16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Brag- Merkel Combo set THREE more 16ga barrels !!!
casebro
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Heavier bullet for the 8x57IR
I use 196

4064 is a more suitable powder for that gun.

Should put you in center

Mike

Weeelllll, unless the greater recoil lifts the barrel before the bullet gets out,...

OUCH! a thought just struck me... The knob is limited to one turn. For use on Mauser sniper rifles, that is enough for 0-1,000m. The outer ring, where mine has one mark, has numbers up to 1,000 on those. So, with the limitation of one turn, the mount elevation has to be dead on. Too precise for mass produced military weapons. ....unless the two screws allow some kind of excess/rough dialing it in? Something like: Remove knob and ring, sight it in at 100, re-install knob and ring w/ 100at 5:00. Do that whenever you change loads, like 170 to 220gr?

Anybody have a WWII Wermacht sniper manual?

eta: I did find a bit calling what I need "range adjustment". But not a how-to. And my reticule is high in the scope picture. If a 'range adjustment' brought it down to center, I'd be in the ball park.

[/img]

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
casebro
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Casbro,you big ignoranus. RTFM. Embarassed
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/ths-is-for-you-solman-bcd-45-lsr-range-report-and-zf39-adjustment-tutorial.236919/

But it did take me hours to find that how-to.

The big knob is FOCUS. Elevation is the OUTER RING. You big dummy.

The elevation moves the reticle, +/- 25%. And yes, there is an adjustment for the range of elevation. Probably not necessary since I don't have any markings on my elevation ring. And also the extreme near end of focus range is ten feet.

No Makita needed. Very Happy

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
casebro
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

casebro wrote:
Got it to the rifle range. 170 gr, spbt, 41.6gr 3031, 2546fps (QL data)

Cranked all the way up, it hit 18" low at 100y.

The 170 has about.090 jump, I suspect the gun is set up for 220gr round nose. But 18" low ?

Any input before I take the Makita to the claw mounts? Very Happy

eta: NUTTs: My scope serial number 64942, looks later. I'm not finding mfg date look-up, but Herman Goering's Merkel 201e w/ 3 barrel sets line card from1933 shows the gun serial # 5,000 higher than my 1932, and his scope is numbered 20,000 lower.(amazing what is on the net) IE, my scope is 20,000 later than 1933. So,scope is fitted to a different gun?

Addendum to the above range report: Ammo barely seated. The PPU virgin brass fell in, same for S&B virgin ammo. But the gun barely closed on the resized S&B, some wouldn't go in at all. Pulled the bullets, resized with the dies all the way down plus. Now they fit,barely. A bit of cogitating,download CIP (the Euro SAAAMI) drawings. More consternation. OOookay. Seems that the larger neck of the 'S' .323" type uses a different taper,to get the top of the shoulder to the same length from base as the smaller .318 J type. Looks to be .2mm, .008" longer to wide part of the shoulder. So the usual 8x57 dies are not quite right. Probably OK in a sloppy chamber? I guess I'll trim ummm, .006" off my shell holder ?

I'm using a #26 RCBS holder. It measures .125 deep. Can anybody measure a .444 holder for me?

casebro
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

'Nuther range report: With the scope index marks lined center of groups is an inch or so low at 100yards. 2 groups of ten, 19 into the paper plates. Throw out a couple more flyers, groups were 2"wide, 4-5" tall.I t looks like 2 moa is doable. Maybe tighter w/ the 196gr round noses, less bullet jump ?

And it's NOT a target scope. The German #1 reticle is for Minute of Soldier. Well within that with this load.