16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  ammo failures
goathoof
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

[img][/img]

Our high school trap team just finished competing in Michigan and encountered numerous shotgun ammo failures. I have not found out what brand of shells these are. I am speculating they are federals, but not sure. The team bought shells at the tournament. Has any else had such strange duds?
justchris
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I see the USA logo on the hull, I've seen some from new Winchester Team USA shells on a couple websites?
(I think part of the proceeds benefits USA Shooting Team.)
Shocked
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Those do look like Winchesters.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Had the same thing with Remington gun clubs a couple years ago. Sent them to Remington and they replaced each shell with a box of nitro 27’s. Wouldn’t mind having a few of them right now.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:47 am  Reply with quote

I've had some federal shells that separated at the top of the rim from the lower part of the rim. I learned I can tell which is pron to separate iby spinning the rim between two fingers. If the rim feels rough that are the ones likely to separate. Some I could see a fine hairline Crack at the very outer edge of the rim when it feels alittle rough. I never could figure out how to put pictures on here so everyone could see.
justchris
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Yep, Winchester USA Promo loads.
Unfortunately we'll probably see more quality control issues as they try to play catch up with the demand.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/Winchester-USA-Target-Loads-12GA-2-3-4-1oz-11800-FPS
goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Thanks all for the info. One of the girls shooting had a separation which rendered the gun inoperable during the round, and had to switch to a different gun to finish. Apparently there were many problems with this ammo.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:03 am  Reply with quote

not that I condone this sorta thing , ESPECIALLY with the kids ! However , I'd rather have these things happen when there are experienced coaches / trainers there to show the kids how to work thru these things and explain why they are hazards ! The good thing is these aren't basewad separations .

4setters
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Once upon a time one piece Win and Remmie hulls were used by a large percentage of clay bird shooters (and subsequently reloaded) and the only reason for the brass on those shells was for the ejector to have a rim to grasp. Never had one of those as above. My, how times have changed!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen this happen w/Winny Universal's
Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

So, correct me if I’m wrong. Hull separates from head, hull gets lodged in barrel, next round goes boom. That scares the hell out of me. I shoot double guns 90% of the time and always look down the bore after shooting each round so I’m not so worried there but in a pump or auto this could get ugly.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy:
I had this happen with the gun clubs in a semi. The brass head was on the ground, but the plastic hull got crushed by the bolt so part was in the ejection port and some was hanging out. It was very noticeable, and I don’t think the head would come off with the hull still in the chamber, as I believe the extractor/ejector is what pulled it off the hull. Don’t think it would cycle another round on top of the hull and let the bolt close completely with out some off sounding or feeling that you would notice.
Couple weeks ago I did see a person load some 28 gauge shells in a 20 out of a box that was marked 20. The first one went off, sounded strange, the second 28 cycled on top of the fired 28 hull that was lodged in the barrel. The bolt failed to close completely. The person shooting was stopped, as they didn’t have a clue. And was slapping the bolt handle forward. I took it apart and the 28 fired shell was lodged just about the front of the chamber. If a round sounds strange I always stop and check, even if taking it apart is required.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:38 am  Reply with quote

I’m more concerned with the hull stopping half way down the barrel after being fired, getting stuck in the forcing cone. I’ve seen several blown up 1100’s on Trapshooters Forum and some were caused by this happening. I’d be all over what ever company manufactured those shells. I never realized how violent this can be til I saw these pictures. It looked like a hand grenade went off in the chamber. Just googled blown up Remington 1100. Scary stuff. I like my break actions, oh and I’m not blaming 1100’s, it’s just that there are so many trap shooters using them you see it more often.