16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Russell boots service
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone sent any of Russells boots in for service lately? My Birdshooters could use new soles and wondering if people are satisfied with Russells work these days.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have had several pairs of boots and shoes resoled and other repairs by Russells but none within the last four years. so there may have been changes but none that I have heard of- I am quite satisfied with the service that I've received from them for 25 years, not counting anything that has happened in the last four.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

About two years ago I sent my boots for service. Upon arrival the repair person contacted me to confirm what I wanted done. Gave me a few suggestions based on what I was looking to accomplish. Boots came back looking and feeling good.
1stgun
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered and received a new pair last year, pre-pandemic, with normal quality job. Have not had to have anything redone lately.

I'm fairly certain that their workforce was in an much flux as other places but not sure how the pandemic affected that part of WI.

Regards,
Chuck

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:26 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Russell is a great company, my father purchased a pair of back 40 Grouse boots for me when I graduated from high school long ago. A while back not knowing the boots were guaranteed for life my beautiful wife thru the boots out because the souls were worn badly, and I had fallen and cracked/broken 6 ribs in them on a Grouse hunting trip. Needles to say I do not have another pair of Russell boots, never came up with the money to purchase new ones, double gun purchases always seemed to get in the way.

I loved my Russell boots still want another pair.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
stevesavage
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Russels are unbeatable. I like the 15 inch tops and especially the Munson last.
robp
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Check recent reviews.
I sure they could accomplish any repair There are also other cobblers who could do it as well.Georges in St. Paul on Grand ave could do a resole perfectly.
New boots may be another story. I sent my south 40s back 3 times for them to get them right each time i payed shipping btw I was measure at pf fest by the owner.
They never fit not even close . Finally i brought them back to another pf fest and showed them to the owner. He took them back and sent me another pair They didn't fit either but were close. I called and sent those back I finally got a pair of boots that work but not perfect. Custom boots should fit end of story . Besides not fitting the stitching was all over the place the mid soles and sole ground uneven. The sole stuck out the back one inch on the left boot and was ground correct on the left . The first 2 pairs looked horrible
It was ridiculous to wait 5 years for a pair of boots and they are still a little short
It's not like I have special feet just about any pair of 11ds work I can buy danners, redwings crispis ll bead boots off the shelf and they fit the stitching straight and the soles ground even
I'm not the only one lots of reviews like this these days very sad.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

No repair work done for me. But I’ll kind of echo the above response. I ordered a pair of the Signature South 40s. Only thing special was the tracing of my feet, otherwise no adders. Received the boots and the sole wasn’t the one they advertise on the boot. I start looking at the website and they gave me a $15 (or so?) upgraded comfort sole that I didn’t ask for. Basically smooth with no tread. Not sure if I should be happy with the upgrade or bad at them not making the boot to spec.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I walk in, tell them what I want, and BS with the shop manager while the fix them, no worries. I think that the main reason that folks get disappointed in a purchase there is that they don’t understand that the fit is exacting; you literally have to wear the same socks that you will wear when you are measured. The third time I bought a pair I had to wear and wash my sock choice an appropriate amount of times in order to make sure I had good fit. I had also learned that it’s best to measure your feet (in those socks) after a good walk after lunch so that my mildly swollen feet would be the worse-cased scenario for fit. That’s how custom the fit is. If you are unwilling to do the work to get it right, don’t bother.

Reno

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Had a pair resoled by them last fall, no issues.

I love my various Russells.

Last edited by Old colonel2 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Repeat post deleted

Last edited by Old colonel2 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

I love mine.

[url=https://imgur.com/pzdDLWR] [/url]

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Two pair; 8" and snake boots. Fitted by ranking Russell employee at their booth at a local event. First pair fine. Snake boots a disaster. Gil
stevesavage
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 am  Reply with quote

I have about a dozen pairs of Russell boots and shoes. All repair service has been good and on time. Just allow enough time. I don’t expect their handmade boots to have machine like precision. Russell’s are about all I wear.
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:32 am  Reply with quote

I ordered a pair of shoes for work back in early march. I have had one phone call back in July, where they needed to change the leather from standard, due to supply chain issues. Figured that would mean I'd be getting something soon. Nothing since, so guess I need to call them and see what's up.