16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  It's Official: DGJ Pronounces the 16 HOT
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Quoting an article by Diggory Hadoke on p. 13 of the Winter 2006 Double Gun Journal
"Well, the overwhelming trend of the moment is the resurrection in the market of 16-bore shotguns.
As with the hammer-gun market in the mid-1990s, we can look to our foresighted American cousins as the driving force in this revival. Ever ready to spot a bargain and exploit an anomaly, (anomaly Question ) American buyers have swooped on the 16 bore, which had languished in the bargain bucket of the British gun trade for around fifteen years.
For years, the poor old sixteen lacked the status of the 'must have' 20 bore and was again bypassed when the next trend emerged for the rare and over-priced 28 bore. Then, all of a sudden, people began to recognise that the 16 bore is a real performer. It handles an ounce of No. 7 with wonderful efficiency and offers a good alternative to the shooter who wants a gun lighter than his standard 12 bore but without suffering the price-premium, or the ballistic shortcomings, or the 20 bore.
Now, being a 16 bore adds 15 percent to the value it would command were it a twelve!"
(I'd say 15% is a low end estimate)

Gee-ain't it great to be cool again? Very Happy

Last edited by revdocdrew on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

If only more writers,shooters and the reloading industry agreeed.
old16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

What about Downrange .They seem to be alert to the fact that their is some money to be made here. Especially if your the first to be really serious about the 16ga shooter.

Brad6260
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

I was motivated enough to bring over some of these great old English 16 bores that I established funds in a bank account in England for Diggory to buy at will on my behalf. After months of looking high and low at the big and small auctions and regional game fairs we concluded as stated above that the boat has sailed. Out of 16 small bore guns listed in the big fall Sotheby's sale that I asked Dig to look into there were three that were worth going after due to condition. Those three sold at an average od 30% above th high pre-auction estimate.One at 50%.

FYI- Diggory is a reliable and reputable chap to deal with.

One word of caution. There are a lot of cool attractive English guns on the market in the U.S. right now in the seemingly attractive range of 2k - 6k.
Look them over VERY carefully and do not buy anything without reliable wall thickness measured.

Having said all that grab em if you can find a good one there a blast.

Cheers,

Brad
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Then, all of a sudden, people began to recognise that the 16 bore is a real performer.

Horsehockey! I knew about it way back in the early 60's. I was fortunate enough to have a dad who bought me a secondhand Ithaca
37 Featherlight in 16ga. Used it to chase pheasants in standing corn.
He liked #4 shot with his full choke, I usually tried to find #5's.

It is nice, for once, to already be on the bandwagon everyone's trying to jump on. 16ga might be COOL now, but back then it was the norm.
Friends and relatives who took home birds often left their remaining shotshells as a sort of thank you for letting them hunt our land. 12ga shells piled up until '74 when I bought an 870 in that bore.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Maybe 16's were bargains in England until fairly recently, but those days ended in this country at least a decade ago, if not longer. And while decent British 12ga game guns (which, generally, weigh and handle pretty much like American 16's) are often good buys, Brit 16's have brought quite a premium over here for a long time.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
If only more writers,shooters and the reloading industry agreeed.

Amen!!

revdocdrew - to steal a passage from a ol' great song, "I was country before country was cool". In our case, we were sixteeners before sixteens were cool. Very Happy

Hc

fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

Ain't it wonderful when common sense finally prevails? Very Happy

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:28 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Quoting an article by Diggory Hadoke on p. 13 of the Winter 2006 Double Gun Journal
"Well, the overwhelming trend of the moment is the resurrection in the market of 16-bore shotguns.
As with the hammer-gun market in the mid-1990s, we can look to our foresighted American cousins as the driving force in this revival. :D

Since I have only encountered one chap out and about with a Brit hammer gun I would say this revival doesn't mean much if the author is comparing the 16 revival to the hammer gun revival.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:33 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Ever ready to spot a bargain and exploit an anomaly, (anomaly Question ) American buyers have swooped on the 16 bore, which had languished in the bargain bucket of the British gun trade for around fifteen years.

How come the 16 ga shells never found their way into that bargain bucket?