16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  What is your next 16 Gauge Shotgun?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

Just got my next one: Belgian extractor gun, marked "C. Mode, Paris". The French made good guns themselves, but this is a nice one imported from Belgium. Wood could use some TLC, otherwise quite nice. IC/M, weighs 5/11 with 27" barrels.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have a friend who owns a near mint 16 gauge Parker Trojan he never shoots. Been after him for almost two years to sell it to me -- tell him what an injustice it is to let such a fine firearm languish in the back of his safe, that the shotgun gods frown upon such misbehavior. I think he's starting to crack!

But what i really want (and can afford), believe it or not, is a 16 gauge Lefever Nitro Special with 28" barrels. I just like the looks and feel of the one's I've handled, and they generally seem to fit me better than any other classic SxS. But it seems any I've come across are either abused or waaaaay over blue-book.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

I've got the light (Merkel 1620 @ 5lbs 15 oz) and the heavy (Rem 11 @ 7 lbs) covered. It would be nice to get one in the middle. Let's see, turning 50 in three years, maybe the RBL will be offered in 16 gauge by then.
grouser47
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

My latest 16 ga is a 6 lb 4 oz model 200E Merkel -- circa 1952

Thought that was the last for a while but found a 16 ga A5 in nice shape -- circa 1947 with 2.75 chambers. Put a deposit on it until I recover ($) from this christmas thing. Very Happy
Best to all for the new year!!!
rayb
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

AmarilloMike wrote:
I would have to sell some a whole bunch of guns but the 16 Purdey at Champlin Arms keeps calling my name:

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&mid=345&ctl=GunsDetails&StyleID=10&GunID=588

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

A 100 year old 16 ga. J.P. Sauer boxlock with 28" tubes at a whisper over 6 pounds. By the way for you English traditionalists, Safari Outfitters in Millbrook NY has a couple of gorgeous 16's. A matched pair of (1939) Boss Sidelocks and a (1930) Woodward. I've purchased more than my share of Prussian guns there and have found Niles and his wife to be of stand-up quality. Their website is www.safarioutfittersltd.com I have no interest in any of these guns.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
chilly460
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Nothing too fancy, as I'm preparing for a wedding. However, I did find a Remington Model 58 Sportsman at the gun shop this week. They want too much $$ for it, but it's a neat gun. Very light for a Rem autoloader, typical short LOP of their guns as well. I'd like to find one of these in higher grade with vent rib and nice wood in 16ga to add to the collection.

If I scratch up some cash, I'd love one of the 525 Fields that have come out recently.
popplecop
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Just got, well it's on its way a REM. 31 16 ga. Thanks to Ted from this board bringing it to our attention. Have an eye on 2 more, waiting for the owner to make up his mind. First is a Lefever Nitro and the other a Savage Fox (early one).
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Don't thank me just yet! I haven't seen it, either, just got a heads up from a buddy that it was there. Should be a great piece, however...
Best,
Ted
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 am  Reply with quote

I have been having fun buying, nee, STEALING, Belgian and French EJECTOR guns for $400 to $900, usually having to spruce them up a tad, like usually open chambers and chokes, etc, replace ejector springs, tighten action, but theses are very good guns and nobody wants to pay much for them..... the last one I got is a higher grade Robust (Manufrance) ejector and Charlie (Hill Rod and Gun) is replacing wimpy ejector springs, picking up the chequering, and may have to bend me a little more drop.

These Frenchies and Belgiques are wands, man, usually under 6 pounds, built very tight, and are the best buys in the world, if you want a slight, sleek double for small money (best world buy used to be a Brit non-ejector, but drop in dollar and spike in English guns queered that). I have been shooting a Frenchie 16 for 20 years, non ejector, and it's time for ejectors as a back-up gun. (I left my 5 pound frenchie on top of the pickup after a rooster hunt in November and drove off, it slid off and got dinged up, so as I get older and dumber, I figger I need a backup) After getting them right for you, if it doesn't cut it afield, sell them to friends who are delighted, shocked by both price and quality....you break even at worst, help your buddy into a sweet piece in the perfect gauge, and have fun in the process...

happy new year,

Duncan

bigkev
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have a CSMC Fox DE on order with 30" bbls and a second set in 20 gauge at 29". The gun will have a silver nitride finish and will be engraved with a deep relief pattern similar to the gun featured on their new catalog. There will also be a grouse in flight on the bottom. I was able to pick out a real nice piece of wood. It will have Krupp bbls, skeleton butt plate and come with an oak and leather case. This is my "mid life crisis" gun. At least that is what I told my wife that I wanted instead of the Harley. Should be here in a few months.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

How about this little gem?

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&mid=345&ctl=GunsDetails&StyleID=10&GunID=145

Actually, I have just purchased a Jeffrey 12ga Embarassed from Duncan's buddy Charlie at Hill Rod and Gun. That will probably hold me for '07.

Hc

bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I'm still working on my 2006 16-gauge gun acquisitions. I ended up with the following sxs additions and they are in various states of repair:

LC Smith 16 ga featherweight (28 inch) off at Mike Orlens for choke work - should be ready to shoot after the return trip

French Guild gun (27 inch - about 6 pounds - St. Etienne) off at Mike Orlens for choke work - once she gets back I need to redo the stock, re-blue barrels, and do something with receiver. I have $200 in this one so far britgun, and will have another $140 in her when she gets chambered lengthened and chokes done at Orlen's

Sterlingworth - 28 inch barrels at Orlens for chambers/chokes - two other sets of in-the-white barrels at Paul Fuch's to be fitted - project gun that I hope to have for next FALL when I meet revodocdrew in Russell....

Not that I would turn down any good deals Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge
gjw
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Cool Hi all and Happy New Year!!! Toss up between a Tristar Brittney or a DeHaan S2, don't have alot of $$$$.

Anyone have any suggestions on which one to get and why?

God Bless!!!!

Greg
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

Hal M. Hare wrote:
I'll start it off--

My next 16 gauge will be a CSMC M-21 or a 16 gauge RBL. Both should be available by the time I have the $$$$. 30 inch barrels with screw chokes.

What about you?

maybe one of those Sandusky ithicas.... does anybody know what they might sell for?

-Duncan (PS...Hal, i was born in Columbus, and moved from there to MT in '79...go Bucks...)