16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anyone ever cold weather test a load?
makintrax73
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:48 am  Reply with quote

I recently posted a load I had Precision Reloading test for me over on the 24hourcampfire forum. Haven't gotten much response or comment, except one member asking about cold weather performance with Herco in 16ga. Have any of you guys ever tested velocities hot to cold? What change in performance is acceptable?

Here is the short version of my results:

Load: Fiocchi Hull cut to 2.6", Fio Primer, 23.0gr Herco, SG 16, 420gr 7 1/2 pb, roll crimp to 2.4"

Results per pressure testing at Precision Reloading - room temperature:
Average Velocity 1,273 fps Standard Deviation: 19 fps Extreme Spread: 52 fps
Average Pressure: 6,797 psi Standard Deviation: 337 psi Extreme Spread: 810 psi

Here is the short version of my cold weather testing:

Ambient 46 degrees Shot Test: Average: 1,175fps SD: 23

Cold Soaked Test
Procedure: 5 rounds placed in the freezer overnight. Rounds transported to the range in a cooler with cold packs. Barrel and receiver cold soaked for 5 minutes with cold packs before starting the string, and for 2 minutes between each shot. Do not have a non-contact thermometer, but I believe the freezer and cold packs are well below freezing, but who knows.

Average: 1,137 fps SD: 28
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:41 am  Reply with quote

Yes, I have done a lot of cold weather stuff.

IF you have a good load, you should be able to cold soak it for 24 hours between 0 and -5 degrees F (typical freezer temp). It should not lose more than 5% of the velocity.

The issue with your load is the Fiocchi primer. They don't cut it with a slower double based powder such as Herco. With Herco you need either Winchester 209, CCI209M or Federal 209A primers. I know I will get flack for that but that's just the way it is.

The telltale sign that it isn't a good load to start out with is the original testing done by Precision: Sd of 19 FPS and ES of 52 FPS. Not terrible, but not solid either.

When having a load tested, with all the powder and shot weights individually weighed. Using a 10 shot string you should get:

Sd - =/< 14 FPS

ES - =/< 35 FPS

Not every load exhibiting the numbers above will pass the cold soak test, but it is a good start.

Do not cold soak the barrel and receiver. You ALWAYS fire two warming shots before you run a load over the chronograph. You are testing the ammo at cold temps. Cooling off the barrel/receiver adds another layer of variables.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:56 am  Reply with quote

makintrax73,

Can I ask why you built this load? Older double with short chambers?

makintrax73
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:23 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
makintrax73,

Can I ask why you built this load? Older double with short chambers?

1920's Belgium Double with 65mm chambers.

Herco is the only powder I have available with data. I finally found some after this load was sent in......Vectan A1. That's a single base powder, but no data for Fiocchi hulls, nor 1oz shot. I bought it anyway in case I want to experiment. It appears to be in between Green Dot and Unique so it might be possible to work a different load up. But I also have a limited supply of primed hulls at this point.

Appreciate the advice. The numbers looked to me to be too large of a drop off, but I appreciate knowing I was thinking along the right lines.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Here is actual Noble Sport (Vectan) reloading data. It is not the same data that Graf's presented.

There is data for a 1 oz. load in 16 gauge. Notice that there is no wad or hull specified and the hull used was 2 3/4" in length. The velocity and pressure given when converted are 1295 FPS & 9862 PSI. Those Fiocchi primers just might work well with Vectan A1. I would not think twice about using a Fiocchi hull cut down w/ a roll crimp, Fiocchi primer, 21.6 grains of A-1 and a Gualandi SG16 wad. If you are concerned about the PSI, send it in to Precision and see how it works out. If I had a modern 16 gauge gun, I would get the velocity work done before I sent the load in for testing. If 1295 FPS is a bit too hot, drop the powder to 20.0 grains of A-1.

I have used this data for 12 ga. 1 oz. loads using Vectan AS. It was on the money for velocity when compared to the data that Graf's supplied.

https://www.nobelsport.it/en/area-download-en/download-en?view=simplefilemanager&id=16

Click on the word 'download'.

makintrax73
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Here is actual Noble Sport (Vectan) reloading data. It is not the same data that Graf's presented.

There is data for a 1 oz. load in 16 gauge. Notice that there is no wad or hull specified and the hull used was 2 3/4" in length. The velocity and pressure given when converted are 1295 FPS & 9862 PSI. Those Fiocchi primers just might work well with Vectan A1. I would not think twice about using a Fiocchi hull cut down w/ a roll crimp, Fiocchi primer, 21.6 grains of A-1 and a Gualandi SG16 wad. If you are concerned about the PSI, send it in to Precision and see how it works out. If I had a modern 16 gauge gun, I would get the velocity work done before I sent the load in for testing. If 1295 FPS is a bit too hot, drop the powder to 20.0 grains of A-1.

I have used this data for 12 ga. 1 oz. loads using Vectan AS. It was on the money for velocity when compared to the data that Graf's supplied.

https://www.nobelsport.it/en/area-download-en/download-en?view=simplefilemanager&id=16

Click on the word 'download'.

Thanks! I do have a junky Stevens single shot 2 3/4" gun that I use for load testing. It's a piece of junk, but it's solid.

I may just go ahead and work up a couple from 20, 20.5 etc. Stop at 1,250 +/- and send them in for a test. I see GreenDot listed at 20.0 with my components, and it's supposed to be faster than A1. I don't see much harm at 9,000psi or so even with an older gun (it's fluid steel and in excellent shape), and I'd expect better field temp performance.

Getting a little nervous about shell supplies for next fall already.
Confused
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

makintrax73,

Fortunately and not by any great thinking on my part, I have enough components to take me through the next two hunting seasons.

So I know how you feel!! The good news is you have plenty of time to get everything ready.

Good luck, I hope it all works out well for you.

Keep us posted.

makintrax73
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:38 am  Reply with quote

I went ahead and loaded up a couple rounds substituting 20.0 grains of Vectan A1 in place of 23.0 Herco.

The avg velocity was right at 1,200fps, so I'd say your guess is pretty close.

I was able to order a few hundred primed Cheddite hulls after seeing those were in stock, so I'm going to re-start load development with Cheddite hulls and Vectan A1.

I'll start a new thread with my results once I get the loads tested.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:15 am  Reply with quote

Very good. Cool Cool