16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A Cautionary Tale
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Been down to the cabin quite a bit lately - LOTS of rain ! (just south of Bath Dave ). On a semi mtn. top . 2am saw an opp for a P** and did . skies had totally cleared ! Stars were as big as light bulbs ! Milky Way big as the road . Couldn't sleep . Pondered the stars . Veered off some . Atoms are mini solar sys , combine to form matter . Solar sys like an atom , - helps form our Galaxy ! Galaxy is an electron in the Universe - you see where this is going !? ..... Is there life on an electron !? ..... Bear hanging around cabin this week - both eves ! Hung out and fell asleep at the bird feeder for a few hrs nite b4 last . Was making wifey quite nervous about an outhouse visit ! Went ok when time .... Dog has been gone for a month now , not getting any easier . Need to make it to winter b4 thinking about a replacement , though I don't think it will happen Crying or Very sad .

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:10 am  Reply with quote

We sympathize with you. The ache will persist but dawn is around the corner. The neighbor up the way, enduring much the same, has his new pup. The sounds rolling down the hill are wonderful to hear - the earnest commands, the pleadings and corrections, the juvenile yipping and yapping in reply, paint a scene of light and joy. It will be coming your way too, in due time.
V/R
B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:51 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

Got to admit at times I still turn around at the log cabin thinking many of my gun dogs are just off the front porch in the forest. It's probably a feeling that will never go away, even with the new pups searching the same areas and playing around me. My time in the Grouse woods with my incredible bird dogs is precious to me. I know God only gives me a short time with my treasured animals, and I try to make the most of it. It seems every time I loose one of my treasured gun dogs, I seem to acquire a couple more Classic American double guns. Although not a good substitute, it helps my mental state.

I understand your memories, you do not replace your treasured animals, however you must move on with your life, another pup heals the loss by making new memories. For me another good L.C. Smith gun to use with my young dogs, makes new memories also. I know my missing gun dogs now hunt with my Father and Grandfather in Gods never ending forest.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

It can be tough at times...and when the dog is a treasured family member, these memories have a way of coming back indefinitely. But that is a good thing. I love Rusty dearly, but I still think of his predecessors often, and the good times we shared.

Mention of Katie came up today in conversation and while it was only brief mention of Rusty showing up at just the right moment before she passed suddenly, it still pulled at my heart pretty hard.

That said, I know how much harder her passing would have been had Rusty not been there when I needed him most. I suppose that is just one more reason I am typically a one dog man and have bonded to a breed that lives very long.

You will know when the time is right for a new chapter in the dog story, even if you don't have any idea of when it will happen. Until then, embrace the memories and continue pondering life's mysteries.