shinies", you know, like a crow.

postoak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

I lucked into a Belgian ARMAF detachable lock a few years back, similar but slightly different than a Wesley Richards.
tom kilgore
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by tom kilgore on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total
tom kilgore
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:04 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by tom kilgore on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
tom kilgore
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:07 am  Reply with quote

All, I wanted to pass along a link for a book I have purchased. I have not received it yet but it will arrive shortly. I have purchased several books on Texas history from the company and have been pleased. This book is especially dear to me as it is about the area that my ancestors were from dating back to the 1700's. The boy mentioned is Forrest McNair and his first gun was a Westley Richard double and is the main character in the book. Here is the link for the Copano Press.

https://copanobaypress-gallery.com/

Thanks, Tom