16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  I saw new factory target ammo back on the shelf today
Bill K
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

I live on the north shore of Boston, and today I visited one of my local gun shops.

Anyway I was surprised to see a small quantity of fresh factory target ammunition back on their shelf.

It was Winchester AA .410 target ammo priced at $29.00 per box of 25 !

That’s about three times the amount I paid for it the last time I bought it, when it was available before Biden became President.

And no, I didn’t buy it.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
ROMAC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:41 am  Reply with quote

I was in my LGS last week and they had piles of 200 round "Range Packs" of bulk .223 and 9mm for $199!
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:22 am  Reply with quote

For ammo Academy has had a good variety but it goes quickly. I stopped by mid morning and they had .22 LR &. handgun rounds. I was surprised at the quantity
the clerk told me it would be gone by lunch. Recent increases were evident but not gouging prices.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Can't help but wonder what the new "normal" baseline for ammo/components will be Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
fourtown
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

I was in my local Gander Outdoors today. They had new supplies of Steel Shot Loads in 10, 12 and 20 ga. This is the first time I have seen basically any ammo on any shelf. The only rifle shells were 300 Savage and 22 mag.
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:32 am  Reply with quote

Barring new legislation I think we will come out as we did during obamas admin
with price increases. When production increases so does cost which is understandable. When demand cools off any capital expenditures for space, machinery & taxes will still exist. Then prices will again increase,but availability returns.Just my opinion

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:08 am  Reply with quote

fourtimes4 wrote:
Barring new legislation

That is the key, but I think the antis also know this and will push to get as much through before the 2022 election as possible, possibly including increasing the supreme court to 13 and making DC a state. Additionally, I've read that some anti groups are buying the controlling interests in several firearms companies, thus regulating the supply and increasing costs.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Scheel's in Bismarck had some steel and bismuth loads but not too much of any of it. ZERO reloading components except for wads.

I went to an LGS and they had NOTHING. Not even a decent amount of used guns. Earlier this year I was able to get lead shot, Steel powder and Green Dot powder and they had some interesting used guns.

Not this time.

duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Winchester AA Heavy Target, Federal Target, Remington Dove, & Estates all in stock at the nearby Academy Sports. Good to see it. It would have been a great day if any were 16ga. Still happy with a case of AA & another of Federals in 12.

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:42 am  Reply with quote

here's how "SPOTTY" it is here !! Talked to my guy about another subject and mentioned if he had any loading stuff .(yesterday) . said he had #8 shot . Decided to take a ride out today and about 5 guys ahead of me . Dude ahead asked if he had shells - yes ! Not many . Let some other guys get in ahead of me , and he still had a few flats left . Only Winnie powder . Took a flat of 12ga & 20ga . Didn't really need the shot anyway . While cashing out , a dude walks in with an unopened box of Universal and wanted credit - yup ! Waited till he left , got a 4#er of Uni , and left . Shells ran out as I left and only a couple bags of shot left , which I'm sure are gone now . as is the other Uni jug .... all in a 5 min window !!

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:55 am  Reply with quote

When I was loading up my gear for the Southern Side by Side last week I found two flats of Remington Gun Clubs in 20ga that I did not remember purchasing. Must have found a sale.
I took them with me since i do not shoot much 20ga and sold them to a fellow shooter for $70/case! I know I did not pay that much for them but I was not going to rip somebody off. That was about the going price for them before the shortage happened so I got some spending money and helped someone else out. I went to the Leatherman tent and bought a nice new leather shell pouch for the belt and still had some left for dinner.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

Was in my local Wally World yesterday and went to the back corner just to check on ammo availability. The shot shell shelves were still pretty bare but there were a dozen or so boxes of 12's, a couple of boxes of 20 and one box of 28. The surprising thing was this.

These are the first 16's I've seen in probably a year - three boxes of 7.5's and two boxes of 6's. And I didn't think the prices were too bad considering.
Maybe we're starting to come out of this.
Fortycaliberglock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Same here in Alabama. I was able to pickup a few boxes of 16s from Wally World. Nice to see again. Bass Pro has also been doing a good job restocking shot shells, rifle and pistol ammo. For the first time in a long time, I was happy to leave boxes of 5.56,
9mm and 12 and 20 gauge on the shelf. If a box of 16 gauge is available, I will buy it. But, I’m fine on everything else.
John1
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:08 am  Reply with quote

I was in my local Walmart yesterday and saw Remington express 16 in both 4 and 6 shot as well as Federal field loads I believe. Had little of anything else. I didn’t handle a box but I would think the Remington’s were “new”.

John
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Shotgun shells are once again starting to fill the shelves out here in California -- after months and months of nothing. Waterfowl loads, target loads. 16 gauge pickings still pretty slim but looks like we're turning a corner.

Rifle ammo is still really hard to find in any of the most popular calibers -- a little worrisome particularly as big game seasons draw closer.