16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16ga Sporting Clays options
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have now collected a number of 16ga guns for my hunting purposes and now want to turn my attention to clay games. I was wondering what all the 16ga aficionados think are the best Over and Under units for this purpose. I seem to remember a Browning version of the Citori specifically setup for this purpose but i can't find a hint of that lately. Rizzini has the Comp 16 and the new upland company has a unit that seems to fit the purpose. If i wanted to spend around 4k on a 16ga sporting clays gun what are my options...in your humble opinion. As always...thx in advance.

P.s. I tried to do some searches but "sporting clays" returns a lot of posts!

Be well...Orwell

gunsrus
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Browning 525 Sporting Clays made in a very short run . Maybe a couple hundred out there with 30" or 32" tubes . I shoot one . They command pretty good money now .
16'er
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Seems like the Rizzini fits the bill quite nicely for you.

My only reservation would be the eight pound listed weight. I’m use to field weight guns, and going from around 6.25 lbs SxS’s to an eight pound o/u would be a substantial difference.

The Browning 525 16ga with 28” barrels should be easier to find than the 525 sporting 16. If you can live with the shorter tubes, it will be right around seven pounds. Have briley or such fabricate up a set of extended custom choke tubes, add a nice sporting clay pad and spend the rest of the money on targets and shells. If you need to, have the stock bent to your cast, or add an adjustable comb.

Not many choices out there. A few years ago you could pick up a perazzi field 16ga for around 5k used... now that the latest run from the factory listed at three times that amount, good luck on finding a deal on one!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Harry_Orwell,

It depends on what you want to accomplish. Do you want to be competitive or do you just want to have fun?

A 7 lb. or less shotgun for sporting is going to beat you up by the end of the day, unless you use very light loads. It will not have the weight and balance for a smooth swing and a proper follow through for most folks.

Not saying you can't shoot well with a 28" barreled shotgun in sporting, but over the long haul a light 28" barreled over/under isn't going to get the job done.

The BEST option is to find a Browning 525 Sporting with 32" barrels. The Rizzini looks like a winner but I have never tried one.

Now if you just want to have fun, there are any number of 16 ga. O/U shotguns to shoot sporting with, but probably not competitively.

I have tried to use my Browning Citori Lightning with 28" barrels for sporting clays, nah, not a good idea. Too light and too short, unless you have perfect, fine motor skills, something I do not possess......... I have also tried my 28" barreled 16 gauge 1100. Much closer to what you might want to use but still a bit on the short side. Too much weight between the hands for me, I need a bit more weight forward, to shoot my best.

Jta5er
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:28 am  Reply with quote

I just recently sold a Rizzini 16 omnium/br110 early one with 29” barrels it was great for clays 7.75lbs and weight forward. Was built for South American dove pigeon shoot
It would work well.
Have seen many for 2k the heavy early ones have Anson push button type forend not a latch.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Jta5er wrote:
I just recently sold a Rizzini 16 omnium/br110 early one with 29” barrels it was great for clays 7.75lbs and weight forward. Was built for South American dove pigeon shoot
It would work well.
Have seen many for 2k the heavy early ones have Anson push button type forend not a latch.

That would be my choice also. Current 16 ga. BR110 are 7.5 pounds and that is the number one knock on them by most, they are heavy for a 16 ga. Which is perfect for SC.

I have 2 B. Rizzini guns first run Vertex in 12 ga. My youngest son has put more than 100,000 round through his and was the Mn. ATA class runner up with it at State 16 years ago. When he was 14. The action and everything else is the same as the BR110. Never had any issues with it at all.

F.A.I.R. makes a 16 ga. O\U but they are light. I have a F.A.I.R. made NEA 500 which was F.A.I.R.'s first introduction into the US market just over 20 years ago. In addition to the 28" bbl. have a 30" bbl. for it for clays.

They no longer make the POW grip the new ones are full pistol. But at just over 6 pounds it is light. I shoot 7/8 oz. through it with no problems. With 1 oz. loads I eventually start to get the yips again and will occasionally flinch. The B. Rizzini is a much better target gun IMO.

Really not much sense downloading to 7/8 oz. for clays with the 16 they are going to class a 16 ga. with the 12 ga. guns. If you go to 7/8 oz. might as well shoot a 20 ga. Many shooting a 12 are going to be using 1 oz. and you really aren't giving up anything to them with a 16 as long as you are using a 1 oz. payload.

I talked to John Herkowitz at Pacific Sporting Arms last summer to order their Dickinson Plantation Sporting SxS in 16 ga. with 32" bbls. He did mention that he could order me a Perazzi 32" 16 ga. I asked how much and my head is still spinning.

EDIT:
Forgot to add the Rizzini Competition 16 is going to be the same action as the BR110. You are paying extra for the coin finish. Not that there is anything wrong with that and I kind of like it personally.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron

I have always been interested in the B.Rizzini guns. But always a bit skeptical as the posted weights are too light for me. I do not like shotguns for any use under 7 lbs.

The B. Rizzini website says that the field model BR110 in 12 ga. is 6.75 lbs. You have stated that the 16 ga. BR110 is 7.5 lbs.

Am I looking at the wrong model?

Also they offer a special order 32" barrel, which I would also be interested in.

Comments?

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Harry,

I hate to say this cause I am a guy who believes the glass is always 3/4 full. However if the shell manufacturers don't start making good shells at reasonable prices again, it is going to be real tough shooting Clays or anything else. Even RST and Poly who provide me with most of my bird hunting shells, for my Classic American & German Best double guns have almost no shells available at this time. Having invested in 3 nice double guns this year, I am now questioning my decision to spend money on guns that I can not get shells to shoot.

Fortunately I stocked up just before things got crazy with the China Virus, I am using my shells sparingly at this point. Making sure I have enough shells for Grouse & Woodcock hunting this coming fall. If I am going to purchase another L.C. Smith double gun for over 4K, I sure would like to know I can purchase shells for that nice 16 gauge double gun. Very little around right now.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Mark,

Weights on manufacture websites are usually off, by a good bit. Sometimes they have fine print that say weight varies based on wood, etc. But you have been around long enough pretty sure you have a good idea of that already Very Happy

Nasty-G (George) on here bought one of the first BR110 16 ga. guns and his was way heavier than listed it was 7.5 pounds he returned it to Cabelas. George is my neighbor in SD a couple of weeks out of the year or was until the Admiral bought a house a few blocks away from his. My Toller that has long since passed over the rainbow bridge in front of Georges house in SD.

Rizzini has since come out with an alloy version which is of course lighter. But would not want to use one for clays.

The Comp 16 is offered in 32". Rizzini makes a fair number of dedicated clay guns and in some models you can go to 34" if you want to.

Lowest price point is the BR110 and they make the BR110 Sporter in 12 and 20 ga. a 32" is going to run ~8 pounds some go up to 8.5 pounds.

The sporter X has adjustable comb and mid height rib and run about 8.5 pounds. Coles has some in stock or did they go fast. Selling price is ~$2,500 which is a lot of gun for the money IMO.

I like a higher rib and prefer to shoot in a more heads up position. If they offered the Sporter X in 16 ga. I'd be all over it! And may get one in 12 at some point anyhow. But for the last 3 years or so been shooting my high rib SxS guns for clays more and more. Grab the Cordoba sometimes but the hulls fly into the weeds where I can't always recover them so waiting for "disposable" shells to become available again.

Have plenty of hulls STS and Nitros, CF and HS AA's in 12 and 20. But more than 5K 16 Cheddite hulls plus at least 12 flats of Herters left yet. Have a CZ Sharptail 16 ga. that is 7.5 pounds but the 28" bbls. are a handicap, at least at most places I shoot at. And even though I shoot it well having a hard time warming up to the gun. All my other 16 ga. guns are light for heavy duty clay shooting at least with 1 oz. loads. And I'm down to 2,500 DR16 wads. Which is why I ordered a Dickinson Sporter SxS if it runs true with the 12 and 20 I own should come in at just over 7.5 pounds which is border line light. But they fit me well so perceived recoil is low.

First time in my life I've started looking at new guns based on my shells on hand and supplies in the reloading room. I'm actually sitting pretty good for 16 ga. But will need some more SG16 wads down the road.

I would not hesitate to jump on a BR110 Sporter if I was in the market.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:15 am  Reply with quote

The idea of using a 16 for clays just doesn't make sense to me. The 16 excels at being a spectacular upland game cartridge because while it's almost as fully-lethal as a 12, it's slightly reduced size and capacity allows for a smaller frame and tubes, making the resulting shotgun far-easier to carry and mount with alacrity. Clay games involve high-volume shooting, which besides increased cost (a very-real challenge at the moment!) also means an increased level of felt recoil in a lighter gun. Cumulative recoil is a very real thing and becomes readily apparent (to even me) at somewhere near 100 shells fired.

I'm a fairly largish person (6'3 and 240lbs) and even after 50 rounds on clays range with a field gun I'm starting to feel abused. The economics of 12 gauge target shooting have always been an a challenge (even in the best of times), and I can't imagine approaching that prospect now in a 16, with even cheap 12-gauge shells at $18 a box when you can find them.

My latest acquisition is a clays target gun that weighs 9lbs15ozs. I wanted all of that weight to insulate me from all the shells I plan on burning in it (assuming that I can eventually find either the components or some actual shells to use in it). I'm guardedly optimistic that production will eventually catch up with all the hording that has gone-on of late. and... that's for 12 gauge shells. 16s are way down on the production food-chain at the moment. God only knows when they will reappear again. Hording there actually makes a certain kind of sense.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Sun May 16, 2021 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

silverbowff
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

10 lbs fully loaded! In the hilly terrain where I shoot sporting clays (at my age) I would need a caisson to move that around for a hundred target shoot.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

The gun carts I see everybody using at the local clays ranges are effectively caissons. Target guns usually are bridge timbers when compared to game guns and that's deliberate. Different horses for different courses...

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
The idea of using a 16 for clays just doesn't make sense to me. The 16 excels at being a spectacular upland game cartridge because while it's almost as fully-lethal as a 12, it's slightly reduced size and capacity allows for a smaller frame and tubes, making the resulting shotgun far-easier to carry and mount with alacrity. Clay games involve high-volume shooting, which besides increased cost (a very-real challenge at the moment!) also means an increased level of felt recoil in a lighter gun. Cumulative recoil is a very real thing and becomes readily apparent (to even me) at somewhere near 100 shells fired.

I'm a fairly largish person (6'3 and 240lbs) and even after 50 rounds on clays range with a field gun I'm starting to feel abused. The economics of 12 gauge target shooting have always been an a challenge (even in the best of times), and I can't imagine approaching that prospect now in a 16, with even cheap 12-gauge shells at $18 a box when you can find them.

My latest acquisition is a clays target gun that weighs 9lbs15ozs. I wanted all of that weight to insulate me from all the shells I plan on burning in it (assuming that I can eventually find either the components or some actual shells to use in it). I'm guardedly optimistic that production will eventually catch up with all the hording that has gone-on of late. and... that's for 12 gauge shells. 16s are way down on the production food-chain at the moment. God only knows when they will reappear again. Hording there actually makes a certain kind of sense.

Dang what did you end up with for a SC gun?! At 10 pounds it sounds like a Trap gun?

Great once you get it moving and helps swing through the target. But a bit of a chore swinging it back the other way for the second bird on a true pair. Of course depends on balance and MOI, etc. but that is a lot of gun. I prefer 7.5 to 8.5 pounds for SC that is my sweet spot.

The 32" Rizzini Competition that Orwell mentioned in the original post is 8 pounds. Perfect for 1 oz. 16 ga. loads and SC IMO.

A person's physical build has nothing to do with recoil sensitivity. And visual flinches are as common as physical flinches once you shoot enough. But recoil does still play a part. And as you said it is cumulative.

For more than 15 years I shot a Joel Etchen Guns custom 687\682 Gold E with EELL wood at 8.5 pounds.

Trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5 stand, everything. 10k-12k rounds a year. Around the 10th year started getting the yips and ended up putting a PFS on it

Ugly as sin but effective. Went down to 7/8 oz. loads and gradually worked my way back up. After a couple of years finally was able to put the EELL wood back on it but still not 1 1/8 oz. without flinching. Still turned out better than most people can do in recovery. Anything to keep from going to a release trigger is fine by me.

My 12 ga. Dickinson Plantation Sporting is 8 pounds and I had an ISIS recoil reducer put on it.

They are effective and I can shoot 1 1/8 oz. with it. That grade 4 wood is beautiful but knew when I picked it that the grain was running the wrong way at the wrist. But like a moth drawn to a flame I couldn't help myself LOL. Mark Larson has it now working his magic to put the wrist wood back together again.

So been primarily shooting my 20 ga. Dickinson Plantation Sporting this Spring at 7.5 pounds.

Of course with 7/8 oz. 20 ga. loads it is a pussycat. But prefer 1 oz. or better payloads unless I am shooting skeet. Doesn't take much to kill those skeet targets and it is my game for mental masturabution. To remind myself I can still hit targets after shooting a round of sporting clays Embarassed

Cart? My cart has air conditioning

Had to look for a picture of it with a 16 ga. and that is RobP AyA #2 16 ga. in the sure grip rack.

In the fall the rack comes off and the dog box goes on.

That was with fourtrax a couple of years ago. 3 of those grouse are his, he was on fire that day.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

While the 16 gauge may not make sense for an all out competitive sporting clays shotgun, it does make sense if you want to have fun.

I am 64, made it to AA class in the NSCA. Now that I am living in ND, there aren't enough people or events for me to ever make it to master class, unless I start traveling, which I am not interested in doing.

So for me I want to shoot a 16 gauge and just have a good time, shooting the gun and gauge that I want to shoot. Ballistically you aren't giving up much of anything to a 12 gauge using either 1 or 1 1/8 oz. loads. I have already shot my 16 ga. 1100 well enough at sporting to know that it won't be the gun or gauge that stops me from shooting well.

I know that the Rizzini BR110 in 16 ga. or Comp16 with 32" barrels may not be the ideal sporting shotgun, but plenty good enough to have some fun and claim bragging rights now and then......and that's good enough for me.

As far as ammo goes, I reload for both 12 and 16, so there is no issue with having top quality shells.

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Can't thank you guys enough. Lots of great info for sure. This is exactly why I love this site. My brother and I have started shooting more and more lately and I got hooked on the 16ga way back around the turn of this century. Bought my first 16 (Browning 525 Field) from a guy named Bill Hanus who some of you may remember. He used to be common on this site if my memory serves me right. Unfortunately he's gone now but what a champion of the 16. Anyway, I just like the gauge and I doubt I'll ever compete but you never know. I just like being little different. Gun weight doesn't bother me and the advantages for clay games are apparent. I have recently started reloading also which has made it a bit easier to obtain ammo. I appreciate all the info...definitely going to look for something with weight and longer barrels. Thx again for all the great feedback.

Harry O