16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Upland Gun Company
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

I'm in! ... Have plenty of 16s in the safe so put in a deposit for a .410 SxS -- Venus (small gauge, scaled frame) coin finish, 29-inch barrels, double triggers. Michael McIntosh be damned (RIP Mike)!!

Will be my first .410. Not sure how much I'll hunt with it -- but who knows. Maybe take it out on a good dove shoot or on some preserve birds. Should see lots of action at clays.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:
I'm in! ... Have plenty of 16s in the safe so put in a deposit for a .410 SxS -- Venus (small gauge, scaled frame) coin finish, 29-inch barrels, double triggers. Michael McIntosh be damned (RIP Mike)!!

Will be my first .410. Not sure how much I'll hunt with it -- but who knows. Maybe take it out on a good dove shoot or on some preserve birds. Should see lots of action at clays.

Glad to see someone else testing the waters on these guns. A .410 SXS is a fun gun to shoot and surprisingly effective on preserve quail using the 3" Winchester 3/4 oz of 7 1/2 shot factory loads. A few years ago I took my CZ Ringneck down to a preserve hunt in Alabama and put it into the rotation for a few hunts on quail. It ended up all my buddies wanted to borrow the gun when I wasn't shooting it and they all came back with huge grins on their faces and vowing to get a .410 SXS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your gun as much as I have that Ringneck.

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Good to hear. Thanks, Riflemeister! Since I'm not dependent on this shotgun for any upcoming hunts, I can be somewhat patient on build time. With that said, it would be ideal to get the gun sometime by next summer to enjoy off-season clays with it.
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

My story is that I wanted a 16ga sporting gun just because i love the gauge. I was about to fire down on a Rizzini Comp 16 when i learned about this new outfit making guns to spec. After doing some research i decided to give them a try. The thing that swayed me was that they will build the stock to spec. As it turned out the long lead time to delivery (they take the entire month of August off) gave me time to get a true gun fit by Chris Batha. That's for another post but the short story is that i was able to build a gun almost completely to spec...including 32" barrels (not listed on their website), customer stock specs and other nice touches like my initials etc. They even offer special scroll and engraving that's not on their website! My total in is still way less than 5k which i think is a bargain considering what i think i'm getting. Of course i don't really know what i'm going to get but fbased on what i've read it should be pretty sweet. All through the process i've dealt with some really nice folks who answer their phones and their emails. So far i'm sold...of course you'd expect that since i'm drinking the kool-aid. The sad part of the story is that i'm going to have to wait another 3-4 months to find out if i got took Shocked

Just my experience so far for anyone considering taking the plunge.

Orwell

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Harry, looking forward to seeing and hearing about it. It will be a unique 16, and I'm betting you will like it. I thoroughly enjoyed shooting my Comp 16 at the club this summer. The guys liked it. The choke tubes I ran were .011 &.021 and my 7/8 oz loads would reliably break any target on the course when I pointed right. I put it away at the end of August and I'm getting back in sync with my SxS's for the hunting season.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Just got an E-Mail from Jerry Havel of Upland Gun Company forwarding a msg from RFM Armi revealing the delay on my gun is the proof house had a mishap and destroyed the frame and barrels. Expecting a call today from Jerry to discuss this situation and options available. Been a bad month for me, first found out the hard way that my year old GSP couldn't swim, and now my new 16 ga SXS has been destroyed through some screw up at the proof house. At least I got my dog swimming before hunting season, but I'll consider myself lucky if I shoot a bird with my new gun this year.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Here is the RFM message Jerry forwarded to me. All I can think is "Why Me?"

Dearest Jerry

I am truly mortified to inform you that unfortunately I cannot ship our dear customer Rex's rifle....
The test bench, ( Banco of Proof) don't know how it could happen, made his gun fall from a not indifferent height, ruining both barrel and frame.
It 's useless to tell you how much disappointment, anger we are feeling for this, ... but unfortunately it happened and we can not do anything, because as you know, I can not even retaliate on them, they are Government and not responsible for the damage they can cause for incompetence.
Give Rex all our sincere apologies, we have already put into production his new weapon, which will have an eye on all other orders we have in production.
I know it's not much, but if he would like, we would like to give him like a present his initials in gold on the trigger guard.
With affection
Maurizio, Sitti and Team RFMR.F.M. Armi

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Wow! Tough break, RM.
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:10 am  Reply with quote

Youve waited so long and then this?? Sorry Rolling Eyes

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Wow! Very sorry to hear this Riflemeister. I might stick with this whole project -- sounds like they are going to pay very special attention to the rebuild and you may end up with something very, very special.

The gold initials are great, I think. I paid extra to get those on my .410.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister, so sad to hear this !
Words fail me.
Mike
df
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

I don’t have a SXS 410, but a Rem 1100 and Beretta O/U, both are a blast for dove shooting. The doves and a 410 will humble you.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:01 am  Reply with quote

If I decide to go with the gold initials offer, I'd like to get the opinion of y'all about what to put on there. First option is no gold initials because I intentionally ordered the options that made this gun a hunting gun and other than the 2 1/2 grade wood upgrade, avoided trying to make it too fancy. Second option is just the "MRR" of my given names. Third option is my middle name, "REX", that I've gone by my whole life. Last option would be a plain "R".

I've had quite a few SXS's custom built, but have never gone for the initial plates or other features along those lines. I do like a gun to look nice and love pretty wood, but want the grain flow to be laid out properly through the head of the stock above all else. If this gun does turn out to be an elegant example of the gun maker's craft, it will likely go to Feland's for one of his leather covered pads, so I'm not completely adverse to making the gun look good as well as working well for me.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:39 am  Reply with quote

I say "Rex!" It's not too formal and it's in keeping with your goal of not too fancy.