16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Midsummer is upon us, Fall is just around the corner...
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:22 am  Reply with quote

Cool here this AM. The sunlight doesn't have that slanted/springlike effect and the greenery isn't so fresh and green anymore. In just 60 short days the annual dance will begin yet again. I've stocked up on 16-gauge hunting loads (a former associate has aged-out and hung up his double. Sad, but more for me I guess) and increased the pace and lenght of my evening walks with the dog. It won't be long now.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

I agree time to start getting ready for hunting seasons, I have purchased some Grouse and Woodcock loads for my different gauge guns, including my 16's. Unfortunately my RST and Poly SpredR shells are not available yet, many of the manufacturers are still way behind in producing shotgun shells. Having picked up another L.C. Smith 20 gauge and 2 more nice 28 gauge guns, I have been looking to purchase some more shells.

Still a might warm to get the dogs out into the woods at this point, way to buggy for sure. Pretty snakey along Pine Creek to work on water retrieving yet. Another 60 days will definitely change all that.

Fall is coming!

all the bet,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Maggie Mae waiting on Fall!

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
df
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dove opens Sept 1 in Ks and many other states. I’ll be there.
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

Early summer, I count the days to the solstice, after that I take comfort in the shortening days and the opening of dove/preserve seasons coming September 1st here.
IDcut
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:58 am  Reply with quote

I take note of the shortening of days after solstice, which translates into cooler nights and the feel of fall, which means hunting seasons are soon to follow, as I'm sure many do.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

This Fall will be very different for me now. With the passing of my FIL late last August, I'll be assuming more of the duties of running the grouse camp this year. That is bittersweet, of course, but it's something I've (albeit unknowingly) been training-for for some time now. Last year was a bit of a struggle (for all the obvious reasons) but this year should and will be very-much joyous again. The lesson in all this (at least for me) is that every Fall morning (and then day afield) is now more precious than what went before it. Made sweeter by the realization that each one is a true gift, especially for the folks who so-treasure it. I used to think that more could and should be expected, and that somewhat-callous attitude occasionally left me a bit dissatisfied at day's end. No longer. I'm now just so grateful for the gift that each foray really is. A fine gun in hand and good cover ahead is something to fully contemplate now. And...sharing it with the best of your friends and family can be the greatest part of it. This year will be good....

Murdock
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Lots to do to get ready for Fall.

Autumn reminds me each year that a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts, but rather requires that we appreciate the moment to truly have lived.

I got a bull moose permit for the Allagash region (finally), and a new ESS puppy who will be 11 months old in October. Haven't done much bird hunting since putting down my previous ESS six years ago. Hopefully the new pup will help me to age gracefully into my dotage. He's shaping up well.

Treated myself to a 20 gauge L.C. Smith Field Grade to go with my Ideal Grade 16. Ammo looks like it's coming back in stock to some degree.

[/url]

Ithaca M37 16
Krieghof Sempert Drilling 16x16/8x57
1925 Browning A5 16 CYL
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:14 am  Reply with quote

Crisp and cool here this morning. Sweats instead of shorts with coffee today. It won't be long now...

Oh, got two elk and two deer tags here now (my son is joining me this year). New beginnings.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:46 am  Reply with quote

I don't get rolling until the Wisconsin waterfowl opener, this year Oct. 2. October will be a medley of ducks and grouse. I'll get serious about pheasants starting in November and spread out to Minnesota, Iowa, and South Dakota.

That means I'll put the over and under away at the end of the month, and shoot my SxS's at sporting clays and 5-stand through September, maybe 700 rounds.

It's out there.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Double Vision,

I sure understand the late Pheasant gunning, I really do not get serious about Pheasant hunting until Grouse Season ends around Christmas time. The PGC Pheasant stocking program has actually been pretty good the last couple years and we actually have some wild born young Pheasants running round in places in Potter County, Pa now. Of course these birds act more like Grouse than Pheasants, living in the forest and taking to the trees as soon as a predator arrives. I actually like hunting them more than the field type Pheasants, nicer dog work!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve been googling fall photos lately so the itch is starting. I can’t wait for those damp dreary fall days in upstate NY. I little drizzle here and there, changing colors, that rotting leaf smell. No matter how far away I get from childhood the onset of fall still gets me. I’ve been saltwater fishing every weekend like a maniac but still find myself starting to think about fall. I’ll take it with me to my grave.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

Me too buddy, I love the change of seasons and Gods most incredible show, Potter County, Pa and Upstate Ny are pretty much the same!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Starting to get a bit excited about the up coming season, last year was really different here with covid , we didn't put out any Pheasants because we didn't know what was ahead of us and it was the right thing to do as we weren't permitted to meet up till later on in the season and even then we had to keep to hunt apart , but this year we have Pheasants out in the forest and a new Duck pond that we had a few evening flights on last season and I ended up a few weeks ago in up to my waist cutting some branches and spiky bits of trees that we were afraid a dog could get impaled on , and I have been in the wood opening up a ride that usually holds a few Woodcock, its been getting a bit over grown , I bought a new 20ga last year and only got to hunt with it maybe 3 times so excited to get it out after Pheasants this season, and of course the Jeffery 16ga will I'm sure account for a few more game birds in the bag , so yes I am looking forward to the season ahead and days spent with my friends and their dogs .
Look forward to hearing what you all get up to , good luck everyone WJ.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Swampy16,

Me too buddy, I love the change of seasons and Gods most incredible show, Potter County, Pa and Upstate Ny are pretty much the same!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dave, I love Potter, it’s an amazing place. I’ve hunted Galeton with a friend who has a cabin there but has been too busy to hunt the last couple years. We did rather well there.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

We had some great Grouse hunting this past season, made the UP look bad, with bird contact just above 5 birds an hour. If your buddy is not planning to hunt let me know, and you can stay at our log cabin and we will do a little Grouse hunting together.
I have a nice little one story log cabin on the Potter/Tioga County line, Ken is the youngest of our group now, at around 62, some of our guys like Galen are up in their 80's and still Grouse hunting! You are welcome to join the group, we only have 5 Grouse hunters left now, and the guys come at different times, due to their health and family responsibilities. It been a real nice Grouse Camp for over 40 years now, unfortunately some of our members are hunting in God's never ending forest now. In fact we lost 2 fantastic sportsman just this past year.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man