16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anyone use Green Dot for 1 oz. loads?
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Ran some test loads through the Chrony this morning. (3' from the front screen.)

16 ga. (of course)

Winchester Poly (Cheddite) hull
1 oz. Mag 8's
17 Green Dot
SG16
W209
1180 fps

Winchester Poly (Cheddite) hull
1 oz. Mag 8's
17.5 Green Dot
SG16
W209
1205 fps

2.5" Cheddite (factory primed)
1 oz Mag 8's
15 gr. Green Dot
Z16 (B&P wad)
1110 fps

Of the first two loads I'm going to work with the 2nd one with 17.5 gr. Green Dot. I'll see how they pattern next trip.

I don't know what to think about the 2.5" load. Precision Reloading list the exact same load except the primer. Precision Reloading used a W209, and I just loaded the factory primed hull with its Cheddite primer. Their load was listed at 1193 @ 9370 psi. I figured at that level of pressure the primer swap was safe. BUT, I'm not comfortable upping the powder charge to try to get my desired 1200 fps.

Of course I could load my 2.5" Cheddite hulls with W209 primers, but the last time I tried it I had primers falling out of the hulls. Not going there again.

If anyone has a 1 oz. 1200 fps load using the Z16 wad without needing fillers for a good crimp please (pretty-please)(with sugar on top) share it with me. I have pretty much have all of the hulls and primers, but right now only workable quantities of W209 and Cheddite primers. I have Green Dot, Unique, Universal, Solo 1250, International Clays, and Longshot on hand.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dave , I see you got the same results with PR load as I did .

I did have tested a GD dot load and a Unigue load in a 2.5" Ched hull, Ched 209, z16wad , I need to check but if I recall correctly the Unique load at 18.5 was around 1220 fps and 10900psi

Let me look to make sure.

Last edited by fn16ga on Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Dave , I see you got the same results with PR load as I did .

I did have test a GD dot load and a Unigue load in a 2.5" Ched hull, Ched 209, z16wad , I need to check but if I recall correctly the Unique load at 18.5 was around 1220 fps and 10900psi

Let me look to make sure.

Mark, sounds good, thanks!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

If anyone needs, I did print a copy of the Green Dot spreadsheet a few years ago. Most are 1 oz. loads with a few 7/8 oz. I also have the 16 ga. spreadsheets from the old Yahoo Groups site.

Green Dot is my choice for 7/8 oz. loads. I like a little slower powder for 1 oz. loads, but if GD was all I had, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Wyo. I have all the spreadsheets and have come away cross-eyed more than once sifting through the data. It's a great resource.

I'm not locked into Green Dot for this load, but I do want to hold it to 1200-1220 fps. I figure I'd be running a little higher pressure with Green Dot vs Unique/Universal, but I don't see that as a negative. Now if I wanted more velocity, yes, that's the U-powders' wheelhouse.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Another load I'd like to explore is a 1 1/8 oz load of 5's around 1100-1150 with the Z16 wad.
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Dave The 2 2 3/4 in versions you posted look very very close to the numbers I got and forwarded you. Maybe it answers our question of how different do yours and mine chronos end up measuring out. I know you do 3 ft vs 5 that my manufacturer notes. My note says it was 55degrees out but I didnt note sun or shade. I have noticed much better consistency with the screens in the shade. How many shots did you fire and what was the spread fps-wise?

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Dave The 2 2 3/4 in versions you posted look very very close to the numbers I got and forwarded you. Maybe it answers our question of how different do yours and mine chronos end up measuring out. I know you do 3 ft vs 5 that my manufacturer notes. My note says it was 55degrees out but I didnt note sun or shade. I have noticed much better consistency with the screens in the shade. How many shots did you fire and what was the spread fps-wise?

Carl, my Chrony also specifies 5' from the transducer, but I find when I move up to 3' my results are much closer to Tom Armbrust's when he tests my loads.

4 shots each. Yes, I know 10 is better, but I always get a good enough idea with 4, and when Tom's results always dovetail with mine.

The spreads in order: the 17.0 gr load 10, the 17.5 load 6, and that dang 2.5" load 5.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Swinging back to Unique....for the 2.5" Z16 load.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:23 am  Reply with quote

2.5" Cheddite (factory primed)
1 oz Mag 8's
15 gr. Green Dot
Z16 (B&P wad)
1110 fps

Retested the above load with 18.5 gr. of Unique and got 1190 fps. That's what I wanted for my light AyA. Next step will be looking at the patterns.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Let us know how it works out.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:10 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Let us know how it works out.

Will do. My AyA is my main grouse gun, but I want to see if I can tighten the .003 right barrel just a tad for days when I want to use it on pheasants.

In my experience the Z16 wad does pattern tight. I'll be patterning with Precision Reloading's nickel-plated 6 shot.

The best pheasant load I've used is the B&P F2 #5's. Of course they use the B&P Z16 wad. It hammers them near and far. Those loads are fine for my Iside, but I want keep my AyA in the 1 oz/1200 range.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked up my new Tristar G2 Bronze, in 16 ga. of course. Supposed to shoot heavy loads through it first to help break it in. Hopefully shoot a hundred or so Saturday then Sunday if all goes well will start to introduce some Federals and then Herters into the mix.

Between Savage16 and double vision decided to load up a couple hundred Ched\Ched SG16 1 oz. with 18.0 gr. of Green Dot for this weekend. That should get R done I would think. I was going to go with 17.2 but last night on the phone Savage16 called me a wimp when I suggested going light LOL. He would be correct though and for beak in 18.0 would be a better choice.

double vision hopefully see you both days. Double the fun! Laughing
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, I'll be shooting with you guys both days. Looking forward to seeing your new Bronze 16. I'm trying to tell myself that I don't need an auto, but with ducks and the occasional nasty wet pheasant outing it would be quite a useful gun for not too much moola.

I definitely will be shooting SxS's this weekend because I haven't shot them all summer and I'm heading for Montana in a little over a week. You probably figured that out from the 5-way chat we have going.

Now I need to step up the loading of more ammo. The Ched\Ched SG16 1 oz. w/17.5 gr. Green Dot load will get Lawrence Mag 7's and I figure it will be good medicine for sharptails and huns. When I went back to the range this morning to work with the 2.5" Unique load I shot 3 more of the 17.5/Green Dot loads and they fell right in with the others at 1205-ish fps. I like the load. Maybe I'll have a bird picture to add here in a couple three weeks.
Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

19gr GD, Fed or Win 209. Love GD in 16ga.. Original data is from Alliant with a Fed209 and 9/8oz load.