16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bad time to be in the reloading ammo business.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:09 am  Reply with quote

Looking at most of the retailers in this sport I don't see hardly any hanging on much longer. Which is the intent of this Marxist administration. Don't want to get in the political aspect of the time but by people burying their head in the sand is the very reason our rights are being whittled away. By not recognizing the problem does not make it go away. I am good on supplies for the sport for the reason if we go thru the Obammy years again. I was well supplied those years also. I can't say don't get caught with your pants down but it's look like that is what happened.
Looks like the eastern & norther states will finish off our freedom either thru corruption at the election or just plain ignoring our laws. Either way things will be gone because of heads in the sand the leaves to many asses in the air.
Just spouting off because their isn't much else to discuss about the shooting sport anymore. Bill
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:57 am  Reply with quote

hammer bill: I'm gonna disagree with you here on some things. I think they all have their heads in the sand, but this stuff will pass , like before. I know at my range there are so many new shooters, including woman, that I haven't seen before. Now they don't reload and that may be becoming a thing of the past, but not for me. The 2nd amendment has stood up in the past and will again. When they figure out that the fix is in training and education, maybe we will get somewhere.
I watched a deal on Remington last night on the outdoor channel, very interesting, but I had no idea how covid really effected them. The CEO was saying not only was their no one to make ammo , but they had to get back inline to get the components needed to make the stuff. All this stuff effects lead times and production, which effects the products on the shelf for us. According to him, and Vista, who has agreed to let the ammo side of Remington ramp up production like never before. Now with that said, there will be a price increase, and some will not wanna pay that, but for the most part, everything is going up. I can remember gas just about a year ago was $1.30, Now its $2.75 here in Texas.
So lets remain positive, may or may not work, but most of us are good enough to survive the drought. Most of the stuff is still out there, just have to look a little harder and be willing to pay more. The paying more part has a limit for me, but that limit goes up if I'm totally out, even that I don't like it and think its BS
df
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:22 am  Reply with quote

I bought SG16 ga wads at Ballistic Products earlier this week. Was at LGS store Tuesday, they had 8-10 mostly rifle powders for sale, and some Longshot powder. Prices $30-40 per pound.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Lots of things seem ominous these days. The media likes to scare the pants off of you to get your attention and hold it. Clearly, the outcome of the last election was deeply troubling and the effect on the shooting and reloading industry has been dramatic. COVID has magnified those effects as well, and that drum is still being beaten by lots of folks on the Left. You can choose to sit and fret over these things (& make yourself miserable!) or you can get more involved politically. The third option is to get on with things. If you're an "old guy" (which I now seem to be) that means that your time is running just a bit short. Accordingly, I choose to now ignore the stuff that I can't do much about and focus on the things that I can control.

There's an old expression...."Living well is the best revenge" and I intend to do just that. My plan is to look after those who are near and dear to me, to identify and stabilize my important relationships, and to enjoy the time that I have left. That means (at least to me) doing everything I can on the home-front to make it as good as I can, and then, (after that is as good as I can possibly make it)... planning for and then spending as much time afield as is reasonably possible, with rod & gun in hand. The ammo is starting to trickle back in here, (at-least enough to allow for some more-regular shooting) & the bird seasons are now only 60-plus days out. The dog and I are walking as much as possible, I'm working in the yard to get everything pretty (another form of physical exercise) and I'm now looking forward to another season afield. I'm going to make every day count, where I can.

707PS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd 3
Amen

John
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:56 am  Reply with quote

I would offer this. It's easy to get discouraged -- I'm guilty of it myself sometimes. Reality check: There are millions of new shooters and gun owners now in the U.S., -- which is contributing in no small part to the ammo shortage. Some of these new shooters and gun owners will take up reloading at some point.

Where I live in California, hunting license sales are up for the first time in many, many years, reversing years of decline. COVID-19 brought a lot of new shooters and hunters to our sports.

The Obama years?

Those were some of the best ever for the firearms and ammo industries. I often remarked that every firearms and ammo company in the U.S. ought to have a framed photo of President Obama in their boardrooms given how much sales skyrocketed under his presidency. Granted, many of those sales were driven by fear, but the results cannot be denied....
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Id's difficult to read Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and realize that the person now holding Lincoln's office has spoken implied threats that he will use nuclear weapons on the country and its citizens. It does cause one to wonder how it will all end.
BWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the current administration and associates are concentrating on guns.
The real problem is the white collar crime that is rampant in the White House itself as well as their cronies. This abuse affects a lot more people than the gun violence.
That is not to say I don't have compassion for the people and families of the victims of some senseless crazed person that committed those terrible acts. It is just a way to deflect the attention from Biden's son goes to China, comes home a millionaire and gets 50,000 a month. Nice gig if you can get it!
As gun owners we are rolled into the white supremacy and proud boys category Living in Idaho, we are looked at as hunters and normal people, but our neighbor state to the West view us as radical gun guys.
Hopefully somehow can paint the liberals a picture that explains the differences between a sportsman and an anarchistic
Sorry for the rant.

Bob
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

What Lloyd said. And, Lloyd, if you ever want to move on from that Jeffrey 16ga, let me know.

More to the point, I spent half the day today at a presentation at a state-run range, one of 2 in Maine. The RSO in charge and I are acquainted from working on Pittman-Robertson grants for my gun club some years back. He was telling me, he gets a good 30 or more calls/emails on his phone every day asking information (are you open, hours, range rules). That's all stuff on the IFW website (that they either didn't look up or couldn't understand). Every day. These are shooters - old and new - who want to use the range. They have 20 lanes on this range and he says weekends they are all full, all day long.

8 million first-time gun buyers in the last year. We need to be reaching out to them, to educate them. Not only on how to shoot safely and accurately, but also explaining to them the ins and outs of the legalities. And the propaganda that gets spewed in the media and when and why and how it's false. We here - look at the date you joined the site - have all been involved in shooting for years and understand this, having picked it up one day at a time over all those years.

What I just said does not mean to try to feed them all your knowledge in one fell swoop. Trying that will turn almost everyone off. But straight, objective answers to straight questions - which can include saying something like "this can get really deep into the weeds" - are what they deserve. Bring them along slowly but bring them along.

The same obtains for reloading. They might casually ask something about reloading. Don't go directly into the intricacies of why a Game King is superior to a Core-Lokt, or how you shouldn't rely on some powder or whatever. Listen to what they ask and give a straight answer. It might be something as simple as "what is all this about reloading?" or "can you save money with reloading?" (yes, but not as much today as in times gone by. But on some calibers you can save a lot.) or "is reloading really safe?" (yes, if you read up on it first to understand what you're going to do, follow the rules closely, pay attention to what you're doing and follow established recipes, at least when you start.). Not everyone is going to reload, just like some hunters take 10 years to go through a box of shells. (A friend bought a 95+% model 94, born circa 1952, which came with the one box of shells the prior owner had bought with it. That guy had used 5 of the shells. He still considered himself a hunter.)

These folks are all on our team - provided we welcome them and don't alienate them.

bruski
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

I hesitate to point this out but ammunition shortages appear to be a localized
issue as where I am (overseas) there is no shortage and I can go buy what I want. It could be that 8 million new gun owners and people panic buying are the root of the problem.