16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Magazines
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Garhart again we think a lot alike, because of their foolish climate agenda I did not renew my subscription to their magazine. I did make a few comment on one of the forums about the magazine going down the wrong trail with their climate agenda. In fact I rebutted the article written by one of their writers.

To bad I thought they were going to be a good upland type magazine, instead they started playing the Sierra clubber's Shotgun Journal and this old Grouse hunter knows when somebody is pissing down his boot, and trying to say it's raining.

As usual you are right on the money with your analysis!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

I gave up on outdoor magazine subscriptions around 2001 or 2. Every once in a while I'll buy one off the shelf if the photos inside are good (inspiration for my photography). I remember when I was a poor, inner-city kid that couldn't afford the luxury of magazines. How great it was to have a long wait at the barber shop so I could read OL, SA, F&S, WST & etc. The local library & our school's didn't have those, so the barber shop was my mental escape from the city. I'm sure my memory has gone nostalgic about those stories. The point of this rambling? Good hunting stories, tips, photos and other art have a place of importance in our lives. Where we find those is evolving from paper to screens; hopefully they don't devolve further as they do. Thanks to all the good story tellers, photographers, smiths, and artisans who share on this site.

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

duckup,

Very good post sir, thanks for adding your thoughts!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:44 am  Reply with quote

AMEN, Garhart!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

HammerBill,

I agree with you in a lot of ways, however where I grew up in Potter County, Pa You can still walk out of my Log Cabin Front door and very little has changed. We still Grouse and Woodcock hunt like our Grandfathers did, even using the same guns if we choose too. I still have my sports library to refresh my memory of my Father and Grandfathers days here. Having been drafted in the late 60's I witnessed 1st hand my friends giving their lives for our freedom, and way of life. Magazines are nice however they mean very little to me as far as maintaining my way of life. Our family runs long on Grouse hunting and Fly Fishing, good guns and Bamboo Fly Rods passed down thru generations. It is disappointing to see many of our once very good publications fade away, times do change, not always for the better. My way of life has been what my Father and Grandfather left to me, I know there are politicians who want to take that way of life away from me, I am doing the best I can to preserve our family traditions and teach my family about our countries greatness. Not everything has changed for the worst, make the most out of what the Lord has blessed us with always.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man