16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  I saw new factory target ammo back on the shelf today
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:58 am  Reply with quote

They must be sending shells from Texas, damn in 2 Academy's and 2 Walmart's yesterday in Houston. Shelves are bare. Noticed at the Academy that the normal shotgun space is shrinking too.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

At my local Walmart it's basically the same as the other post-ers up-thread have shown. A few boxes of 16 on the shelf. I got a 325 of .Federal .22 LR last week at normal retail (17.99 plus tax). They also had Remington Express in 12 and 20, a couple boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 and some other odds and ends.

While I was there checking out the woman in the ammo department was asked by another customer when she knew what she would be getting and if they told her. She said the deliveries are "random", they don't tell her when they will come nor do they tell her what. I deduce this could easily be an internal Walmart thing to thwart the guys who go in every day to buy everything on the shelf and to thwart the occasional employee who might sell that information to the profiteers. Or she could have been making it up to get rid of the guy.

In Cabelas yesterday, late afternoon, the ammo-unloading table, where they put out today's deliveries, had bulk packs of 5.56, .308, and a couple 9mm. Also a few pounds of Pyrodex. They also had bricks of federal 209 and 209A and CCI small rifle, large rifle and large pistol primers. One brick per person per day and they were 65 a brick. I'm good in that department so I called a friend who wasn't and he told me to pick up some shotgun primers as he was short.

On the shelves they had plenty of 3 kinds of 17 caliber ammo, a bunch of 7.62 x54R, .308, some 5.56, .40 and some other odds and ends - 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.8 STW, 30/378 Weatherby, you get the idea. The interesting thing was the ammo unloading table was not mobbed - I was the only guy there - even though the store was busy. I think they also had some flats of shotgun shells. Not a lot, though.

Might have just been Father's Day that they had a lot or whatever, but the shelves are starting to be less empty. Still, a lot of their shelves they've lined with boxes of clay birds just to keep the shelves from being bare.

It's getting better. There was a news report last week about an investor call with S&W in which the spokesman indicated they foresee the shortage to continue. But it is getting better.

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

At my local independent gun shop, the owner says his ammo supplier sends a truck and "I have absolutely no idea what's inside or what I'm going to get until it shows up. I tell them I'll take whatever ammo you've got, I don't care what it is."
fourtown
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:39 am  Reply with quote

The huge Remington Ammo Plant in Ark. has been back in operation since April . That will start to provide more ammo on the shelves soon.