16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Budget friendly 16 gauge sxs clays gun
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:15 am  Reply with quote

I shot a good bit of skeet, trap, and some sporting clays along with hunting a good bit with a rebranded Steven 5100 sold by ranger. It’s choked mod and full which isn’t the best for clay games but gets the job done when pointed correctly.

I have thought about looking for another 16 side by side then modify more for clay games. One thought would be to look for a 16 side by side that had 30” barrels to add a little more weight to the gun and then send these barrels off for thin choke wall installation (preferred option) or get the barrels opened up to IC and skt 1.

Second option would be to find another set of barrels for my 5100 then get the barrels opened up. These would likely require fitting which I have been toying with trying out myself or have to be sent off.

Third option just send my current barrels off for thin wall choke install if the thickness is enough. I’m a little hesitant as the finish on these barrels isn’t stellar so I would need to refinish them at some point as well.

Goal would be get get better performance and stay around that 1000-1200 price as it seems most side by sides with the qualities I’m looking for are in the $2500 price range and that is just more than I’m looking to spend at this point.

I’m not to worried about gun value after modification on the three above options since the guns are lower end to begin with.

Are there anything other options in missing? What options sounds the best to everyone?
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Buy this??

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/904093841

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Good find! I've bought from them several times.
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, that one is already on my watchlist hopefully I can get it for a good price.
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

FAIR makes a nice 16 sxs, might be able to talk them into a 30" barrel.
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

Fair does seem to make what I want but it does seem to be in that 2k plus price today which I’m not ready to spend at this time for a novelty project.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I really wish the cz side by side ringneck and sharp tail came with screw in chokes as I have a cz bobwhite g2 that patterns exceptionally, just not a giant fan of the straight stock.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/909527266
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:16 am  Reply with quote

The link above is one of several 30" 16 gauge Isides on Gunbroker. When I bought my 30" 16 gauge Iside it was strictly a custom order proposition. They're not overly fancy, but they shoot beautifully and they are tough guns.

That said, I wouldn't buy one strictly for clays.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Had a CZ Ringneck in 16 ga--in your pricerange
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

I personally would look for an LC Smith. The only “weakness” these guns “may” have is the infamous Smith crack which is behind the locks. It’s normally caused by firing heavy loads in a gun that has had wood shrinkage. The way to eliminate it is by making sure the screw under the trigger guard is kept tight and also by having the stock head glassed. These guns are bombproof other than this issue which does not happen in all of them. They’re typically heavy for a 16 unless you find a pre 1913 model. I shoot a 12 for vintage clays and even after thousands and thousands of rounds it’s still as tight as it was the day I bought it.
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:
The link above is one of several 30" 16 gauge Isides on Gunbroker. When I bought my 30" 16 gauge Iside it was strictly a custom order proposition. They're not overly fancy, but they shoot beautifully and they are tough guns.

That said, I wouldn't buy one strictly for clays.

I agree. Really like mine but at less than 6 lbs, a dedicated clays gun, it is not. Buddy of mine shot a round of skeet with mine recently. Said it beat the crap out of him. Can’t say it bothers me that much but definitely feel more recoil.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

I've been tossing around the idea of selling my Hunter Arms "Hunter Special". Not 100% what you're looking for but might work for what you want to do- 28" barrels, chokes opened to Sk1/Sk2, weight is right around 7lbs. Chambers are still 2 9/16" so that might be a detriment. Price would be well below that $1500 mark. Just throwing it out there.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
hayseed
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter, do you know when your gun was made? My understanding is that chambers were lengthened to 2 3/4 in the 1930’s. I have one that has the 2 3/4 chambers.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

The first two guns that come to mind are the Ithaca NID model and the Lefever Nitro Special. Finding a heavier example with 30" barrels should not be too difficult. I have seen some pretty heavy Parkers, but the price is going to be fairly high on anything from the brothers "P".

The two Ithaca built guns I mention are usually affordable, have 2 3/4" chambers, offer a single trigger option, and the barrel steel used generally cuts real nice when one reams the chokes (some european guns are a real bugger to cut cleanly as the steel alloy likes to chip and roll for some reason-poor workability qualities).

With either of these guns there would be plenty of money left over for custom work.

Another option is a Spanish built gun since many are heavier guns. The bad part is that the metallurgy of many affordable makes is not good and wear can be an issue with high volume of fire. I once owned a Spanish 10 ga. double that shot loose after a few snow goose seasons. It was still functional and safe to shoot, but the amount of slop in the parts relegated it to more of a coyote gun, so I sold it real cheap to my cousin who wanted a beater 10 ga. for just that.

67galaxie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Husquvarna