16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SD Pheasant Report Late June 2021
Purple16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:50 am  Reply with quote

I just returned from fishing in SD.

The weather has been hot and dry but some of the corn is 2 feet high and the sunflowers have a good start.

Some of the wheat wasn't making grain so they cut and baled it for hay. Other wheat has headed out and will make a crop.

We saw lots of pheasant everywhere we drove. I even saw a couple large broods of chicks I'd say over 10 which is super.

Saw several vehicle hit pheasants which is to bad but it indicated there art lots of birds in the area.

I have high hopes for another great pheasant season!

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Bobby, thanks for the report. Fingers eternally crossed!
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

I hunt SD each year with a few other retired Navy Guys. The Admiral and Cdr. just left the house last week after spending a couple of weeks there and said the same thing. It is in NC SD about an hour East of the River on the ND border.

The next 6 weeks or so are critical, and some rain will be a make or break deal

Time will tell, mother nature is a fickle one.

After years of renting a house each year about 6 years ago the Admiral ended up buying a house there. He will not allow us to give him money but will take gifts. What the heck do you get a 2 Star (Upper Half) Admiral for a gift?! First year gave him my kitchen table that my sons grew up with after they said they didn't want it.

Steve told me last week he is afraid that he will not be able to get his RST 7/8 oz. 16 ga. shells in time for grouse and woodcock season this year. So told him I'd load up a case for him, that will be his gift this year. Started to put them in a ziplock bag like I do for myself then realized that lacks a lot in the presentation department. Can't be giving a 2 Star 16 ga. shells in a ziplock baggie LOL. Just got my order of white 16 ga. boxes in from Precision Reloading so time to go back to pulling the handle on the 16 ga. 9000.

Lots of bird numbers or a "bad" year it is always worth it in SD. Still the greatest show on earth as far as I am concerned. Especially with good friends.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
What the heck do you get a 2 Star (Upper Half) Admiral for a gift?! First year gave him my kitchen table that my sons grew up with after they said they didn't want it.

You could give him the chairs to go with the table. Wink

Candlesticks always make a nice present. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diX4myfR6vU Razz

Or, you could get him special food or drink. Candy, cookies, coffee, stuff like that that he likes.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

Hopefully RST will be back making shells before he needs them, making him some shells is a nice idea, he will not care how they are packaged!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
JoJer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps a new shell belt or carrier?
JoJer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps a new shell belt or carrier?
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

Great report. FWIW; The Naval commanders I've known (WW2, K & VN) could give a damn about glitzy presentation and appreciate function over form. I'm reasonably certain He'll appreciate the effort of a batch of shells purpose built for the intended purpose.

PM me if you need help with components.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer putz463. I was able to pull it off with what I have but did put a dent in my stash of DR16 wads.

100 15.5 gr. GD with 7/8 oz. of #8 for SC
100 15.5 gr. GD with 7/8 oz. of #9 for skeet
330 17.2 gr. GD with 7/8 oz. #7.5 for woodcock and grouse in Wi. Told him if he uses them all up this year I am going to start hunting Wi. instead of Mn. for grouse and woodcock LOL.

I did get some of the 16 ga. white boxes from BPI and printed up stickers for them with my laser printer. Used name tag labels and they fit the 16 ga. boxes perfectly

I leave Sunday for 3 weeks in a cabin on the North Shore grouse hunting. Have narrowed it down to which 3 16ga. guns I am taking this year. Not sure I will be making it to SD though. Emails just came in tongiht from him and a friend saying there are good numbers of phez around the house and town in North Central SD despite the drought. Tempting, maybe I should really retire for good finally....