16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Spring Turkeys 2021
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

We killed four nice birds in Alabama this spring, now it’s time to try a few in WI. Missed the trip to the Appalachians to hunt due a schedule change by one of the carpenters, but hope to make that trip next spring. Tried out some B&P Heavy Pheasant loads in the big double, one and 7/8 Oz nickel plated 6’s traveling 1,350 fps. Very nice load and cheap as 25 cost $28, very effective loads.

Reno

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Not a 16 but its a favorite gun of mine! This morning 1130

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63443_600x400/] [/URL]
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63444_600x400/] [/URL]
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Was able to get out and hunt with my friend last week. The toms were pretty well henned up, but I was able to take a 20 plus lb. jake.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Wisconsin is in full swing. Tagged out two weeks ago on one of nine heard in Door County. Beautiful place owned by the father of a friend whose trees have grown since I last killed a turkey there 16 years ago. This is also the location of a hunt I wrote about. This was the same land on which I called the longest hooked turkey I’ve ever seen alive, at five paces, early, dim lighting, with fiber optic sights perfectly aligned just below that gobbler’s ear, and not being surprised at the pace at which that bird left, unscathed, upon hearing my gun go “click” as I pulled the trigger.

Vindication it was not, but what a nice gobbler sent as a scout 40 yards ahead of the three Toms that I had targeted. My bird got that close, got nervous, then died because I didn’t trust him to keep a secret for the amount of time it would take for the big gobbler to be in range. My bird was big and heavy, and 3+years old by the looks of his hooks. I’m Blessed.

Reno

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:33 am  Reply with quote

Great story Reno. Wednesday was a good day for me . Tagged out in NY on another nice bird 20 pounds 4 oz. 10 inch beard and 1 3/8 hooks

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63478_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63479_600x400/] [/URL]
67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Had one gobble at 300 yards. Did not make another peep. 10 minutes later he was 10 feet in front of me. The rising sun flashed off of my glasses that I usually do not wear and he was off. He gobbled and strutted 100 yards off for the next 30 minutes. Then all the hens came to check me out. I thought he would follow but no. Next year he will be a wiser 4 year old bird.
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:15 am  Reply with quote

Reno, sounds like you had a fine season. You guys in the Wisc and Dakotas have birds that must feed on blacksmith anvils. 20 lbs. down here is a huge gobbler; a 20 lb. jake would be a freak of nature. Keith, sounds like you and George had some birds this year. I've put away my gear into the old blanket chest, washed down my bike and will clean the truck today and store the winch behind he second seats. I cut fresh rivercane a few weeks ago and its about dried. I'll make a few calls next year. Will be fishing and mushrooming soon. Chanterelles will have their first flush in June after a good rain. June 5th, last year. Dove season begins the first Saturday in September. The wheel keeps turning....Gil
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Reno , you've got to get that old 97 out for this sort of stuff !! Only gun ever made that you can cock and fire absolutely quiet ! Try it ... And , if it's a full , it is the most generally tight gun ever made . Don't need mags - will go 90% plus with 11/8 or 11/4 - especially likes 4's !

67galaxie
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Absolutely Gil! The chants will be all in the oak bottoms here then!
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

We usually hear from cowdoc this time of the year. Anyone hear from him? Gil
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
Reno , you've got to get that old 97 out for this sort of stuff !! Only gun ever made that you can cock and fire absolutely quiet ! Try it ... And , if it's a full , it is the most generally tight gun ever made . Don't need mags - will go 90% plus with 11/8 or 11/4 - especially likes 4's !
I have killed a truckload of Toms with the ‘97 over the years. Great gun to 40 yards and yes the hammer is quiet when you know how to do that. That gun fits me really well and I’ve yet to need to use it on a flying bird but am confident it would be a dream to swing. Reno

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
We usually hear from cowdoc this time of the year. Anyone hear from him? Gil

No, as in “no birds”. We may be on the comeback trail since I’ve seen a few hens and my wife said she actually heard a bird gobble but our bird numbers are still pitifully low, nobody seems to know why, and I’m on a self-imposed moratorium on the poor devils until I start seeing respectable numbers again. As led Jed Clampett used to say, “Piteeful”. I appreciate y’all thinking about me. And always glad to hear of my semi respectable friends having success. God is good.

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Alan, good to hear that you are still among the upright.
Tennessee at one time had some over generous fall limits that varied from county to county. I saw a photo of one kill by a man that had a stack of 5 birds that he claimed were all killed legally in the fall. Hens were in the stack. I don't believe any studies claim that the more birds killed in the fall (or spring) actually increases recruitment the following years. The southeast has been impacted by various theories of population decline ranging from the use of decoys, pop up blinds, starting the spring season too early before hens are bred, predator impact, numbers of hunters, etc. One interesting theory has been that not only does the dominant gobbler control the hens, but once he is removed the dominant hen takes a while to accept the new dominant gobbler's advances. The satellite birds were the subject of research back in the 1970s and it was determined that they often had lower testosterone and sperm counts than the dominant birds. Like many collapses of game population, rarely is it one factor at work. Beginning next year, Georgia's season will be delayed with a lower limit as well as a 1 bird limit for the first 10 days. I've had a good run over the past 45 seasons and feel as if I was part of the good old days of turkey hunting. Gil
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:21 am  Reply with quote

Plenty of turkeys in Maine, and the season doesn't begin until the beginning of May and end until the first weekend of June.

FWIW, the thermometer on my car read 49 F at 5:30 this morning.