16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester 16 Gauge Steel 6s
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Good news for those of us looking to take our 16 gauges out in the dove/quail/rabbit fields where nontoxic shot is required.

Winchester Steel 6 shot in 16 gauge seems like just the ticket. Sure, there are other, higher-priced, higher-performing options -- BOSS shotshells, Kent Bismuth, Hevi-Bismuth, etc. -- but those all seem like expensive overkill for high volume dove shooting and fast quail action using a modern 16 gauge that can handle steel.

Now, who knows when or where we will actually see these for sale in retail outlets but good to know they exist at least.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Super-X/WE16GT6
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:45 am  Reply with quote

It would be nice if they developed a steel shot shell for any gauge that could be fired in older thin barrels without hurting them. Until then we are stuck with the decision: Is a few ounces of dove worth a $3 shotshell?
John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:30 am  Reply with quote

I used the 12 gauge version of that load last fall for ruffed grouse. It was very effective.

culot
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:
Good news for those of us looking to take our 16 gauges out in the dove/quail/rabbit fields where nontoxic shot is required.

Winchester Steel 6 shot in 16 gauge seems like just the ticket. Sure, there are other, higher-priced, higher-performing options -- BOSS shotshells, Kent Bismuth, Hevi-Bismuth, etc. -- but those all seem like expensive overkill for high volume dove shooting and fast quail action using a modern 16 gauge that can handle steel.

Now, who knows when or where we will actually see these for sale in retail outlets but good to know they exist at least.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Super-X/WE16GT6

Hi,

Can you find Gamebore cartridges in in states ? they make for the Nordic /scandinavian market a nice 16/67mm 26gram steel :7 i use it for clay targets and speed is in the 1350fps range
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:07 am  Reply with quote

For high volume affordable non-tox, I would probably opt for a modern 16 gauge for steel. If really pressed I would use a 12 gauge.

Steel shot will never be an option in a reasonably choked, thin wall, older shotgun. The reason is the steel shot, it does not want to flow through chokes like lead or bismuth will. You cannot change that.

I hate steel shot for many reasons, but for high volume, low cost where non-tox shot is mandatory you really don't have a lot of good choices.

I hate to say this, but if I was in that situation where I had to use a lot of steel shot. I would just shoot my Beretta Onyx 12 ga.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

Winchester X-pert Steel. I feel I must address this. Most people have never opened one of these up. The shot pellets look like welding slag, basically they are industrial ballast shot instead of spherical shot.

What does this mean? Well it's a double edge sword. The lumpy pellets do not pattern as efficiently as regular steel shot, but this can be useful in fixed choke guns when a more open pattern is desired. I used to buy them as spreaders for a Beretta O/U choked mod/ imp. mod, specifically for close duck work over decoys. They were great for that. When shots were likely to be mid to long distance, I left them in the truck.

In the ruffed grouse woods, or any time close shooting is the norm in a no-tox zone, the X-pert is a viable option. Federal's Game & Target loads sell for the same price (often less) and use better shot for situations when a better load is desired. However, I don't think Federal offers those in 16 yet, even though they are available in 28 ga. I wish they would. I usually reload my own, but have bought the Federals when I'm in a hurry and they have been outstanding teal ammo in 12, 20, and 28 ga.

fourtown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:23 am  Reply with quote

FWIW

Boss shotshells are still offering their 16 ga copper plated bismuth loads for $1.35 per shell delivered to your door in 100 shot bags.

Federals website lists 16 Ga steel at $32.99 a box or $1.32 per shell.
John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Winchester X-pert Steel. I feel I must address this. Most people have never opened one of these up. The shot pellets look like welding slag, basically they are industrial ballast shot instead of spherical shot.

What does this mean? Well it's a double edge sword. The lumpy pellets do not pattern as efficiently as regular steel shot, but this can be useful in fixed choke guns when a more open pattern is desired. I used to buy them as spreaders for a Beretta O/U choked mod/ imp. mod, specifically for close duck work over decoys. They were great for that. When shots were likely to be mid to long distance, I left them in the truck.

In the ruffed grouse woods, or any time close shooting is the norm in a no-tox zone, the X-pert is a viable option. Federal's Game & Target loads sell for the same price (often less) and use better shot for situations when a better load is desired. However, I don't think Federal offers those in 16 yet, even though they are available in 28 ga. I wish they would. I usually reload my own, but have bought the Federals when I'm in a hurry and they have been outstanding teal ammo in 12, 20, and 28 ga.

My experiences with both Winchester X-pert Steel and Federal Upland Steel mirror this.

This past fall, I used Winchester X-pert 1 oz #6 Steel for ruffed grouse. I do wonder if it was too effective. I was shooting a 12 gauge gun, cylinder bore.

The Federal load is 1 1/8 oz. In my situation, the extra 1/8 oz of shot is definitely not needed.

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks WyoChukar ... I might do just that. Buy some 16 gauge X-pert steel 6s, if I can find them, open some up and see what the shot actually looks like, try some out of the clays range, etc.

I have never seen Federal 16 gauge steel shot offered in 6s or any other small shot besides waterfowl loads.

I have a stash of RST and BOSS 16 gauge nontoxid ammo but I don't want to blow through it on a fast and furious dove hunt opening day. For the past couple of dove seasons, I've resorted to using a 20 gauge due to the availability of 20 gauge steel shot. Steel shot doesn't really perform well in the smaller shot sizes in my opinion and the other nontoxic alternatives tend to be pricier and a little too stout for doves.