16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington semi autos tearing up hull rims
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Of my 16 gauge fleet two are older Remington semi auto’s that have been handed down. One is a sportsman 48 and the other is a sportsman 58. Both guns are notorious for knicking/tearing up the brass rim when they eject the hull. The 48 is especially bad about it and in either gun if I’m shooting a federal hull there is a 10-20 percent chance it’s going to crack or tear the head off the hull making it unusable. I would prefer to be able to shoot them at will and not have to leave them in the closet until my hulls are at the end of their life.

With 16 gauge ammo being what it is I hate for any hulls life to get shortened from a reloading perspective until it’s done.

Is there anything I can do to help with the problem? Most of my guns are pumps or break guns and this doesn’t seem to be an issue with them.

[/b]
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 am  Reply with quote

I have seen many federal hulls begin. To separate the top of the rim from the underneath side of the rim. And this is being shot from O/U's. I spin the edge of the ring between my fingers. If if has one rough area it's time to pitch it. Never did like the Federal hull. The rim is a 2 piece rim. If I new how to post a picture on here I would. I can only send by message. Federal hulls are poorly made. In 16 ga. Bill
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

My 16 ga. 1100 does not ruin Federal hull rims, nor have I ever had a problem with the metal head coming loose on a Federal hull. Federal metal heads are steel not brass so......

I am thinking it might be a rough chamber(s).

Every 500 rounds or so, I clean the barrel with Hoppe's #9 and the green Scotchbrite. I wrap a small piece (1 1/2" x 2" something in that size range) of Scotchbrite around a jag and run it through the chamber and entire bore. I attach the cleaning rod to a drill motor. The chamber should shine when you are done.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot trap games 2 to 3 times a week. Clean my gun with #9 and brass brush on rod and drill . Clean after every shoot.oil outside of barrel and receiver also. Grease hingepin and external moving parts when putting together at shoot.
kingston_fisher
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:05 am  Reply with quote

My 11-48 chews up hulls and the brass is dished out on the face the hull. I changed the springs and the friction piece, same thing. Used Rem oil, 30 wt, and all things in between. I figure head space is moving toward max and it checks with the wooden dowel method as I suspect.

What I came up with: I made a sizing die out of cold roll bar stock somewhat like the old Lee loader you use with a hammer except my die has a smaller ID than the Lee loader. I hammer the hull on a flat anvil and the hull and rim look good(ish) again. I run them through the MEC after that. I think two reloads is about max on that gun for the Rem GL and Cheddites I typically reload. Hulls fired in the 11-48 are dedicated to that gun.

Now I pretty much do what you suggested you don't want to do. I only shoot the 11-48 on the last load of a hull and toss them after that firing. I shot a round of clays with her and the gun got moved to the back of the safe this year actually. Mine was built in '64. It is not a wall hanger, I killed my first dove with that gun, but it was time to let her rest a little.
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone I will try some cleaning and if not I guess I will just use it on almost shot up hulls.