16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anyone use Green Dot for 1 oz. loads?
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:03 am  Reply with quote

I'm looking to load up some 1 oz. loads at around 1200 fps for my light doubles. I see a couple 1 oz. loads using Green Dot in the Precision Reloading manual and for what I want to accomplish I see no real downside to using Green Dot.

Does anyone have a 1 oz. Green Dot load that they really like?

On a related note I was looking on the Precision Reloading website to see if they ever upgraded their manual and I see they no longer sell it. (Blanks to Supersonics). What's up with that?
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:15 am  Reply with quote

Dave, Carl did awhile back think you were on the texts between the 3 of us.

Ched\Ched SG16 and 18.0 gr. GD it is listed in the spreadsheet as 1165 with BPI as the source. They ran across his chrono at 1225 fps so he was going to back off to 17.2 gr. Typical BPI data, off and in the wrong way. Pressure is listed as 8,400 so plenty of headroom for whatever it really may be.

Put a certified check in the mail earlier this week for a new gun. 16 ga. Tristar G2 Viper Bronze and plan loading up some Ched\Ched SG16 with 18 gr. of GD to help break it in. Meeting another Dave from Wi. tomorrow (he says he knows you) at Scheels in Eau Claire. Buying 4 boxes of 16 ga. 1 1/8 oz. 7.5 Federals from him at 1290 fps. That should really help break it in LOL. Doing some other horse trading and picking up 2 bags of 7.5 and 2 bags of 8 shot at Scheels. Paid for and in holding at customer service.

I heerd you gots some Nickle plated 6's LOL
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Dave, Carl did awhile back think you were on the texts between the 3 of us.

Ched\Ched SG16 and 18.0 gr. GD it is listed in the spreadsheet as 1165 with BPI as the source. They ran across his chrono at 1225 fps so he was going to back off to 17.2 gr. Typical BPI data, off and in the wrong way. Pressure is listed as 8,400 so plenty of headroom for whatever it really may be.

Put a certified check in the mail earlier this week for a new gun. 16 ga. Tristar G2 Viper Bronze and plan loading up some Ched\Ched SG16 with 18 gr. of GD to help break it in. Meeting another Dave from Wi. tomorrow (he says he knows you) at Scheels in Eau Claire. Buying 4 boxes of 16 ga. 1 1/8 oz. 7.5 Federals from him at 1290 fps. That should really help break it in LOL. Doing some other horse trading and picking up 2 bags of 7.5 and 2 bags of 8 shot at Scheels. Paid for and in holding at customer service.

I heerd you gots some Nickle plated 6's LOL

Mike, I'll have to scroll back through a mile of texts, but I vaguely remember Carl mentioning it. Thanks! I'll give that load a try, maybe see what 17-17.5 gr. yields.

Yep, I know Dave and have done some ammo deals and wad swaps with him. Good guy!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing how you like your Tristar. They sound like good guns.
df
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:31 am  Reply with quote

I would not use BPI data, period.
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I believe that 18gr load came from the Alliant data in 1998 per my own reloading spreadsheet, there is also similar data in the alliant 1996 manual I have a copy of.

1996 data Fiocchi hull
2.5” hull, fio 616, waa16 or active g-28 wad, 1 ounce shot, 17.5@9400(win wad) 18.0 gr @ 8200( active wad) 1165 ft/s

2.75” hull, fio 616, waa16 wad, 1 ounce shot, 18.0 gr @ 10,500 (win wad), 1220 ft/s

I also have a bpi load listed that I loaded and shot though I am leary of bpi data.
Cheddite hull, cheddite primer, 19.4 gr green dot, Sg-16, 1 ounce of shot 1270@ 8500 psi.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info, Stx4wheeler.

As soon as the rain stops I'm going to chronograph a sampling of the following that I just put together. (hand weighed)

Winchester Poly (Cheddite) hull
W209
17 gr. Green Dot
1 oz. lead

Winchester Poly (Cheddite) hull
W209
17.5 gr. Green Dot
1 oz. lead

1150-1200 fps would be fine as these will be ruffed grouse loads with hard 7 shot.
-----------------------

Below is some info I copy/pasted from Mike Campbell. Different primer and wad, but I think it follows the trend.

"I had Armbrust test this one as a maximum load:

16ga Win Poly Formed
28 gm (1 ounce)
F209A
DR16
18.0 Gr Dot
1242 fps
10,800 psi
I expect any one change to a) less shot, b) milder primer, c) less powder to be in the direction of lower pressure.

I loaded 7/8 ounce with 17.7 grains in 3 different hulls with 5 different primers and the range of the average velocities for those 15 recipes was 1226-1259 fps.
My bread and butter straightwall load is 7/8 ounce with 15.5 grains Green Dot (my MEC #27)and F209A primer for right on 1200fps."
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I really wish Mike wouldn't have deleted all his posts when he left. But I managed to grab the same info you did. In fact have some of yours in my notes too Very Happy

Friend of mine owns a house in SD that I stay in first couple of weeks in Nov. He will not take any money as he doesn't want to upset any tax advantage that house provides him. He will take gifts however and it is always a struggle to come up with something. He couldn't get 16 ga. RST shells this year and Monday before last told him when he was going back from SD to Va. I would have some shells for him.

100 #9 shot 15.5 gr. GD with Ched\Ched DR16 for skeet
100 #8 shot 15.5 gr. GD with Ched\Ched DR16 for 5 stand\sporting
330 #7.5 shot 17.2 gr. GD with Ched\Ched DR16 for grouse\woodcock in Wi. where he is originally from and hunts each year yet.

I made something like 750 rounds in the 17.2 loads and cherry picked the crimps for him and kept the rest for myself. Shot them Sunday with Jon in my Iside. Instantly became a convert to 7.5 in 7/8 oz. with 17.2 over the 15.5 #8 I have been using.

Told my friend that if he uses up all 330 rounds this year in Wi. I will start hunting grouse in Wi. instead of Mn. LOL.

Based on the other posts in this thread I think you are on the right track with the 1 oz. loads. I remembered earlier today where Carl got the 18 gr. of GD for 1 oz. it was from Jeff. As in the Sweet 16 shoot Jeff.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:

Shot them Sunday with Jon in my Iside. Instantly became a convert to 7.5 in 7/8 oz. with 17.2 over the 15.5 #8 I have been using.

Interesting. Better breaks?
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Dave yes but less smoke on close targets.

Because of you I finally bought a bore gauge and before I left measured my chokes at .008 and .018. Still not sure where my other dozen FAIR chokes are from last hunting season LOL so ran with it. Austin had set up some what Jon calls Big Boy targets. And they were. Those 7.5 17.2 gr. GD shells smacked them with authority and then some.

Started off with my 12 ga. Cordoba which I haven't shot in over a year. Felt kind of awkward to be honest so went up to the truck and grabbed the Iside and bags of "rejects" I had loaded for the Admiral.

Shot a 22 and 23 with them the 23 was almost the highest. That damn Jon guy..... But I am on his shirttails lately and some days even beat him lately Very Happy But I would not put money on it for a regular basis LOL.

Been a year and a half since I ordered my 16 ga. Dickinson Plantation Sporter from Pacific Sporting Arms. Seen Fieldsport in the last week has started to receive some in. Fingers crossed! I think it will be perfect. Could be wishful thinking but am sure it will still be a great fit in between the 12 and 20 Dickinson's that I have.

I am sure that you noticed that I did not shoot your 16 B. Rizzini at H&H even though you offered, I did it for a reason LOL. You shoot that thing lights out, great choice!
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, after shooting mostly 8's at targets for the last few decades I finally decided to go with 7.5's this year. I was always a little concerned about pattern density with 7/8 oz of 7.5's, but I got over that real quick this summer.

I got the same .008 & .018 on my IC and Mod Iside chokes, and they perform great in the field. Those bore gauges are accurate. I measured my 12 ga. Briley chokes which were custom made for my backbored 686 and they were .005 .010 .015 .020 ... It's a great tool and nearly a must-have device for those of us who get into these things. Cool

My Rizzini Comp 16 will probably get one more round of super sporting on Sunday then it will rest until next spring. I haven't shot my SxS's all summer and next week is September! That said, LaCrescent will throw targets through September, so I should be able to get in 700-800 rounds with the doubles and be ready for the real thing.

Ya, that Jon is one hell of a shot.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:10 am  Reply with quote

I am getting 1150-1160 fps with :

Fed hull
Win 209
17gr Gd
Sg16 wad
1oz
Fold crimp

I too saved quite a bit of MCs info

And also some of the infamous Dave E's info. Very Happy

Last edited by fn16ga on Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:52 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
And also some the infamous Dave E's info. Very Happy

That worthless piece of $hit? Wink

Thanks for the load above!
castnblast
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Not to be a buzz kill, but where are you guys finding DR16 wads? I have only a few left and I'm using them sparingly for some pet 7/8 oz 15gr/cc loads.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:19 am  Reply with quote

castnblast wrote:
Not to be a buzz kill, but where are you guys finding DR16 wads? I have only a few left and I'm using them sparingly for some pet 7/8 oz 15gr/cc loads.

None available for now (as far as I know) I think we're are all using what we have on hand. I do know Graf's has the Claybuster 0078-16 in stock. I just received a couple cases.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Lymans 5th -RGL , 700x @15.5 , 1241 , 10.8K SP wad with 20ga filler .....or , 18.0 green dot , same wad combo 1266 @ 9.8K ...7/8 loads ...... what I do is drop the 700X load down a grain and am confident I can use Red Dot , Clays or any similar powder . The neater thing about the RGL load is that the SP or RP wads are made for that case and it totally eliminates powder migration and other similar problems . If you have some old RP wads , you can drop the filler ...... also , this data book does push 1oz loads in Fed , Fio cases with Green Dot @19 grns . Still with Rem wads though .