16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  RBL
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:14 am  Reply with quote

I know, it's currently only offered in 20 gauge.
But, the deadline for placing an order on one is 12/31/2006. Then the price is going up. I heard it was going up at least 2K. Rumor also has it that they will be coming out with a 16 gauge set of barrels to fit these guns. Very Happy
So, I made the leap and just ordered one of these guns. Upgraded wood, two triggers, straight stock with 14-3/4" LOP, splinter forearm, case colored. With instructions to add the 16 gauge barrels should they be available by the time my gun is built. Which could be 12 to 18 months from now. My next years Christmas gift to myself. Wink
Has any one had thoughts about ordering one of these guns?

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
Has any one had thoughts about ordering one of these guns?

Have definitely thought about it alot... I think for me the big thing would be if they would absolutely confirm that they were going to offer 16ga barrels on the guns and what the (approximate) price was going to be.

Very nice guns, but the backlog on orders and the $2K price jump makes me wonder if CSMC really knew what they were getting into.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:57 am  Reply with quote

I agonised over it when I first saw the add about 16 months ago. If it had been a 16 I'd prolly have taken the plunge.
At this point I'm glad I didn't, though I may regret it if I ever see one in the flesh. If you've followed the many lengthy threads on DGBBS you know my concerns. Many happy owners, and quite a few disappointed, some requiring multiple return trips to the plant to fix things that shouldn't have been wrong in the first place, and several for sale.

I'm not sure if I missed the deal of the century, or if it will turn out to be a flash in the pan. I guess time will tell.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

They look like pretty dang nice guns-congrats on taking the plunge. Most of the complaining I've seen was related to how long they take (a reasonable beef on a gun in this price range, I think) to deliver, and guys looking them over with a microscope thinking they were getting a Purdey or a Boss for about 3K. Some of that Tony brought on himself with the hype.
The thing that held me back(along with a rather full gunsafe at the moment)was all the modern technology that was supposed to improve things that I didn't see as broken-cryo technology in a shotgun barrel sounds like something I can live without, and hasn't been proven in that application long term. Screw in chokes stick in my craw on a double, why can't I have it without? Gold titanium nitride looks great on a drill bit, then it looks like hell after you use it-are those fancy looking parts going to get the same scuffed up look after some use? Things like that.
If they ever get the Gold Label sorted, I would prefer the plain look of a gun rather than the ersatz engraving on the RBL, but, that is a subjective thing. The RBL does come with double triggers hip-hip hooray for that. Perhaps both guns are a sign of things to come, and that would be a great thing. Good Luck.
Best,
Ted
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

I too hate screw in chokes, that's why I have SxS's choked in every combination. Smile The gold triggers also are a bad thing, but what ya going to do. Sad As for the time frame, I don't care if it's two years, I have guns to shoot in the mean time. If it's not right when I get it, I'll just send it back till it is. I kinda just figured, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I debated over this thing for a year or better. When it came crunch time I did it. I will update this post in about 18 months, or when the gun arrives. Wink

grousewoods
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I'm with you, just send in the money for one myself today,I can look in the safe and see guns that I should have past on and think of the ones I should have. Life is way to short!
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

Where does the increase of $2k come from? That sounds out of bounds.

Jeff
Brad6260
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
I think it's a terrible idea.
Did you just spend your Kansas trip money you putz ?

Welcome aboard Dave.
I ordered an RBL 9/30/05. I'll likely see my gun in about 3 -4 months. All in all I am not the least bit impressed with how Tony Galazan has handled the whole thing but we'll see. Bottom line is that for the money I'm willing to take a low risk chance and see what happens.
I feel certain in the end the guns are going to be a good value. I have handled then on two occasions and wow if the 16 barrel set ever turns up that would be interesting to say the least.

Happy Holidays to all the 16 Brotheren out there.

Brad
ChopperGuy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered one and paid up front in the first week of the opening offer.

I received it about a month ago and sold it without even shooting it. During the wait, I picked up a really nice 28 bore that I shoot VERY well so the RBL became a non-factor for me when it arrived.

The RBL was VERY nicely fitted and finished. I ordered mine with every option available except upgraded wood because I use all my shotguns and I like pretty wood, but it tends to show use so soon I didn't think the extra $$ for wood was worth it to me. The case colored receiver was very nice and I was overall impressed with the gun for the price point it is at.

The guy who bought it is happy and I don't have something in the safe I need to get rid of so it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

If it was a 16 or a 28, it would have stayed here. I can recommend it to any one who wants or even thinks they want one.

Good luck.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
Where does the increase of $2k come from? That sounds out of bounds.

Jeff

Jeff, the chatter on one of the other sites is. That Tony is losing about 1K per gun at the current cost. This may have been true at the beginning of production. I don't know if it still is. However, they are saying to expect about a 2K increase in price when the launch edition is over. There has been so many rumors about this gun and CSMC, that who knows what is true. I guess only time will tell.

bamboozler
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I cannot believe CSMC will be increasing the price of their RBL $2000...I would think, and I am quite sure Tony believes that a huge increase of $2000 would destroy the market niche and price point they were aiming at.

I would think that perhaps a modest price increase could happen--but not two grand.
budrichard
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:51 am  Reply with quote

I have RBL #3X ordered about 5 min after I got the email from CSMC and paid in full upfront. I have met Tony a # of times and handled many of his guns whether 21's, Fox's or Galazan's. Tony always impressed me with his dedication, knowledge and determination. His guns spoke for themselves. I had never purchased a gun from Tony because I was collecting original Win 21's.
Gun was SST, Exhibition Black Walnut with best feather crotch on the right side, Case Color and assisted opening.
Gun arrived about 2 months ago. It's very nice and actually kills pheseant!
There are many Trolls and Whiners Posting on other Forums which I consider crap. These individuals will probably start Posting on this Forum which is why I am writing this.-Dick
BTW, gun is 6# 4oz.

nutcase
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Speaking of price increases, another gun you can't get anytime soon, the Ruger Gold Label is now priced @ $2,650.
carpe dm
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:42 am  Reply with quote

OK Dave!! Now you can send me that Parker.......... Very Happy

walt lister
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:17 am  Reply with quote

I sure am happy with mine. I asked for only one upgrade on the wood and am very impressed with the result. Some delays on a startup in manufacturing a new product is not unusual. I decided to take the risk and as far as I am concerned it paid off big-time. Smile

It also does pretty good on those pesky desert quail.