16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Upland Gun Company
Dstar
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Looking forward to the pictures.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Here are some pictures.

The overall look and handling of this 6 pound 3 ounce gun really looks like it's going to work well. Dimensions are right on what I ordered.

The 20 ga frame does a nice job of slimming down the gun's profile.

The engraving of the RFM on the side is a nice touch.

The safety has a raised portion to push against just forward of the checkering.

My bonus gold filled initials on the trigger guard.

Now the ugly. It appears that a final coat of finished was slopped on hastily resulting in the checkering being filled to the point of being nearly useless. There were many spots where the final coat missed entirely or was so thin it barely covered.

The worst place on the forend where a thumb sized area has no final finish at all. I really don't understand how this gun made it out of the shop at all in this condition.

Dstar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like what I would have ordered.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

An interesting feature is the single nonselective trigger that has two separate blades that go into the action. I'm trying to resist pulling the gun apart to see how they designed the mechanical trigger. It seems to work well though.

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the photos Riflemeister -- and congrats on what looks to be a fine 16 gauge. I too ordered the coin finish and the gold initials on my .410 so it was good to see those images. Wishing you many years of enjoyment with your new 16!!
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

I was getting an order to Briley for a couple more chokes for the gun and noticed my original post after receiving the gun, I listed the bores as .678" when they are both actually .668". The chokes that came with the gun were Cyl, IC, Mod, IMod and Full. I am ordering a Skeet and Light Mod to be made by Briley, Unfortunately they are saying 10 to 14 weeks for custom made chokes, so no field trialing or preserve quail this year with my new gun. It will definitely be in the lineup when I load up the dogs and my trailer and head west next fall. Most of my shooting out west is done with Light Mod and IMod in my guns for those wild birds.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

Shame about the finish. Have you contacted them about it?
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
An interesting feature is the single nonselective trigger that has two separate blades that go into the action. I'm trying to resist pulling the gun apart to see how they designed the mechanical trigger. It seems to work well though.

That is consistent IME with other Italian guns, inertial or mechanical. Double blades in the action even with a single trigger.

Selective or non selective does not matter to me so much anymore. Not that I ever used a selective trigger in the field to good effect. Or a double trigger based on distance of the bird for that matter. Shoot what you got works for me. Waiting for a grouse charging you to get close then shooting and then turning around to shoot him with the tighter choke if you misss... going away works, As long as you have the discipline.

Good to know that it is nonselective thanks for that missed it. All 3 of my Dickinson plantation target guns are nonselective and took me awhile to mentally adjust to them and just screw in LM (or .018) for both bbls. and call it a day on clays. I rather like it now much better than over thinking which choke to use.

All of my single trigger guns are inertial so how did they do it with mechanical triggers? Never mind LOL but eventually you will not be able to resist looking is my thought Smile
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

nj gsp wrote:

I texted Jerry Havel immediately and he responded by offering me a $500 refund to cover the cost of redoing the stock finish. He also requested photos so he could get with RFM and resolve this issue immediately. When Mark DeHaan was importing Huglu guns early on he had to reject an entire shipment of guns, so this importing of guns being made overseas can be problematic. I am going to do a rudimentary sand out the rough areas and blend in a Truoil touch up to at least get some use out of the gun this season. If the gun proves to work as good as the rest of the gun looks, I'll likely do a complete strip and refinish this summer.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

That is consistent IME with other Italian guns, inertial or mechanical. Double blades in the action even with a single trigger.

Selective or non selective does not matter to me so much anymore. Not that I ever used a selective trigger in the field to good effect. Or a double trigger based on distance of the bird for that matter. Shoot what you got works for me. Waiting for a grouse charging you to get close then shooting and then turning around to shoot him with the tighter choke if you misss... going away works, As long as you have the discipline.

Good to know that it is nonselective thanks for that missed it. All 3 of my Dickinson plantation target guns are nonselective and took me awhile to mentally adjust to them and just screw in LM (or .018) for both bbls. and call it a day on clays. I rather like it now much better than over thinking which choke to use.

All of my single trigger guns are inertial so how did they do it with mechanical triggers? Never mind LOL but eventually you will not be able to resist looking is my thought Smile

I may be using the wrong terminology, but I've always understood the inertia triggers require the recoil of the gun to reset the trigger for the second barrel, and mechanical triggers use just the tripping of the first sear on the first barrel and the release of the trigger to mechanically shift to the second barrel. The way most mechanical trigger guns work is the trigger blade is shifted by some block or rocker to bear on the second sear when the first sear is tripped. I actually prefer the mechanical trigger guns as I've been caught too many times with a delayed flush where I'm caught with the gun broken to reload the right barrel and up comes the rest of the covey, I slam the gun closed and click through the first barrel and then nothing. Mechanical trigger in that scenario, it is click, bang.

Lewis295
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
nj gsp wrote:

I texted Jerry Havel immediately and he responded by offering me a $500 refund to cover the cost of redoing the stock finish. He also requested photos so he could get with RFM and resolve this issue immediately. When Mark DeHaan was importing Huglu guns early on he had to reject an entire shipment of guns, so this importing of guns being made overseas can be problematic. I am going to do a rudimentary sand out the rough areas and blend in a Truoil touch up to at least get some use out of the gun this season. If the gun proves to work as good as the rest of the gun looks, I'll likely do a complete strip and refinish this summer.

I'm glad they are making things right for you. I've been eyeing these for a bit and might have to order one someday
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
nj gsp wrote:

That's great, good to hear.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

The two-slotted trigger plate enables them to build it with either DT or ST. Some older Beretta O/U's were like that, maybe some newer ones. I have a 686 with a different arrangement. The trigger plate is designed to be used for DT or ST arrangements, but has one big wide slot. My 686 happens to be DT, with the triggers one in front of the other rather than side by side. This means they don't pivot on the same axis. Instead, they pivot on individual axes just in front of each trigger. The triggers feel quite different that way from typical DT's which pivot on just one axis way up front. My guess is Beretta did this to make the triggers ambidextrous with fewer parts. It's a compromise.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:49 am  Reply with quote

It's been over a month since Riflemeister received his Upland Gun Company 16 gauge. Curious, how does it shoot? What's your impressions one month in?

What about jbusch720? Did your new Upland Gun Company shotgun arrive yet? How do you like it?

How about Harry_Orwell? Did your UGC clays gun arrive?

I myself am more than 6 months into a UGC .410 build. No updates or communication from UGC since placing my initial order. Not really in a rush so not too worried about it, but do hope to get it in time to enjoy summer clays with it.

Anybody else besides Riflemeister, jbsusch720, Harry_Orwell, and myself take the Upland Gun Company plunge?
Dstar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:28 am  Reply with quote

I have a 20 ga O/U that should arrive in the March shipment. I additionally had a replacement stock and forearm made for my Franchi SL 16 ga. That should be with me in a week or so. I will provide pictures and feedback on both.