16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Random musings: 3rd shot
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

A common refrain I hear from folks who resist owning a two barrel gun is they don't want to be without that 3rd shot. I understand. My first shotgun was a full choke Remington 1100 12 ga. When a big covey rose it was possible to get three off before birds got beyond range, even more so with birds that often cough up stragglers.

However, my desire to shoot double barrel guns took root very early in my life's journey into the realm of game birds. In a few short years, I bought a Savage 311 for my first double and had a lot of fun with it. Yes, the agony of stragglers popping up while I clumsily fumbled to refill empty chambers struck often and I wished for the third shot. I continued to use the 1100 too but for some reason, I used it less. Of course as a young fellow with a reloader, I hated losing precious hulls. Still, there was more to it and over time I phased the 1100 out, eventually trading it for a Christmas present for Dad. Since then I still use a Win 97 occasionally but mostly stick with my doubles.

I will readily admit to wanting a Rem 870 Special Field to this day, just because I have a soft spot for them. I'm surprised I never purchased one. Lately I have thought about 2 vs. 3 (or more!). There are good arguments for 2 or 3 shots, although I find the ability to use more than 3 just burns a hole in the wallet.

Case in point on that last thought. A friend used to live in New Mexico where we would hunt scaled quail together. He would take his 870 express and put 5 in it since that is legal for upland birds there. He felt obligated to send them all downrange too. Every night he would sit down behind the Mec 650 and complain about his shooting performance/ ammo bill, which tickled me immensely. After a few days of this I responded to his forlorn regrets with "Put the plug back in the gun. The first two shots are golden, the third keeps their wings churning, the forth warns them not to slow down any time soon, and the fifth says "don't you ever come back here!"". The plug went back in and his ammo bill went way down even though he shot the same number of birds. Now he usually shoots an SKB SxS that I fancied up for him.

I recently thought of this again while listening to a podcast where the interviewee stated he always loads five for chukar (legal where he lives) stating that he needs all he can get since chukars are so hard to hit and bird contacts few and far between. He complained about ammo shortages later in the show. I chuckled and thought about my buddy and those quail years ago.

Anyway, over the years I have pondered the two shot thing and just why I am okay with it. Do I need the third shot? Yeah, sometimes I do. It can also prove handy in certain situations, especially in dispatching a cripple before it hits ground to run off. Having a good dog largely negates this though. I eventually figured out why I like having only two to burn and it's not for reasons I usually hear.

The absolute truth? I just don't want to go back to the truck sooner. I like being out there. Especially when the weather is nice. There is too much going on in the hunt to desire a quick limit. That's also why I choose to hunt a variety of locations that aren't always the "best" spots. I don't feel in anyway superior choosing only two. I enjoy the flush, a lot. The more flushes in a hunt the better. One of these days I will probably find a truly nice single shot and use it from time to time. Too bad most of the nice ones only come in 12 ga.

Do I still wish for a third shot sometimes? Sure, but I never regret not having it. We all have our own self limiting "rules" or desires, even more so as experience grows. I only used my damascus Parker for geese the final two weeks of this past season, but boy did it put a smile on my face. Will it do what my modern 3 1/2" 10 ga. O/U do? No. I am patient with such things, the reward is often greater when you have to wait more for the right shot. I also use a 16 for geese quite often, much for the same reasons. Same applies to "settling" for only two shots. I suppose it's not "settling" when you're happy staying longer and getting it done two at a time makes me happy. The couch can wait.

[[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/53059_1024x683/] [/URL]][/img]

Last edited by WyoChukar on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have a variety of shotguns- semi autos, pumps, side x sides, over and unders, and single shots. I use all for hunting. On a rabbit hunt a single shot seems to be called for. Quail gives me the opportunity to spend some time with the side x sides or the over and unders. A dove shoot means semi autos( uasally a sweet sixteen) and three shots. I like shooting all my guns and l prefer to use them hunting. I don't judge other hunters choices as to which guns they use hunting thier game of choice. I hear alot about ethics and traditions. Thats nice. Maybe for some its more about economics and doing what is legal. In my opinion it is most important that people hunt and enjoy outdoor life. Use the gun you have available and follow your states game laws.
My next hunt will be doves in the fall. Rest assured there will be 3-shots on board.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:51 am  Reply with quote

12 yrs ago when I 1st went to So Dak , the bird limit was 5 . Took a short chambered M12 and the 1st time we got into birds , my 2nd shot was a 23/4'' that got REALLY stuck shucking . Had 2 birds down and 10 more that flew right over my head !! When i got home , that's when the M48 was had - now worries about shell length !! Since then , limits have dropped and the Davis is usually the go to gun . Not enough birds to warrant the extra shot nowadays ! (different story back then !)

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:01 am  Reply with quote

+1 WyoChukar. Well put.
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Nice thoughts Wyo.

Two pipes are easy to quickly reload for follow-up shots (if needed). After watching top Cowboy Action Shooters in person & in a few YouTube videos years ago, the need of a 3rd round "in the gun" disappeared from my thoughts...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:04 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by MSM2019 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

All my Semi-Auto guns are long gone, I did shoot a lot of Lancaster County, Pa Pheasants and some Ducks with them, when I was much younger. The only Ducks I shoot now are Woodies and I jump shoot them while Grouse and Woodcock hunting along Pine Creek.

From about age 20 on, the Semi-Auto guns mostly sat in the gun cabinets. I was raised that you only need 2 shots, especially while Grouse and Woodcock hunting. All the guns handed down to me only take 2 shells. Gave the old 16 gauge Rem model 58 which I purchased, to my best friend for Christmas a couple years back, he still shoots Ducks every once in a while.

In our family it was viewed unethical to carry a gun in the Grouse woods that held more than 2 shells, nobody violated the tradition, allowable for Ducks and Pheasants however, heck until my brother came along, even the Stack Barrel guns were looked down on. Traditionally we use SXS double guns to bird hunt with, lots of Hammer and Hammerless SXS double guns, most over 100 years old. Classic American & Best German along with Spanish & Brit guns, were the order of the day, until my younger brother decided he preferred good Browning O/U guns.

My brothers son however looks to be a throw back, he prefers SXS 16 gauge double guns, for doing his bird hunting, especially Grouse and Woodcock. I made sure he got a few of them for Christmas thru the years. I knew men when I was a boy who would not go into the woods with another man who carried a Semi-Auto or pump gun, because they could be loaded with more than 2 shells. I am not quite this strict, each man should be able to hunt with the gun he most likes.

I do tease the men with the Semi-Auto, Pump guns & O/U's however, especially around our log cabin before we go out Grouse & Woodcock hunting. All in good fun. We never tease a man or boy who can only afford an entry level gun, every sportsman starts out with a gun he can afford at the time, unless their father or grandfather, gifts them a high grade gun, to start out with. Having been taught as a young boy to Grouse & Woodcock hunt with my Great Grandmothers Parker DHE 28 gauge double gun, started me down the SXS gun path. Her gun fit me perfectly as a young boy, and I was deadly with it.

We never really thought about how long we were in the Grouse woods, we were raised in the Potter County, Pa forest, and went out as much as possible, both hunting and Fly fishing. While other little boys were with their mothers at home, my Grandfather was teaching me to Grouse & Woodcock hunt & Fly fish for trout, I was a very very lucky child, I loved the Grouse birds and my Grandfathers Ryman Setter dog, as if they were my very own. I learned to tie Flies and Fly Fish very young. My Grandmother and my mother believed I was allowed to carry a gun & a knife way too early, and voiced their opinions. I was lucky and their words fell on the deaf ears, of an old time back woodsman.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Enjoyed the post.I guess the reason I like doubles just cause they look good.The only time I wish I had more than 2 shells is when your sitting on a milk crate in milo field and a big flock of doves are coming straight at you.
Rick O
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

...I bought a Briley Equipped 16ga Model 21 in 2012 or so and went Double Or Nothing that whole season and really liked it. But, for Duck.I missed that third shot, if for no other reason than to quickly pop a cripple.

Now, I use and enjoy the double for Dove, Quail as well as the occasional time I shoot targets,and for Waterfowl when in an area where's little chance of losing a cripple.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I can't recall the last time I missed having three shots. I remember someone saying once that we're not at war with the birds. Although, whoever that person was, has obviously never hunted chukars. Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Well said Wyochukar. 25 years with a pump. 15 years shooting SxS. I’ve never missed the third shot. They call it hunting. Not killing.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Kinda like wearing a mask you have choices......no one mandates that you must put 3 shells in an auto or a pump.

The way some of this is going, shooting a S x S puts you one step closer to divinity.

Never have been able to shoot one worth a spit, and I am no longer inclined to uh err try....gulp.....uh oh.

Never have been crazy about hot places......guess I better get used to it aye!!!

This is actually kind of funny. So it matters what kind of shotgun you use to kill a bird? Hmmmmmm so upland hunting is stuck in a time warp, where you must shoot a certain vintage gun? No modern new fangled shotguns are allowed?

Now let me get this straight, it is better to kill a bird with a S x S than a pump, auto, or O/U? Why? Is there some sort of elite club that you have to belong to also?

You know I once thought that this was one of the nicest forums on the internet.....and that might be true but.......I just realized I don't really belong here.

Bye Bye.

canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Kinda like wearing a mask you have choices......no one mandates that you must put 3 shells in an auto or a pump.

The way some of this is going, shooting a S x S puts you one step closer to divinity.

Never have been able to shoot one worth a spit, and I am no longer inclined to uh err try....gulp.....uh oh.

Never have been crazy about hot places......guess I better get used to it aye!!!

This is actually kind of funny. So it matters what kind of shotgun you use to kill a bird? Hmmmmmm so upland hunting is stuck in a time warp, where you must shoot a certain vintage gun? No modern new fangled shotguns are allowed?

Now let me get this straight, it is better to kill a bird with a S x S than a pump, auto, or O/U? Why? Is there some sort of elite club that you have to belong to also?

You know I once thought that this was one of the nicest forums on the internet.....and that might be true but.......I just realized I don't really belong here.

Bye Bye.

You are making some big leaps there.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
fourtown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I'm glad Garhart mentions his desire for a single shot. The logic is the same, whether going from three shots to two, from five shots to three, or going from two shots to one.

I grew up shooting a pump. I tried shooting OUs and SxS, but usually can't hit shit. I usually shoot pumps. Somedays I put three shells in, somedays I put two shells in, somedays I put one shell in.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

Relax Mark MSM2019, you are in good company, and among friends, and I can't see there was anything uppity meant by the 2 shots vs 3 deal. It was only some musings of a shooter on the benefit of the third shot. I enjoyed it. Me? I think the capacity of 3 shots has more pluses than minuses. I shoot both -- I love my doubles, but I'm not loading that Model 12 with less than 3 shots. Yes, It's a bitch when that last couple of sharptails hang in there til just the last moment and leave you with your jaw on the floor, fumbling for the shells that will never be chambered in time. That's the way it goes. And when you've accounted for that and have quickly reloaded, chances are there will be no laggard birds. It's Murphy's Law of upland shooting, I guess. We have to laugh when birds make fools of us. And after all, we're not going hungry if we don't get those birds. It certainly isn't necessary to have only 2 shot shots available to be a fair sport. We all know that. Think of the stories and memories of all the hunting situations that bamboozled us. Getting it "our way" every time is no measure of a man.

Kindest Regards,
Tony