16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  1897 Refinishing
Achorba
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:26 am  Reply with quote

I’m interested in having a 50’s era Winchester model 1897 in 16 gauge refinished. The gun is in good working order. From what I can tell, it would need the barrel and receiver blued and stock/forearm refinished. The receiver and barrel may need a few minor scratches polished out.

Before anyone says I’m ruining the value and character of the gun and I should just shoot it as is, it’s already been “tinkered” with by a previous owner. The stock has some sort of lacquer finish and the metal has been reblued at some point.

Has anyone here had any similar project professionally completed by Briley, Simmons, or Turnbull? If so I’m interested in your opinion of the work completed.

Also, what is the correct bluing for a 50’s era 97? Did Winchester use rust and charcoal during this time? Would it be suggested that I have rust and charcoal completed? I have read the final product as well as future patina are much more appealing. What stock finish is suggested? Oil or other?

Obviously I’m not worried about having the gun restored to factory. I’m looking to have a sharp looking field gun.
win7stw
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Send it to Arts Gun Shop for a complete restoration.
Glen Rock Blue could rust blue it for you and they have a guy near them that does an excellent job refinishing stocks

Achorba
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Thanks. I was unaware they worked on 97’s. I sent them a sweet 16 for restore last year and it turned out great. I may look in to it.
Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Another choice might be Eubanks in southwest Idaho.

kgb
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

My M97 had a lot of wear on it and I needed a bluing project at gunsmith school sooooo into the tanks it went. Had a lot of blue worn off and a good bit of rust around the top of the receiver extension, so a very appropriate candidate. I don't know if it's a common thing with them but when I started filing the receiver it revealed a greater number of high spots vs the other shotguns I'd redone, including single shots, a Model 12 and an Ithaca M37. No big deal as nothing looked overdone when the gun was finished, maybe it's just the way those guns were made originally.

The caustic salt bluing tanks at school were used for all appropriate rifle and shotgun jobs, someone restoring a M97 properly would likely use a slightly different formula, or they might use a milder form of rust blue to get their results. I might have gone to a higher level of polish than the factory did, even without using a buffing wheel the sandpaper I ended up on gave maybe a bit more shine than might have been applied by the factory. Somewhere I've got after pictures of my gun, here are some before shots.

Last edited by kgb on Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Beagleman
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:43 am  Reply with quote

I cleaned up and got my 1897 in great shooting order using a local gunsmith. It ain't perfect condition , but hit shoots perfect. This was accomplished for a few $100's as opposed to the amount that would be spent for a complete Turnbull redo... Your purposes may be different than mine.

Beagleman
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:08 am  Reply with quote

Duplicate- sorry...

Last edited by Beagleman on Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:48 am  Reply with quote

If you don't need it perfect , a decent local guy is OK . If not send to a high end guy . there is a PILE of small parts to deal with which creates polishing issues etc . Out of 6 re-dos , maybe happy with one .... Turnbull may be a little over the top .

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Skill is where you find it. My best friend had our local Amish gunsmith restore his grandfather's 97. It had some serious use and a 1" or so gouge in the stock. When it was completed it looked like it just came out of the box. I couldn't believe how nice it came out.
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Took some after pictures today, look closely at the lettering and you can see there are a couple of pits remaining at the lettering next to the receiver extension. I was worried about the depth of pits on the extension itself and that it would look reshaped by the time enough filing eliminated them but it turned out okay. Pits on the barrel itself weren't quite as bad but I wasn't willing to go down to the lettering to get them all and this is how it turned out. Also limited the amount of filing on some of the parts within the receiver, it would be up to you on your gun just what level you want them cleaned up and shiny. Find elements of the work on my gun that you like AND dislike and pass that on to whomever you have do the work on yours. Good luck with it!

bbrown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful, KGB. Love that klickety-klack of those 97s.

1 Tim 1:15
BWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

That is NICE!
Bob
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Looks great, Kirk!
Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

KGB, that is really nice work. Mine was not pitted and has no rust now. It could be reblued, but it has character as is...

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the kudos, understand that I do not know how correct-to-original I completed the metal finish or bluing. If it were not for the deep pitting I don't think I would have done this particular gun, and it might stand as a reference point for someone contemplating the work.

A friend of my father gave me a number of guns to refinish, a good variety of rifles and shotguns that didn't look out of place to me with new shine, I did take in a WWII era Walther PP and told the instructor I would not put a high polish on it as it was not produced that way (1944), and was told it would result in a low grade. Not that I cared much beyond passing the course, but the desire to refinish it at all suddenly disappeared.