16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Belgian Sweet 16 with Polychoke?
case 1775
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
case 1775 wrote:
I have seen model 12s and model 42s sell for quite a bit more because of factory installed poly chokes. They are very rare, thus the value. If your friend's gun came from the factory with a poly choke, then there should not be any choke marked on the barrel.

Thank you, that should pretty much settle the issue right there.
Yep.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:14 am  Reply with quote

Interesting , I have never seen an A5 barrel with a poly choke installed that did not have choke marking .

Riflemaster does the gun you are referring to have a choke mark on the barrel ?

I did not think the Belgium factory ever install poly chokes. I thought they were installed in the states either by Browning ( which was not the factory ) or who ever else would do it.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:43 am  Reply with quote

I have not personally seen the gun yet. Until I have it in my possession, all I know for sure is my brother-in-law said he could not find any choke markings on the barrel. He may or may not know that the A-5 uses the star system for denoting the choke instead of placing it in plain script, so maybe later this week when I get the gun in my hands we'll know for sure. All he knows for sure is when he bought the used gun back in the '80s, he was told the Polychoke was a factory installation. Sorry to drag this thing out so long, but they are busy selling their house, doing yard sales, and working with realtors trying to find a smaller place to live with less maintenance required. He asked me to help sell a few shotguns he's collected over the years, but it's not his highest priority right now.

bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1970 Browning catalogue it shows a A5 skeet with a cutts available and i have a 1971 catalogue that shows accessories fitted to new guns Lyman Cutts Compensator with Spreader and Full Choke tubes $37.95 extra tubes $4.85 . Polychoke Deluxe Ventilated $39.50 Standard Ventilated $35.50 (Specify overall barrel length when ordering ) On a side note the Sweet 16 vent rib had a list price of $236.00 plain barrel cost $221.50.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

The gun was not as pristine as my BIL remembered it being, but still a respectable vintage Sweet Sixteen in good mechanical condition. It does have modified choke indicated on the barrel, so the Polychoke was likely installed by the Browning gunsmiths in St Louis.