16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Brag- Merkel Combo set THREE more 16ga barrels !!!
casebro
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

1931, O/U, One barrel set 16& 16, the other 16 over 8jr. All full. All numbered,matching. Claw mount Carl Zeiss 4x w/ leather case. Lightly hand engraved. Bottom barrel set trigger, Greener/Kirsten double cross bolt. Cocked indicators.
It works, I shot a couple stations of Clays yesterday.

Anybody got a few shells? It's a 8mm Mauser rimmed, but the early bullets were .318. I'll take empties, looks like a 8x57 die works with a different shell holder, polish down the sizing ball, re-size bullets. Originals were 196gr, 2400 fps, 2500 ft/lbs.

Oops, FOUR more 16 ga barrels, it came with an 870, looks new, possibly '50s.

[img]https://photos.imageevent.com/bigchriscase/misc/websize/20210602_122516_resized.jpg [/img]

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
casebro
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

[img]https://photos.imageevent.com/bigchriscase/misc/websize/20210602_122811_resized.jpg
[/img]https://photos.imageevent.com/bigchriscase/misc/websize/20210602_122516_resized.jpg

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
casebro
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:

Wahd I. dorong? (Dudley's cousin Very Happy ) Is there a daily limit of megs? I'm in California, but I didn't think the Large Megazine Ban counted on the net. Very Happy

Carlos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

casebro wrote:
1931, O/U, One barrel set 16& 16, the other 16 over 8jr. All full. All numbered,matching. Claw mount Carl Zeiss 4x w/ leather case. Lightly hand engraved. Bottom barrel set trigger, Greener/Kirsten double cross bolt. Cocked indicators.
It works, I shot a couple stations of Clays yesterday.

Anybody got a few shells? It's a 8mm Mauser rimmed, but the early bullets were .318. I'll take empties, looks like a 8x57 die works with a different shell holder, polish down the sizing ball, re-size bullets. Originals were 196gr, 2400 fps, 2500 ft/lbs.

Oops, FOUR more 16 ga barrels, it came with an 870, looks new, possibly '50s.

[img]https://photos.imageevent.com/bigchriscase/misc/websize/20210602_122516_resized.jpg [/img]

I think you will have to locate some proper cases. The rims are thinner than the 7 x 57R so that case conversion has to be approached with extreme care!
Carlos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I am ENVIOUS!

Ammo? No stock; https://www.luckygunner.com/rifle/8x57mm-jr-rimmed-mauser-ammo

Norma or Sellier & Bellot are good choices if available. Privi Partisan should catalogue them. Sorry. I'll bet everyone is backordered?

7 x 57R has a different rim thickness so makes a case-conversion a bit dodgy.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

You did not get a [/img] in the correct location

All else is GOOD

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Casebro,
There are two versions of the 8X57R: the JR and the JRS. Sellier & Bellot sells both. The JR loads are mild for use in early Mausers, but the S&B JRS loads are very impressive and capable for very large game in North America. If the gun is 1931, it is likely a JRS as the German Army adopted the JRS some time around WWI or shortly thereafter.

I acquired a 8x57R combo gun that was unmarked, and my own various measurements and slugging attempts yielded inconclusive results whether it was a JR or JRS. I eventually took it to a gunsmith who conclusively established by casting that it was a JRS. I kept the papers as documentation for the gun. Lacking a professional evaluation, you may want to stick with the JR loads however.
B.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

NOW this is RIDICULOUS

https://www.bigcountrysportinggoods.com/sellier-bellot-ammunition-case-of-20-rifle-8x57jr-196gr-sp-20rd-bx-sb857jra/

Mike

p.s. or is it for TWENTY 20 round boxes??

Big Country Sporting Goods is located and owned by Escondido PowerSports located at:

Escondido PowerSports
632 Aero Way , Escondido
CA - 92029, US

442 Miles away, only a field trip in Texas Smile

casebro
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

More info on gun: I It is 200E, looks like I have to remove a couple little stop screws to allow ejectors to snap out all the way. Merkel sent me a copy of the 90 year old line card, it is 16x65.(but I've already shot Fiocchi 2 3/4) They did some personal engraving, I want to know what it means. The line card had surnames only, the gun has given names too. The people must have been known to Merkel.

Ammo: It IS marked 8JR. I bought 8x57 dies from eBay. A friend gave me a 7.92x57 Mauser round, I will pull the bullet, remove the neck sizing ball from the die, size the case to make sure it swages down past .318 ID.

Grafs has 8rjs cases, Priza-Pas(?) $40/100. Buffalo has several .318 bullets, 100/ $85delivered. 44 mag shell holder (.010 tight) might work,or make/modify something. I'll have to 'erase' the S in 8JRS on the cases- milling machine? die grinder? Overstamp with X or 4? So no body thinks 8JRS is good for it. Looks like about $180 to see if the 4th barrel works too....

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

CASEBRO
I found a couple boxes of once fired S&B 8x57JR cases in the cabinet, PM me if you want them.

B.
casebro
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
CASEBRO
I found a couple boxes of once fired S&B 8x57JR cases in the cabinet, PM me if you want them.

B.

PM'd

Carlos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
NOW this is RIDICULOUS

https://www.bigcountrysportinggoods.com/sellier-bellot-ammunition-case-of-20-rifle-8x57jr-196gr-sp-20rd-bx-sb857jra/

Mike

Big Country Sporting Goods is located and owned by Escondido PowerSports located at:

Escondido PowerSports
632 Aero Way , Escondido
CA - 92029, US

The rimlless version is $35 per 20. tradeexcanada.com has a few brass @ $1 CAD ea. not sure if you can access them
Carlos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
NOW this is RIDICULOUS

Mike

Escondido PowerSports
632 Aero Way , Escondido
CA - 92029, US

The rimlless version is $35 per 20. tradeexcanada.com has a few brass @ $1 CAD ea. not sure if you can access them
casebro
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
NOW this is RIDICULOUS

Mike

Escondido PowerSports
632 Aero Way , Escondido
CA - 92029, US

Escondido is only 30 miles for me.Alas, the web says "Permanently closed". It figures. Power Sports has 12 locations, dunno about the other 11.