16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ejectors or Extractors?
gjw
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:26 am  Reply with quote

Confused Hi all and a very Merry Christmas to you all!! Just wanted to get your opinion on what you perfer for HUNTING (don't care about clays - sorry don't get mad at me!) and why? I love ejectors, but may be getting a DeHaan S2 in 16ga - so I guess I need some help here with my decision, talk me into extractors (ha, ha)

God Bless you all!!!!

Greg
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

ejectors give you the option of catching the spent shells or just letting them loose for quicker reloads...

based on my adventures with ducks, I wish I had ejectors...
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:54 am  Reply with quote

I am old, I reload, I shoot 16s almost exclusively, my shooting revolves around hunting, and i shoot clays as a substitue and practice for hunting. I have a habit of covering the breech with my right hand to catch the hulls when I open the gun. I then stick the empties in my game bag. I use the same game bag when I shoot clays - I am usually the only one at the club in an orange shooting vest with a game bag, ecollar control transmitter, and camera.

When Bobs are getting up in a staggered covey rise I cannot for the life of me let the ejectors throw the hulls on the ground. I continue to catch them and stick them in my bag. Rolling Eyes

I got in the habit of catching the hulls because I reload and the landowner of my birdlease requires me to not leave hulls on the ground - he is worried they will get caught in a cow's throat and thinks it is just generally un-tidy.

Because of the disability described above ejectors do me no good.

I shoot old shotguns. I own five Parkers - three with ejectors. The ejectors on two out of the three ejector guns have required repair by a gunsmith.

In old classic side by sides ejectors add a lot of a value. I would guess the extractors would lower the resale value on an S2.

Merry Christmas!

Mike

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Opinions from the other boards:
http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=16667&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD
http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=32253

For low gun SxS skeet and clays: extractors
For birds: ejectors, although I usually manually extract. I missed an opportunity for a double on pheasant in S. Dakota in Nov. while trying to extract with gloves on when blocking-easy to pick up the empties after the drive.
What I'd really like for Christmas would be a 16g straight grip 28" Ruger GL with choke tubes, two triggers, and easily disabled/reabled (?) ejectors Very Happy

Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have had both, but right now, all I have is ejector guns. I catch all of the shells when I am hunting with doubles. So I guess I prefer ejectors. Extractors can be difficult when hunting and wearing gloves.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

There will be times when you wish you had opted for ejectors-----namely a speedy reload or those COLD days when the weightless spent empties can't be grasped---Can't really think of a time when I had ever thought----Wish I only had an extractor Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
rpm
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

I swapped out the heavy gauge ejector springs in my Citori for 1911 firing pin springs which raise the shells enough to remove them from the chambers - obviously I've gone the route of extractors instead of the ejectors. I reload shells and it's easiers for me to yank the empty hulls out and stuff them in my vest when I miss.

Besides, this is the only gun that goes hunting w/ me and, quite frankly, I don't want the hassel of dealing with a broken ejector in the field then I would have to borrow a spare 12 ga. 870, Oh the shame!

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by rpm on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Tarkus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:19 am  Reply with quote

I hunt with a Verney Carron sbs with extractors only. I, like others here, reload and/or do not like littering the ground with spent shells so I prefer the extractors. Also, the reloading process with the extractors slows my mind down a bit so as I'm replacing the shells in the chamber I'm also taking a bit of a second to pay attention to where the singles flew off to. I've never felt I've been at a disadvantage with the extractors. Now if I was shooting in a flurry event like the SBS Classic in da UP that might be a different story.

I also have a Citori with ejectors that I use for 5 stand and hunting. I catch all the hulls at the receiver as they're ejected. The ejectors are nice but as a personal preference I like the extractors only. YMMV

Matt
Kalamazoo, MI
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Although I catch all of my hulls (and pick up those left by lazy slob hunters), I prefer ejectors for the speed when it is needed.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Like some others here, I reload, so I prefer extractors. Also, I figure fewer parts equals more reliability.
birddog
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Just the other day we were doing our best to bag a few roosters, I had just dropped one and was in the process of recharging the old double while I fumbled with cold numb clubs Mad at best just to have another fine bird jump from under my feet. Thanks to the quick shooting of my partner that day we were able to double up. All I could do was watch and laugh Laughing
There are days we will not get them all and thats fine too Wink

Charlie
scotgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Not that anyone cares, but I shoot better on driven birds with extractors. They are such a pain to reload, I am much more careful about shots attempted than when i am using a gun with ejectors. The net result, less birds and a lot less cartridges fired.
Of course the fact that the Atkins is also an underlever increases the effort.
Hold high-don't check your swing!
Scotgun
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Extractors. Slow down and enjoy Life!

Matt
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:53 pm  Reply with quote

gjw wrote:
Confused Hi all and a very Merry Christmas to you all!! Just wanted to get your opinion on what you perfer for HUNTING (don't care about clays - sorry don't get mad at me!) and why? I love ejectors, but may be getting a DeHaan S2 in 16ga - so I guess I need some help here with my decision, talk me into extractors (ha, ha)

God Bless you all!!!!

Greg

All my 16 doubles are extractor, but this new Robust (FR) is ejector, I haven't used them for so long, it'll be weird for awhile probably, but extractors suit me fine....

bless you too

duncan

james-l
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Extractors. Slow down and enjoy Life!

Matt

Matt I agree I own gun with both extractors and ejectors, I find myself catching the emptys no matter which i am using. So a bird escapes once in a while, OK more than once in a while! This is for fun, not food. Jim A.